Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking for treatment advice

Posted by Bruce S 
Bruce S
Looking for treatment advice
September 18, 2011 04:57PM
Hello all,

Unfortunately, I'm back again seeking advice. Brief history - lone, persistent AF; age 53; 6 ablation procedures; procedures performed at Cedars Sinai, Daniel Freeman and Good Samaritan; last ablation procedure performed early 2010; recently diagnosed with primary aldosteronism which was discovered due to low potassium; had adrenal gland removed on August 2nd; heart converted from atrial flutter and had blissful 30 days of NSR; recently, heart went into atrial tach which was a new and by far the worst arryhythmia that I've ever experienced. Had a cardioversion on Friday, Sept 9th and switched from Tikosyn to flecainide; an arryhythmia returned on the 15th. Will visit the cardiologist to get a diagnosis this week.

I'm at a loss as to the next step. I just know that I can't has any quality of life with my current situation. I live in So Cal but I'm willing to travel anywhere in the U.S. for any procedure and I'm willing to consider invasive procedures. My current cardiologist is also at a loss as to what to do next. I don't know whether I should try another ablation with someone like Dr. Natale or consider a more invasive procedure such as the mini-maze or the Five- Box maze.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bruce S

Lorenzo
Re: Looking for treatment advice
September 19, 2011 03:57AM
if you can afford it i would go to bordeux, france to see the experts there.
Bruce S
September 19, 2011 04:17AM
Thanks Lorenzo. I have good insurance but I doubt they would spring for a trip to France.

Bruce S
September 19, 2011 04:49AM
Bruce - If a consult with Dr. Natale would be possible for you, I'd highly recommend it. He's used to cleaning up other EPs failed ablations. People in his reception area compare notes on how many failed ablations they've endured when they come to him as a last resort.

In the interim, you should definitely become aware of the information in both The Strategy and CR 72 because the combination information in both may help you improve significantly while you're waiting and you may not need the 7th.

Remember that the body is functionally electric. Atrial fibrillation is a disturbance of the electrical system of the heart. The electrolytes and key nutrients that are responsible for maintaining proper voltage in all cells (especially heart cells) are those we emphasize here on the forum... but most importantly, the fact that most people are magnesium deficient plus their diets don't favor the requisite 4:1 dietary ratio of Potassium to sodium intake. That just perpetuates the problem because if you are low in voltage, your body doesn't function properly... especially heart cells.

Also, it may be time to assess your dietary intake for quality foods. A really healthy diet is beneficial to everyone and not just afibbers. Many misconceptions exist about what healthy eating really is so if you haven't assessed your overall food sources, now might be a good time to start.

I can certainly appreciate your frustration after six failed ablations and I do hope that when you wade through all this information, something jumps out at you that might signify a missing link.

Best to you,
Jackie

[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]

[www.afibbers.org]
[lpi.oregonstate.edu]
Howie
September 19, 2011 01:23PM
Bruce S
September 20, 2011 01:19PM
Jackie,

Thank you again for the generous gift of your time. And thank you Howie for the contact info on Natale. I didn't know he was also at Scripps, which is much more convenient than San Francisco. I've scheduled a consultation appointment.

Subsequent to booking the appointment with Dr. Natale, I got a copy of my last renal panel and my potassium level was 5.6 and some of my other kidney markers were out of whack. I've gone from low potassium to high potassium since the removal of my adrenal gland. Perhaps this is why I converted to NSR after the surgery but subsequently went back into arrhythmia. I haven't been taking potassium supplements but I have been eating potassium rich food. I've booked an appt with the nephrologist to see if I can find out what's going on.

Thank you,

Bruce S
September 21, 2011 09:12AM
Bruce - yes - that's a bit high...the 5.6... and what that means in terms of conflict is that if your intracellular levels of magnesium are low, then too much potassium can cause problems just as if there is too little. I'm glad you'll be seeing the nephrologist. Let us know what you learn.

Jackie
Drew
September 26, 2011 12:47AM
Bruce,
I was diagnosed with atrial flutter at age 34, had an ablation at Duke University to solve that but during the ablation the EP found significant a fib coming from the pulmunary veins. Given my age and excellent health (I play soccer regularly) he suggested pharmaceuticals to control the rhythem. I went through fleccanide, propaphenone, and tikosen over a 5 year period. All three stopped working after a period of success. I took all caffeine and alcohol out of my diet and worked with nutritionist to follow some of the recommendations on this site. I lost a few pounds but the afib continued. Last February I went back for a more extensive ablation and I've been in rhythem ever since. I'm not sure if I got lucky or the docs at Duke are better than the rest, but it can't hurt to ask. I worked with Dr. Patrick Hranitsky and would recommend him.
Bruce S
September 27, 2011 12:13PM
Jackie,

Unfortunately since the removal of my adrenal gland I am showing a significant loss of kidney function. The Nephrologist is baffled as to why. I have a CT scan scheduled for tomorrow. I am fairly confident that my arrhythmia is related to the primary aldosteronism and the current issues with my kidneys. But alas, I now have bigger things to worry about. I have postponed by appt with Dr. Natale until November.

Thanks you,

Bruce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login