Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

JULY IS HEMOCHROMATOSIS AWARENESS MONTH

Posted by Isabelle 
Isabelle
July 13, 2010 08:16PM

One of the symptoms of primary or secondary iron overload is atrial fibrillation or afib.....for so many people ron overload almost never gets detected until someone has a disease like diabetes, heart disease/afib, cirrhosis/cancer, arthritis, Alzheimer's and even age related macular degeneration.

The higher your serum ferritin level the greater is the risk for disease in susceptible individuals (family inheritence or acquired). Most labs do still have higher ranges listed than what the experts feel are appropriate.

For most people a serum ferritin of between 40 and 75 may be a good range....but, people with one or two genes for Hemochromatosis may have to maintain a lower SF....

I try to keep my SF below 40 and accomplish this by doing periodic blood withdrawals. I also keep track of my serum transferrin saturation percentage ....and keep that below the so called norm of 45%. I have just one gene for Hemochromatosis with a high penetrance and that is why I have symptoms....of fatigue, joint pain and depression.

Yet, some people with 2 HH genes may live their entire life without any symptoms.....and may only get symptoms if they start eating higher amounts of beef, or stop drinking tea or skim milk at meals or go through the menopause. Sometimes there are other reasons for a spike in the serum ferritin level, like getting several transfusions or taking iron or vitamin C supplements and so on.

For more information: <www.irondisorders.org>

Isabelle
Isabelle
Re: JULY IS HEMOCHROMATOSIS AWARENESS MONTH
July 15, 2010 08:46PM
To all the Listmembers:

One of the symptoms of iron overload is afib.....

Why not do the recommended fasting blood tests and possibly reduce the risk of some other medical problems?

Isabelle
Isabelle
Re: JULY IS HEMOCHROMATOSIS AWARENESS MONTH
July 20, 2010 03:08PM
I am always surprized when I write about Hemochromatosis (HH) the lack of interest in the topic even though afib is a symptom of iron overload.

Please look at the statistics....1 in 7 of European descent may have one gene for HH and 1 in 200 may have 2 genes for HH. These genes have been identified. Other groups or lineages also have HH not yet identified, nevertheless it is always useful to do a serum ferritin and transferrin saturation percentage yearly...it should be part of the yearly set of fasting bloodtests.....

We should know those 2 values just as we know our Lipid profile(cholesteral, triglycerides, HDL and LDL, etc).

I hope you will ask me some questions.

Isabelle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login