Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium Depletion

Posted by James 
James
Magnesium Depletion
November 26, 2010 08:11AM
I had a flutter ablation a couple of weeks ago and almost immediately started having ectopic. I received a lot of morphine during the procedure and I suspect this depleted much of my magnesium stores hence the ectopics. This is all just a theory but I needed to start somewhere to reduce the ectopics.

In take Solarat brand magnesium chelate 200 Mgs. and I normally take about 800 mgs a day which is not sufficient for soft bowel movement but keeps my nsr fairly stable. I have to take about 1200 mgs a day to get soft bowels. Right now I am taking about 1200 mgs a day with no soft bowel movement. Is this change because my reserves have been so diminished it will take a while to build them up again? What doage can I go up to safely

In also take 2 or 3 Klor Con M20 tablets a day. I know this is high but I have had a couple of tests over the last two months that show my potassium levels are normal despite the dosage and I have healthy kidneys. I’ve read Jackie’s posts about cooling it with the potassium until my magnesium stores are up. Would this be advised in my case?

I am also taking about 2000 mgs of Taurine plus CoQ10 and fish oil.
Re: Magnesium Depletion
November 27, 2010 02:15AM
James - your magnesium probably had much competition during the procedure and with the morphine. Just increase very slowly if you feel the need to but don't rush it as diarrhea will just deplete all the electrolytes and other nutrients. You'll just have to experiment with the potassium....and magneisum combo.... to determine if more or less potassium has any influence on the ectopics.

Remember from The Strategy report, there are more nutrients involved than just the Mg and K+. You may find that adding 3 - 4 grams of Omega 3 fish oils helps with inflammation and will also be calming. I'd be using taurine as well if you aren't already.

Jackie

[www.afibbers.org]
James
November 28, 2010 02:35AM
Thanks Jackie. This is a very informative article. I think what is happening in my case is that I reach a somewhat normal state and then continue with that dosage without being attentive to fluctuations. What is also confusing is that my RBC levels are in range when tested.

In August my RBC level was 4. 5 and I went into afib briefly on the day of the test. I was travelling at this time and so I have a fairly good memory of my afib and aflutter incidents. The week prior to the test I was sweating heavily and went into afib and aflutter and increased my dosage of magnesium and potassium and that is how it increased to 4.5. Perhaps a level of 4.5 isn’t enough to ward off the afib. Still after this incident I was afib free for about 3 weeks which is long for me.

It could be that in my case even if I may low normal I still need extra supplementation. I am proceeding slowly as you suggested. I upped my dose from 1200 mgs to 1600 mgs yesterday and the ectopics have disappeared. I guess I could just stay at this dose and see what happens. I don’t have diarrhea and so I might have a ways to go. I’ve reordered taurine from iherb but because of the holiday the delivery is later that I expected and so will go back on it tomorrow. I do take 3 grams of fish oil daily.
November 28, 2010 07:03AM
James - as we often say, we are experiments of one... for some reason, you may not be able to absorb all of the magnesium you take in ....or at least it's not making it inside the cells. Unfortunately, the RBC measure of magnesium isn't a direct reflection of what's inside the cell. If you aren't experiencing bowel tolerance even at those high dosages, either the product you are using is very low in elemental magnesium, or you have a huge deficit in IC magnesium, or for some reason, there is an absorption issue. The comparion article to The Strategy deals with reason's why various individuals may not have success with magnesium.
Check it to see if anything rings a bell with you.
[www.afibbers.org]....

There have been many people who didn't achieve NSR in the 3 months post-ablation, but did find it settled down after six months...so if you can try to be patient and continue with the critical nutrients, hopefully you will notice some improvement with time. Hang in there and be sure to assess your diet to be sure you are not unknowingly consuming various chemicals that are considered neurotoxins that can contribute to heart irritability...especially after burns in the heart. These would include MSG and all hidden forms of MSG...

"Massive amounts of glutamate additives are mixed with processed foods to enhance their taste. Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is the best known. But more common glutamate additives include such things as hydrolyzed proteins, soy protein isolates, protein concentrates, whey protein isolates, carrageenan, caseinates, autolyzed yeast, natural flavoring, broth, and stock." (Blalylock/Newmax)

If you can stick to whole, fresh food, prepared minimally at home from scratch, you should eliminate a great number of potential offenders.

Check out the recent threads in the previous BB session on Vitamin C... that information should be very useful in your situation.

Stay in touch and let us know your progress.

Best to you, Jackie
James
November 29, 2010 05:22AM
Jackie I upped my dosage to 1700 and had a soft bowel movement and still no PAP's or afib. I do probably have absorption issues or higher mag needs because of historical depletion.

I talked to the guy at Whole foods and he said that Solaray which is described as full range amino acid chelate absorbs very well.

In the strategy you mention magnesium oil. Are there any recommended brands?
November 29, 2010 05:49AM
James - The Albion chelate by Solgar - at least the one I Googled also contains calcium and iron. I prefer not to add those nutrients... for men, especially taking the higher doses, supplemental iron is not advised unless they are told to take it due to anemia. So, I prefer just plain Magnesium Glycinate in the True Amino Acid Form by Albion...

In a recentl post on using the gel form (topical) of magnesium, I offered this:

Author: Jackie (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: 10-21-10 11:25

Leo - Most likely, the magnesium gel in a consistency that could be sprayed is somewhat diluted with water so the amount of actual magnesium delivered to the blood via the skin (to help your heart) probably varies considerably…and remember it is magnesium chloride and that form tends to be less effective overall when it comes to afib issues.

In The Strategy report, I mention Transdermal products on page 23- specifically Dr. Burford-Mason’s directions to use a quarter-sized dollop of the gel and leave on for 20 minutes. She comments that her patients rely on the topical gel for tension relief so in that regard, it is highly effective. [www.afibbers.org]

Also read about magnesium absorption issues: [www.afibbers.org]

I use the pure magnesium oil from the ancient Zechstein Sea in the gel form and find it highly effective for muscle relaxation. For my heart, however, I rely on the chelated amino acid version by the Albion patented process… magnesium glycinate, 600-800 mg daily.
[www.zechsteinmagnesium.com]

[www.puremagoil.com]

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login