Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MRIs for valve issues

Posted by bettylou4488 
MRIs for valve issues
February 10, 2023 01:30PM
mom is having an MRI for a valve issue. She in no way could do any kind of MRI. They are in a smaller town- the doc office did get her set up at a larger university (UofMichigan) and she is having a sedated MRI. But a couple questions. I know with those you have to "hold your breath" .. breathe etc.. do they just not do that with sedation? Also can you not do an open MRI for cardiac?

Thanks
Re: MRIs for valve issues
February 10, 2023 02:20PM
If your mom is sedated they would probably do what is called gated. In other words the scan will time according to her breathing rate. She would be monitored. Obviously a conscious patient would be better. As for open MRI, claustro patients often ask why not open? Image quality on open units are not as good. Open MRI systems use weaker magnets. The closed systems are often 1.5 T (T= tesla) or 3T. Open systems are somewhere between .25 - 1.2T. The other issue patients do not realize is that because the open magnets are weaker the scan times tend to be longer. Depending on what you are scanning they can be a lot longer in time. If she is going to a large university they have the cardiac software, which some MRI sites do not have and will probably be scanned on a bigger magnet such as a 3T.

Has your mon ever tried to be scanned? A real good MR technologist often can get a patient through the scan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2023 02:22PM by JakeS.
February 10, 2023 02:22PM
I doubt she'll be so sedated that she can't follow instructions. And it looks like the UofM MRI is an open MRI. Their scanner has a 70 cm opening, and that's what an open MRI is. Standard MRs are 50-60 cm. None are truly open.

Is the issue claustrophobia?
February 10, 2023 02:30PM
I need to clarify the meaning of open. An open MRI system means there is no part of the machine on the side of the patient. In other words, if the patient turns and looks to the left they will see room and only a small portion of the scanner. The UofM reads as follows: This wide bore (70cm diameter) includes full digital d

The bore is the gantry or in other words the opening where you send the patient into the magnet. They make the opening in different sizes. So a wide bore essentially means that if the patient opens their eyes while being scanned the machine is not real close to their face. The other advantage to using the wide bore is that the unit accommodates obese patients.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2023 02:54PM by JakeS.
February 10, 2023 03:08PM
Carey

yes
February 10, 2023 03:10PM
JakeS
I need to clarify the meaning of open. An open MRI system means there is no part of the machine on the side of the patient. In other words, if the patient turns and looks to the left they will see room and only a small portion of the scanner. The UofM reads as follows: This wide bore (70cm diameter) includes full digital d

The bore is the gantry or in other words the opening where you send the patient into the magnet. They make the opening in different sizes. So a wide bore essentially means that if the patient opens their eyes while being scanned the machine is not real close to their face. The other advantage to using the wide bore is that the unit accommodates obese patients.

I'm confused. My husband had one that was not a circle all the way around. which might she expect?
February 10, 2023 03:11PM
Carey
I doubt she'll be so sedated that she can't follow instructions. And it looks like the UofM MRI is an open MRI. Their scanner has a 70 cm opening, and that's what an open MRI is. Standard MRs are 50-60 cm. None are truly open.

also I was thinking they do babies who can't follow directions so certainly they have a way to do it... idk. I'm going to go google the UM site. I had one there- it was not open in that it was all the way around...
February 10, 2023 03:18PM
Pediatric sedation in MRI is often done. The patient needs to stay still during the scan, something many kids cannot do. Sedation for cardiac imaging in MRI is done but preferably the patient should be able to listen to commands on breath holds etc.. Not all MRI scanners have the software to be able to perform cardiac imaging. It is an additional package/upgrade that needs to be purchased so this is not an exam where your mom can be sent anywhere.
February 10, 2023 03:22PM
There is a picture of a magnet in their web site. Not sure of this is the one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2023 03:33PM by JakeS.
February 10, 2023 03:26PM
By the way if you know for sure that your mom cannot do the scan w/o being sedated I hope the ordering physician has informed the MRI site. You could call them as well and talk to someone about the magnet and their sedation protocol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2023 03:35PM by JakeS.
February 10, 2023 03:45PM
bettylou4488
I had one there- it was not open in that it was all the way around...

Truly open MRIs don't exist. The so-called "open" MRIs are just bigger and wider.
February 10, 2023 09:41PM
JakeS
By the way if you know for sure that your mom cannot do the scan w/o being sedated I hope the ordering physician has informed the MRI site. You could call them as well and talk to someone about the magnet and their sedation protocol.

I looked in her portal. It says sedated. (I had the same thought.. and wanted to make sure.). I still may call but with all that went on to make this appointment I'm pretty secure- although I don't know WHAT the sedation will be.
February 13, 2023 10:18AM
Well- I finally got to talk to the nurse. Hip Hip Hooray. The issue are two masses on her heart. They are doing the MRI to see if there is a clot or maybe it is just part of her anatomy - or maybe a "heart mass????" This makes more sense.
thumbs upRe: MRIs for valve issues
May 05, 2023 11:15PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login