Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

5 Harmful Myths About Food's Effect On Heart Health

Posted by susan.d 
5 Harmful Myths About Food's Effect On Heart Health
April 13, 2023 02:02PM
Re: 5 Harmful Myths About Food's Effect On Heart Health
April 21, 2023 10:48AM
Here are the 5, so you can see if it something you want to look at further.
Myth 1: A low-fat diet is best for heart health.
Myth 2: Eggs are bad for your heart.
Myth 3: Red meat should be avoided at all costs.
Myth 4: If you’re on medication for heart health, it means you can eat whatever you want.
Myth 5: At some point, changing your diet isn’t enough to reverse damage already done to your heart.
June 26, 2023 11:19AM
Olivia9497
I've heard that fish and curd are unhealthy foods as well. Is this true?

Fish? Where on earth did you hear that? The only health issue with fish is eating an excessive amount of large predator fish such as swordfish, because they can accumulate mercury, but otherwise fish is among the healthiest things you can eat.

As for curd, that's just milk so it has a fair amount of fat and calories, but it's fine in moderation. Lots of protein.
June 26, 2023 05:54PM
It used to be – long ago, that most all fish were considered safe to eat.
That’s changed over the years and now there are many warnings and reports on the risks of eating farm-raised fish.

Here’s a general search result
[duckduckgo.com]

And one that targets farm-raised specifically.
[articles.mercola.com]

Just a few of many.

Jackie
June 27, 2023 11:20AM
The Mercola article requires me to sign up for his newsletter and that's not happening. I don't consider him a reliable source.

The other one's a mixed bag, actually, and I don't buy farm raised fish anyway. It's always inferior.
July 16, 2023 02:15PM
Sometimes one may not have a choice. Where I live I’ve searched markets and can only find farmed.

I looked up where it is sourced:
The best salmon is the wild kind, but it is not very easy to come by. Most of the salmon sold is imported from Norway, where it is grown in fishponds.
So I don’t know if it’s healthier or not then Canadian salmon farms.

And I have searched many markets. The only wild salmon I have is being rationed. It’s lox from Trader Joe’s that I had froze 5 months ago and brought on the 15 hour plane packed in blue ice bags in an ice chest. When I returned to the states during my next visit, I plan on bringing more back. In the meantime I’m still searching for the good stuff.
July 16, 2023 02:41PM
Carey - I understand about Mercola. He's been around a very long time and often, much of what he would claim seemed, at the time, outlandish and incorrect. Then, years later, facts would come out that indicated he was accurate. I agree with your habit about buying farm-raised fish. It just makes sense to be 'aware' of the potentials for sourcing of foods as some may be risky.

Jackie
July 17, 2023 09:18AM
If TJ's. being a CA company, relies on West Coast non-farmed salmon for their supply, you might not find any for the rest of 2023 and much or all of 2024.

The government has close this season and likely next due to not enough water in past years for them to spawn.

<[californiaglobe.com];
July 17, 2023 11:27AM
Thanks, Gordon... your comments prompted me to search the topic online ...
Lots there...

This graphic is an easy checklist.

[www.verywellfit.com]
July 17, 2023 03:49PM
ggheld
If TJ's. being a CA company, relies on West Coast non-farmed salmon for their supply, you might not find any for the rest of 2023 and much or all of 2024.

The government has close this season and likely next due to not enough water in past years for them to spawn.

That’s a bummer. They sold their brand name smoked salmon lower in sodium without chemicals. I have 4 four ounce packages left. Hopefully they don’t discontinue their everything on it gluten free bagels. They are absolutely wonderful.
July 24, 2023 09:54AM
Carey
The Mercola article requires me to sign up for his newsletter and that's not happening. I don't consider him a reliable source.

He's a friggin nut case.
July 24, 2023 09:59AM
Farm raised fish has a number of issues - being fed soy, corn and seed oil feed they are high in PUFA O6 and linoleic acid. (LA)

Excess LA is at the root of almost all metabolic disease: [youtu.be]

They also eat the shit of other fish and have a lot of disease and antibiotics. Salmon is very low in mercury. Think food chain when eating fish.

[www.afibbers.org]

[www.fda.gov]
August 12, 2023 10:38AM
I guess wild caught Alaskan Salmon are safe to eat. Pink Salmon.
September 07, 2023 02:01AM
Well in actuality fish contain large amounts of microplastics that are not found in meats or plants. That is probably what the previous statement was alluding to,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login