Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Avocado Consumption and Risk of CVD in US Adults

Posted by susan.d 
Avocado Consumption and Risk of CVD in US Adults
April 19, 2022 08:32AM
[www.practiceupdate.com]

I recently switched to avocado oil, Chosen brand (Amazon) avocado mayo and spray to replace olive oil and using sliced avocado as my spread choice. I love avocados and wanted to share this link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2022 02:54PM by susan.d.
Re: Avocado Consumption and Risk of CVD in US Adults
April 20, 2022 09:52AM
I agree Susan, I downloaded the article last week and was pleased to note I no longer need to feel guilty about my consumption of Avocado 🥑😋
April 20, 2022 10:33AM
Avocados are healthy food. Their production isn't so for the Planet...
April 21, 2022 12:14PM
Avocado farming and marketing is becoming sophisticated and far more efficient, particularly in a semi-arid part of the USA where I grow them. Big changes in the 20+ years I've been growing them with more in the works. To be competitive with the lower cost less regulated parts of the world we have to be more efficient and sustainable as we're running out of suitable land for the quality of avocado (Hass), consumers now demand for their consumption.

Here's a link to our orchard manager's way of making that crop more sustainable: [missionproduce.com] and another to sustainable growing and marketing; [missionproduce.com].

Mission Avocado is basically a producer and distributor of avocados. You'll seldom see them sold with the Mission label on them so this really isn't as much of a commercial as you might think. Any company in the avocado business could practice sustainable methods but most don't yet but will have to sooner rather than later.
April 29, 2022 11:53AM
Thanks Gordon for your information. You're right about the labeling. I haven't found any here, yet.
Jackie
May 07, 2022 04:47PM
Pompon
Avocados are healthy food. Their production isn't so for the Planet...

Or for farmers resisting the drug cartels.

[www.newsweek.com]

[www.npr.org]

I'll see if I can buy Gordon's locally. Maybe FreshPoint has them?
May 08, 2022 12:42AM
Gordon, where is Mission Avocados available? Trader Joe’s? Whole Food?
May 09, 2022 09:44AM
Frequently the top level strores carry them; like Kroger, Whole Foods and the like.

Even though I sell to Mission, when mine not in season and I need to buy I don't look for for the Mission label, I look at the fruit itself. Here's a link to determining quality of the avocados you're buying: [mission-produce-static.sfo2.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com]

I only buy Hass. I stay away from bagged or other prepackaged fruit as it is frequently smaller or blemished but still edible fruit. I like to touch the fruit. I don't buy daily, maybe once a week as they will keep in the refigerator, even when opened in an avo keeper; [www.foodnetwork.com]

And as in other things, size is important. I don't buy them under about 4 oz and prefer 6 oz to 8 oz without the stem being snapped off. Being organic means less quality and taste in avocados, IMHO.

Price is usually not the best indicator as it varies so widely so often.
May 09, 2022 10:21PM
Thanks!
May 11, 2022 07:13AM
For people who try to buy organic everything, avocados may be one exception you choose to make for better quality, flavor and price. There is no way to feed the trees the amount of nitrogen they need to produce good fruit from natural soures at a reasonable cost. The thick skin of the fruit protects it very well which is another reason not to buy them with the stems removed to where you can see the white spot.

Non-organic avocados are virtually no risk compared to other veggies/fruits.

<[bakersfieldnow.com];
Que
September 13, 2022 11:50PM
I was informed by my doctor that there is a real problem with the quality or authenticity of avocado oil

[www.sciencedirect.com]
September 18, 2022 10:19AM
The report you reference was published in 2020.

Here's link to a later one by the same organization dated 2023. Way ahead of their time, I'd say. [www.sciencedirect.com]

As the study shows there's still a long way to go to define and certify purity in avocado oil. I'm not sure from other data how much you can trust studies of most other cooking oils, either.

My take is that avocado oil is one of the few areas where you get what you pay for. That may change as the product becomes more popular with more attention being paid to it. Probably more important to most people at this time is the comparative benefit of cooking with avocado oil vs. one of the seed oils and their conclusion is that the avocado benefit isn't worth the price difference.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login