Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Colonoscopy Prep

Posted by greyhoundgal 
Colonoscopy Prep
June 30, 2022 01:50PM
I am contemplating getting my first colonoscopy. I remember a thread sometime ago regarding the best preps to take but I can not locate it now. There was a different liquid that could be used other than the gatorade/miralax. There is apparently several choices as to preps. There are pills or liquid. What would the best prep be for someone that has a history of afib? Has anyone in this forum taken the pill options?

The thread at the time was warning against the miralax for some reason.
Re: Colonoscopy Prep
July 01, 2022 09:01AM
For my UCSF colonoscopy last Fall I chose the Nulitley as it requires a little less liquid and is very efficient and predictable for starting and stopping times to void it. Medicare/Blue Shield required at $100 copayment for it where some of the others are covered completely.

I always request the earliest procedure of the day to insure there's little delay before I can get something to eat.

Heres a link to a site providing information on your options. Good luck. [my.clevelandclinic.org]

Gordon
July 03, 2022 04:21PM
I used miralax and plenty of bottles of pedialyte to maintain my electrolytes. Clear plain doesn’t have added sugar. Brand name tastes better than foul tasting generic CVS brand. I took 14 doses. I skipped the 4 Dulcolax pre miralax and only needed one.
July 05, 2022 01:21PM
I just found the old thread on this subject from 2012 and Jackie said at that time that she would not use any other prep other than Colyte and GoLightly. I think 10 years later they still exist according to online search. She stated that they are potassium sparing preps.
July 20, 2022 08:32AM
greyhoundgal...do whatever you can to avoid the dehydration! Let us know what you decide!

Just sharing my past colonoscopy experiences here... First one at 50yo was non-eventful as I felt fine during prep and after procedure. I fail to remember the prep but it was in a bottle that tasted lemon-lime and worked well. 10yr later I had my second procedure and the prep had changed. I think it was Miralax (or some powder mix in a jug). I was so so sick from that it was horrible! My husband had to get a wheelchair to get me into the hospital for the procedure I was so weak. The docs said my headache was from the dehydration from the powerful "cleaning me out". I had a six-hour afib right after. This year was time for my next one and I requested the first prep but the nurse said it had proven damaging to some people's kidneys, so they only offered the Miralax. I declined to go through that again and my doc approved me to do the Cologuard since I had no family history of colon cancer. I think they test every 3 or 5yr and my insurance paid for it. Until I find a prep that will not dehydrate me into afib, I'm sticking with Cologuard! Maybe if they could give me an IV of fluids immediately after procedure would help avoid afib. But I still would not want to be that sick again before the procedure. I'm almost 70 and I think they stop recommending them after 75 if all remains clear (unless you have symptoms come up that would warrant one). I wonder if doing an enema, the night before, then a Fleets the morning of would work well without all the drinking prep and dehydration? I'm always thinking!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login