Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

colonoscopy pre meds

Posted by lulu 
lulu
colonoscopy pre meds
January 06, 2012 02:29PM
Last month I was in paroxysmal afib for about a day before I was to have a colonoscopy screening procedure. When I went in for the colonoscopy I was hooked up to an iv and given a low dose of fentanyl and a good dose of versed. Before I fell asleep I noted (and it was confirmed afterwards) that I had spontaneously converted to sinus rhythm right after receiving the fentanyl and versed. I am not sure they were even completely thru the iv and into my arm when I went into NSR. The 2 doctors I have asked about this since it happened have both acted like I was drugseeking just by mentioning it. Has anyone else ever heard of this? I don't find anything written about this being researched but has anyone else had a similar experience?
Zach
Re: colonoscopy pre meds
January 06, 2012 06:29PM

Lulu,

That is very interesting. I was talking to my EP at a recent follow up, and he told me that the those meds can actually make the ectopics stop during the procedure. He mentioned that is a reason why he will not ablate someone unless they have a certain amount of ectopics a day. If they are not frequent enough, by the time he goes in to ablate the source, he can't find it because of the meds.

Zach
McHale
January 06, 2012 09:16PM
Zach,
You had the Artic Front Ablation if I remember correctly? How's your progress?
lulu
January 07, 2012 12:20AM
Thanks for responding. It seems like if this is true for some people, it could be a gentle way to cardiovert. I can see the EPs point about being confusing for an ablation procedure though. Either way fentanyl and versed may supress ectopics to the point of restoring nsr. Wish I knew more about this but could find nothing til your input. Thanks again.
Zach
January 07, 2012 11:46AM
McHale,

Things are going well. I had the ablation in April, and so far so good. I got sick a couple of weeks ago and started getting PVC's, which I had never gotten before. Went to see the EP and he said my heart is just more sensitive now, and they should go away in a few weeks. Getting sick more than likely made me dehydrated and with my body trying to fight off the virus, I started getting some PVC's. I made sure to drink more water and supplement and they are starting to go away. They were not that bad, but going from having nothing, to all of a sudden having PVC's overnight was a little alarming.

I have been really happy with how things have gone so far. It helps having such an accessible doctor as well. When I started getting these PVC's, I called and got in with Dr. Su. He spent close to 30-35 minutes explaining why it more than likely happened, what to expect, and how I can try and make them go away quicker. Every time I go and see him I leave impressed and thinking not only what great doctor he is, but what a great guy he is as well. He seems to really care.

Hope all is well McHale!

Zach
Mike Law
January 10, 2012 06:10AM
Hi Lulu,

Same thing happened to me. The pre-colonoscopy meds through me into a-fib and the versed and fentanyl put me into NSR. It was short lived however until I got my electrolytes back into balance. The pre-colonoscopy meds through everything out of whack.
earl
January 10, 2012 08:11AM
Read this topic with interest. Had a thought though about pre meds. If you are refering to the mag citrate enema, may be a cause since the mag balance in your gut may be shifted as well as the hydration rate of your body overall with the constant evacuation.
lulu
January 11, 2012 07:28PM
Glad I am not the only one. I was in afib before I started that bowel prep. Either way it is interesting that fentanyl and versed cardioverted it. Such a gentle method compared to a shock.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login