Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vitamin D /Cod liver oil

Posted by bettylou4488 
Vitamin D /Cod liver oil
October 22, 2022 03:55PM
After diligently taking Vitamin D3 supplements and sitting in the sun all summer my poor husband has a vitamin D level of.. 20. He even has an app to tell him what time to go out and approximately how much D he got. It became our little mid- day respite some days so we did get that out of it! Anyway, he doesn't take K with it. So I was going to mention that but I was also wondering about cod liver oil. That came into my mind when thinking how I could help him. Anyone have knowledge of how cod liver oil helps better than regular supplementation if at all?

Thanks
Re: Vitamin D /Cod liver oil
November 16, 2022 11:30AM
I take Cod Liver Oil but for other things than Vitamin D. So for the last two tests my level has been at 30 even though I upped my intake to 1000 IU, plus the 400 IU in the Cod Liver Oil. I came across this YouTube (You’re Probably Taking your Vitamin D Wrong, and it Could be Dangerous & Ineffective). So I tripled my magnesium intake & notice a big impact on several conditions I’ve been struggling with. It’s going to be awhile before I can get another D3 test to verify my results. Could be worth a try for your situation.
May 10, 2023 02:35AM
Vitamin D is an essential nutrient that plays a crucial role in maintaining bone health, regulating immune function, and supporting overall health and well-being. While sun exposure and dietary sources can provide some vitamin D, many people may still need to supplement with Vitamin D3 to maintain adequate levels. However, as you mentioned, even with diligent supplementation and sun exposure, your husband's Vitamin D levels remain low at 20 ng/mL.

Vitamin D3 supplementation is typically recommended along with Vitamin K2, as it can help direct the calcium intake from the bloodstream into bones instead of soft tissues. Therefore, it might be worth suggesting to your husband that he starts taking Vitamin K2 alongside his Vitamin D3 supplement. Additionally, consuming foods rich in Vitamin K2, such as fermented foods, may also help.

As for Cod Liver Oil, it is a rich source of both Vitamin D and Vitamin A, as well as omega-3 fatty acids. However, it is important to note that excessive Vitamin A intake can be toxic, so it is crucial to follow the recommended dosage. Some studies suggest that Cod Liver Oil can be more effective than Vitamin D3 supplements in raising Vitamin D levels, but more research is needed to confirm this. Therefore, it is best to consult with a healthcare professional before incorporating Cod Liver Oil into your husband's supplement regimen.

And also try to use organic vitamins they are more beneficial than others you can read about them here
September 14, 2023 06:55PM
Hi Betty Lou,

Briefly, I will say I take approximately 7000 IU ave of Vit D daily (to include Vit D3 pills & cod liver oil tsp daily) & I take K2 along with each pill dose combo. I can raise my levels this way, was 75 last April. I don't sunbathe because I don't like it & am not swimming outdoors since ages ago (like to swim, but not to sunbathe in a baking way) & I tend to freckle or spot & with my age, I don't want any more spots! I think I know the app you speak of. One summer I used it & painstakingly walked the circle of the greensward in my hood to get enough sun (tank top & shorts too) & my levels rose with that addition, but I did not continue bec I enjoy my forest walks & did not have time or desire to do the boring sun circle walks which made me too hot too.

But it can take a good deal of vit D supplementation to raise levels & as long as you are doing it right, it is safe, so they tell me. My regular MD & endo are pleased with what I am doing & my levels.

I would not get anywhere with just 4000 to 5000 IU daily.
September 14, 2023 08:26PM
Hi Betty Lou,

Briefly, I will say I take approximately 7000 IU ave of Vit D daily (to include Vit D3 pills & cod liver oil tsp daily) & I take K2 along with each pill dose combo. I can raise my levels this way, was 75 last April. I don't sunbathe because I don't like it & am not swimming outdoors since ages ago (like to swim, but not to sunbathe in a baking way) & I tend to freckle or spot & with my age, I don't want any more spots! I think I know the app you speak of. One summer I used it & painstakingly walked the circle of the greensward in my hood to get enough sun (tank top & shorts too) & my levels rose with that addition, but I did not continue bec I enjoy my forest walks & did not have time or desire to do the boring sun circle walks which made me too hot too.

But it can take a good deal of vit D supplementation to raise levels & as long as you are doing it right, it is safe, so they tell me. My regular MD & endo are pleased with what I am doing & my levels.

I would not get anywhere with just 4000 to 5000 IU daily.
September 23, 2023 10:47PM
I saw this in the posts and thought- is this a new one? I guess it was resurrected. Hubs is followed by a functional cardiologist and is now taking various things based on blood tests and his recommendations. Thanks all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login