Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Melatonin report

Posted by Jackie 
Melatonin report
April 19, 2023 12:16PM
FYI

This is a Q &A report on how to safely use melatonin for optimal health.

[www.integrativepractitioner.com]
Re: Melatonin report
April 28, 2023 04:27AM
Jackie- what’s your thoughts on this?
[www.israel21c.org]

Time released Melatonin
Re: Melatonin report
April 28, 2023 01:51PM
Susan - As we know, we are all biochemically, biophysically unique in needs and function.
Melatonin is obviously important for sleep and supplementing with it can be a consideration but it doesn’t always provide the desired response… and I have personal experience with that.

Typically, I have no sleep problems, but I had a period of time a while ago when I had trouble sleeping. It could have been anxiety over the virus situation, but when I tried the recommended dose of melatonin, I was awake all night. I cut the pill in half and had the same result… so I checked the booklet by Michael T. Murray, ND that I had always consulted for stress-related issues and re-read his comments about melatonin. …
Stress, Anxiety and Insomnia - What the Drug Companies Won’t Tell You and Your Doctor Doesn’t Know

Quote:

“ The most popular aid for sleep is melatonin. Supplementing with melatonin has been shown in several studies to be very effective in helping induce and maintain sleep in both children and adults, and in both people with normal sleep patterns and those with insomnia. However, the sleep-promoting effects of melatonin is are more apparent if melatonin levels in the body are low. In other words, using melatonin is not like taking a sleeping pill. It has a sedative effect only when melatonin levels are low. When melatonin is is taken just before going to bed in normal situations or in patients with insomnia who have normal melatonin levels, it produces no sedative effect. This is because there is normally a rise in melatonin secretion just before going to bed. Melatonin supplements appear to be more effective in treating insomnia in the elderly, in whom low melatonin levels are quite common.

A dose of 3 mg at bedtime is usually enough, because doses as low as 0.1- .03 mg have been shown to produce a sedative effect when melatonin levels are low. Although melatonin appears to have no serious side effects at recommended doses, melatonin supplements could conceivably disrupt the normal daily hormonal rhythm (the circadian rhythm). In one study, a dosage of 8 mg/day for only four days resulted in significant alterations in hormone secretions. “ End quote.

So – In my case, I don’t need melatonin for sleep. But, if I've had a stressful day and by bedtime, I still feel ‘wired’… I add either a full tablet or half of Natural Factors PharmaGaba chewable … along with my bedtime standard protocol of 150 mg. Magnesium Bisglycinate Buffered Chelate and I fall asleep quickly and stay asleep.
But remember, we are all unique.

You can sign up for Dr. Murray’s newsletter and get a free copy of the Stress, Anxiety and Insomnia booklet.
[doctormurray.com]
Contains many other useful and important tips.

Jackie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login