Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Supplements or therapy for leg cramps at night?

Posted by Nancypo 
Supplements or therapy for leg cramps at night?
October 13, 2022 02:46PM
In the last 2 weeks started developing leg cramps at night usually about four or five in the morning. I now have a diagnosis of a weakened heart muscle which we are looking into. In the meantime I've been taking it easy for years at night. I recently started using Nuun, which help for a few nights. I'm doing one dose a day which is 16 oz of water with the tablets, low sugar and low carbs. I have noticed the rest of my muscles have relaxed for sure. With my low back issues that's been great! I tried doing two doses in one day well that gave me diarrhea. In the meantime I tried using my IFC device last night on my legs. Which didn't really help at all. I thought about trying to use a heating pad in the evening before I go to bed just to relax my leg muscles. Basically it's my calves. I don't know if anybody else has some suggestions? I my cardiologist mentioned that he uses sour or tart cherry juice, unsweetened, and that help that helps him sleep really really hard . I did hear Physical Therapy doesn't really help with this. Any other suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks
Re: Supplements or therapy for leg cramps at night?
October 13, 2022 04:37PM
Magnesium helps with Leg cramps. I also have a liquid magnesium which I will rub on the place where the cramp is, stops it.
October 13, 2022 06:03PM
I take the maximum amount of magnesium in a highly absorbable type that my bowels can handle; I take it throughout the day. I use a time release called jigsaw, remag is a liquid option. The 4700 mg RDA for potassium is a challenge to obtain from diet when trying to limit calories/sugar/carbs; I supplement 2 grams/day with Dr Berg’s electrolyte powder mixed in water and sipped throughout the day. This has proven successful in eliminating all of my muscle cramps and also helped with my afib.
Joe
October 13, 2022 06:46PM
Liquorice root and Coltsfoot i seem to recall is used in traditional Chinese medicine? Please double check since i have no experience with it.
October 13, 2022 09:17PM
Oh I've never heard of that what brand?
October 13, 2022 09:18PM
Yeah what side is I've been taking magnesium for years which always help with muscle stiffness. And I am using the electrolyte nuun
October 13, 2022 09:27PM
Has anyone tried using something like a heating pad on their legs in the evening before going to bed? I'm wondering about something topical?
October 14, 2022 09:30AM
You could try topical liquid magnesium for a few days. There are several brands available. Here's one:

[www.ancient-minerals.com]
October 15, 2022 10:36AM
Good recommendation, Gordon... In years' past, I experimented with a variety of topical magnesium gels...and found the Ancient Minerals Magnesium Gel - 8oz Tube - Pure Genuine Zechstein Magnesium Chloride - Best for Massage, Topical Skin Dermal Absorption worked very well. The only drawback was that the one I used back then was quite 'sticky' but worth the inconvenience because it was effective.

Later on, once I had optimized my intracellular stores of magnesium via oral dosing, the leg cramps went away and remain that way today... well over 20 years later.

[www.amazon.com]

Jackie
October 17, 2022 07:59PM
I'm really thrilled to report I found a really great cheap solution! Arnica Gel. I put some on both calves front and back right before bed and have had zero leg cramps at night since I started. Great easy solution! Thanks for all the information!
November 16, 2022 07:10PM
Drink some V8.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login