Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Forum Issue

Posted by Kwilk 
Forum Issue
September 06, 2022 01:34PM
If you write a message, then try to quote a previous message, it will erase without asking everything you just wrote. That needs to be fixed.

I just wrote a long detailed post, then clicked the quote button in the above post to continue my post with a reply to it. That erased the long detail post i had written and put in the quote in place of it. That needs to be fixed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2022 09:15PM by Carey.
Re: initial appt is 2 months away
September 06, 2022 03:03PM
Kwilk
If you write a message, then try to quote a previous message, it will erase without asking everything you just wrote. That needs to be fixed.

I just wrote a long detailed post, then clicked the quote button in the above post to continue my post with a reply to it. That erased the long detail post i had written and put in the quote in place of it. That needs to be fixed.

This is old software and no way for our group to fix it. The way this software works is you have to quote something first.

Alternatives are to
a) copy what you want to post and pasted it into the post you are writing, then highlight that text and hit the " button from the line above the text entry box.
or
b) open a new tab in your browser, go to the thread in afibbers.org where the post you want to quote is, hit quote, then copy that quoted text and go back to your old tab and paste into the post you are writing.
Re: initial appt is 2 months away
September 06, 2022 04:26PM
Sorry you lost a long post. I know how aggravating that can be, but as George said, we have no way of fixing things like that. The software is maintained by volunteers at phorum.org and updates can be years apart (last update was 2020). If you really want to see things fixed, you'll need to visit the Phorum support site and lobby for it. In the meantime, just remember to quote first. And if you want to add a quote after you've already started writing, copy your entire post before doing that so you can paste it back in and not lose it.

And yes, this software is rather dated. But hey, it's free! smiling smiley Although we're willing to spend money to upgrade it, I've gotten a fair amount of feedback from users who say the other afib forum that uses very new, very expensive forum software is harder to navigate and they find this site much easier to use. Remember, most of our user base here is over 60, and most aren't tech savvy. From what I've seen, most users here don't know how to quote a post at all. I guarantee that changing the forum software will cause some users to drift away because they can't figure out how to use it or they're just resistant to change. So at least for now we have other projects with higher priorities.
Re: Forum Issue
September 06, 2022 09:19PM
When I split this topic off from the original and moved it here, the last post didn't get moved for some reason. Here it is:

Kwilk
duckduckgo.com/?q=clicking+quote+overwrites+reply

[webcache.googleusercontent.com]

Quote overwrites existing reply text
03-14-2022, 08:55 AM
Permit me to address some of the comments above before closing this thread.

One may reasonably expect and prefer a certain behavior from an interface, but it is unreasonable to assume that behavior is universal. The Organ Forum software often provides several methods for accomplishing the same end. Some may consider having multiple options for a task to be confusing while others may appreciate its flexibility.

The operational behaviors and features of this Forum are documented in the Forum's FAQ and the tutorials found in the Articles section. The FAQ does say that clicking the Quote button initiates a reply and it, and the tutorial article it references, describe several ways of quoting including how you can insert multiple quotes in a reply, how to use selective quoting, and how to use BBCodes for this purpose. Whether one avails oneself to information provided in these areas is a matter of personal choice, but the information is there for those who wish to access it.

Navigation to the FAQ and Articles sections of the Forum is part of the main menu. An index to the FAQ articles is included in the sidebar on the home page and in the FAQ section itself. Alerts to helpful articles are often included in the scrolling Featured Posts banner on the home page. I feel it necessary to point this out again as the number of views these resources receive is small, and frankly, hardly worth the time and effort it takes me to create them.

I understand the frustration of losing a carefully worded response through an unexpected software error or operational misunderstanding. In fact, there is an article in the FAQ on the how it is often possible to recover this information. In this particular instance, a couple of presses of the undo key on the keyboard would have restored the overwritten information.
Last edited by Admin; 03-14-2022, 12:09 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
-Admin

Allen 965
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login