Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nattokinase Warning: Dislodge Blood Clots??

Posted by ln108 
Nattokinase Warning: Dislodge Blood Clots??
January 27, 2023 11:00AM
Friends,

This morning I was looking to see what the latest scoop on nattokinase might be. On the Sloan Kettering website, under "Nattokinase -- Patient Warnings", I read: "Theoretically, nattokinase can cause an existing clot to dislodge, resulting in a stroke or embolus at a distant location. Patients with a history of deep vein thrombosis should avoid of use nattokinase."

Yikes! Does anyone have any further information on this? Is it a real concern?

Thanks, Lance
Re: Nattokinase Warning: Dislodge Blood Clots??
January 28, 2023 11:36AM
OK, so I did some further research and I think I've answered my own question. I looked up nattokinase on consumerlab.com, and they have essentially the same caution, with an almost identically worded "theoretical" warning in their "Concerns and Cautions" section of their review of the supplement. But they give a reference to a source article: Milner, Martin and Kouhei Makise, "Natto and Its Active Ingredient Nattokinase: A Potent and Safe Thrombolytic Agent," Alternative & Complementary Therapies 8 (June 2002): 157-154.

I got hold of the article, and the full relevant quote is: "Because natto is a very potent fibrinolytic agent, it is theorectically possible that regular use could break a clot loose from a lower-extremity vein and cause a pulmonary embolism or pass upward and cause a stroke."

However, they go on to seemingly minimize their caution: "Since the flurry of research began on natto in the 1980s, use of natto as a health-enhancing whole food has dramatically increased in Japan.In spite of this increase, there have been no reported side-effects, complications or clot mobilizations. Although no controlled studies have been conducted to demonstrate natto's safety with regard to avoiding clot mobilization, historically, documentation records that natto is significantly safe" (163). The conclusion of the article speaks of "nattokinase's effectiveness and safety for managing a wide range of diseases" (163).

This, along with the "Safe" in the title of the article, leads me to conclude that the author's estimate if the risk of nattokinase dislodging a clot is very "theoretical" indeed.

Though now 20-years old, the article is an interesting read. There's a copy here. I'll leave it up for a few weeks.
February 02, 2023 11:13AM
[healthquestpodcast.com] Lance - You may recall that I had a clot form in my heart 3 mos. after my first ablation... after being cardioverted for breakthrough AF.... and by then, I was off Coumadin but had resumed the Nattokinase. Back then (2003)... I also had learned about nattokinase for clot prevention from Ralph Holsworth, DO.

Here is a review post I offered in 2017 titled "Clot Risk"
[www.afibbers.org]

Jackie

[healthquestpodcast.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2023 11:15AM by Jackie.
February 02, 2023 12:56PM
Thanks for this post, Jackie, and the reminder of all the sterling work you've done on this forum over the years on this topic. I continue to use nattokinase daily, as initially inspired by your posts years back.

I'm especially happy to learn of the podcast you linked to. That was new for me, and helpful.

My feeling is that the authors of the article I quoted above threw in the "theoretical" possibility of dislodged clots just to bolster their creds in terms of "scientific objectivity". I see this often among academicians.

Warm regards,

Lance
February 02, 2023 01:49PM
Hi Lance - Thanks for your good news that you remain 'safe' with the use of nattokinase.

The August 2018 issue of Life Extension magazine published a report about clot formation and two extracts… nattokinase and French maritime pine bark (pycnogenol) – “ shown to prevent deadly clot formation" and. also, to make clots that do develop more likely to resolve quickly. (Supported by 34 related study references.and definitely worth noting.)

While the report targets the risks of sitting too long and risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis, it also describes “ Solutions to Deadly Clots, Deep Vein Thrombosis”… and the use of anti-clotting Nattokinase and French Maritime Pine Bark Extract (pycnogenol)… as prevention measures and solutions.

[www.lifeextension.com]

Best to you,
Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login