Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What to do when in AFIB?

Posted by Matthew 
Matthew
What to do when in AFIB?
December 27, 2010 02:05PM
Okay - Right now when I go into afib I take a lopressor pill and an asprin and pray that I go back into NSR. Is there anything else I can do that can assist with getting back? I've seen things like:

1. Take cold shower
2. Take deep breaths
3. Take supplements (magnesium, potassium, taurine)

Has anything helped anyone else get back into rhythm? I'm getting a blood test to determine if my levels are out of wack. I had bad cholesterol a few years back, but I'm not sure if this would be a cause.

Thanks,

Matt
RalphL
Re: What to do when in AFIB?
December 27, 2010 05:22PM
Hi Matt,
Not knowing your medical history, and not being an MD, or what med's you may be taking would make it difficult to give you a specific answer. I have had parox afib for quite a number of years and what I found helpful to get back into NSR is some sort of stress mediation by meditation. Sounds like you did the right thing by taking the beta-blocker. I have hypertension and take atenolol for it and the afib. Whenever I get an episode, I will dissolve 25-50mg tablet of atenolol under my tongue and then do same with 0.5mg tab of lorazepam (ativan), which helps relieve the anxiety. You may also want to add a glass of low sodium V8 veggie juice that will give you about 800mg of potassium. I've found that it takes time for the supplements to work. If you are feeling overwhelmed and stressed, you may want to seek counselling from a professional (as I have done and continue to do).

Hoping you feel better soon.
Cheers,
Ralph
Barb H.
December 28, 2010 03:15PM
And as in my earlier post..it depends on what type of afibber you are. For me, a vagal afibber, stress reduction and meditation did nothing for me. A beta blocker can be counter productive for those of us who are vagal afibbers. But a brisk walk did wonders for me to STOP an episode - hundreds of times. I would go outside or to the gym and walk briskly while in afib...sometimes I'd have to stop for a bit and sometimes I'd change the pace of my walk - sometimes having to walk very fast - and then I could almost feel my body change over to NSR. Do some searches on here for "vagal" afibbers and see if you have most of those tendencies..if so, try moderate exercise - aerobic kind, not things like weight lifting! If you are not vagal, then stress reduction and things may help more.

And definitely try adding more absorbable magnesium and then potassiuim (if you've been tested to find you have healthy kidneys first) and taurine. most people need 1000 - 3000 mgs. of taurine for it to be effective.

~ Barb
December 29, 2010 05:29AM
Matt - when do the majority of your events begin?

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login