Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is Iodine Deficiency a risk factor for cardiovascular disease without thyroid dysfunction?

Posted by susan.d 
[pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
“Is low iodine a risk factor for cardiovascular disease in Americans without thyroid dysfunction? Findings from NHANES“

[www.psychologytoday.com] to/iodine-deficiency-old-epidemic-is-back
“There are two main reasons why iodine deficiency may be making a comeback.

Until recently, about 25 percent of the iodine in the diet was from wheat, because iodine was used in the processing of flour. Now, however, a lot of flour in the U.S. is processed with a chemical cousin of iodine, bromide (potassium bromate), which helps makes flour doughier, rise higher, and gives the loaf a better appearance.

But bromide is a double-edged sword: not only has it replaced iodine, but it may also block the activity of iodine. That's also true for two more of iodine's chemical cousins — chlorine and fluoride, both of which are common in drinking water.

There's another problem with bromide. The International Agency for Research on Cancer classified potassium bromate as a Class 2B carcinogen, and it was banned in the U.K. in 1990 and in Canada in 1994. It's still legal in the U.S., although in 1999 The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) petitioned the FDA to ban it, saying the agency "has known for years that bromate causes cancer in laboratory animals."

Iodine deficiency isn't only about our daily bread — it's also about our daily salt. Most of the salt used in food processing isn't iodized. And people are using less and less iodized table salt at home, because of the misguided medical advice (except in those with heart failure) to avoid salt.”
Thank you for the link/heads-up Susan!
My first AF came with hyper thyroid and later turned into a slightly hypo. I take 50 micrograms of Eutroxsig/day. That keeps my TSH and T3 at ok levels. I've also had no drinking water from the tap for about 3 years now (ours is laced with Fluoride and of course it its chlorinated a little).
It has been clear for a very long time that Fluoride is interfering with thyroid function. It may not matter that much in younger people but after drinking it for many years....??? Of course, here in Australia, no official body cares a stuff about that possibility.
In the states, Arrowhead Water company (they make home deliveries) offers 5 gallon water with fluoride added. We all drank it when our kids were young hoping it would help their teeth.
[www.readyrefresh.com]

I can’t say if it contributed to my afib or affected my thyroid tests because we stopped the service decades ago. I’m surprised they still sell it.
Some public water suppliers still contain flouride, indeed minimal amounts of it are almost always there, but some still add flouride in, "healthy" amounts. Here's a list of CA entities that include flouride in their water: [www.waterboards.ca.gov]

Most toothpaste has it added, too, in "healthy" quantities. The list of possible side effects is pretty broad.
<[www.medicalnewstoday.com];
Important consideration, Susan. Thank you.

I have ancient history of iodine deficiency (born and raised in NE Ohio aka “the Goiter Belt” or Great Lakes region) and for many years was plagued with typical deficiency manifestations such as fibrocystic breast tissue, uterine fibroids, polycystic ovarian disease and goiteroid tissue. Sadly, back then, the numerous physicians I consulted did not connect the dots to iodine deficiency and, instead, opted to do surgery…(A long and very distressing saga that led to complications and then, more surgery). The last breast surgery was in 1994 along with an official, additional diagnosis of fibromyalgia.

In 1995, along came Afib and I eventually had my first Natale ablation (2003). I had been using a low dose of Armour Thyroid for a number of years and when Afib surfaced plus the ablation, several of my doctors suggested stopping the Armour. and trying Iodine supplements as they were concerned that the Armour might stimulate more Afib. So, I followed that advice and twenty years later, I’m still using only iodine supplements.

In 2001, I developed goiteroid tissue and enlargement of submandibular glands. Once again, numerous endocrinologist consults did not include testing for iodine levels. I then sought help from a Board Certified, Integrative/Functional Medicine MD new to this area and experienced in metabolic profile lab evaluations. And; as suspected, my iodine levels were very low. Fortunately, I had refused to submit to the endocrinologist’s remedy – thyroidectomy.

With iodine supplementation, it didn’t take too long to normalize the enlarged thyroid and when I went for my annual thyroid scan with the Endocrinologist, she was very surprised when she saw the results because she had expected to schedule the surgery. I told her what had changed the enlargement and she looked totally puzzled.. but said…”Well, keep on doing whatever you are doing.” And, I have. No thyroid tissue lumps or enlargements. Better yet – no unnecessary surgical removal of glands or organs.

Over time, as part of my research, I had listened to ‘Alt Med’ teleconferences on endocrine problems involving iodine deficiency. The conference references directed me to information by participant physicians who were using iodine for a variety of ailments.

A search for the following names will bring up numerous papers and reports on the topic. David Brownstein, MD was especially helpful and had I lived closer to his location, I definitely would have consulted with him.

Dr. Brownstein has written many books related to iodine deficiency consequences. Important books about iodine that I found to be invaluable by David Brownstein, MD… Iodine – Why You Need It and Why you Can’t Live Without It and … Salt Your Way to Health.

Plus, Dr. Brownstein’s endorsement (the Foreward) of Lynn Farrow’s book…. The Iodine Crisis … What You Don’t Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life, were very reassuring that I was on right path.

In part, he writes:

“Conventional medicine has truly failed us all in its lack of concern for what is actually causing this epidemic rise in illness. It continues to be stuck in a diagnostic and treatment mode. Ultimately, we will not make consistent and definitive progress against these illnesses unless we understand what the underlying causes behind them are. I feel the large increases in chronic illnesses could be explained by deficiencies of essential nutrients, hormonal imbalances and an increased exposure to toxic elements.

The resources section of this book tell you how to test for iodine deficiency and how to avoid problems when taking iodine. I hear complaints from some of my colleagues that iodine causes side effects. They are right – anything, iodine therapy included, can cause adverse effects. However, the correct use of iodine is not associated with too many adverse effects. The information that Lynne has written in The Iodine Crisis can teach you how to minimize side effects with iodine. These are some of the same steps I recommend to my patients.

I believe this book should be on every bookshelf. The information found in it can help you and your family avoid a preventable health problem. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in improving their health. “
(p. xv)

David Brownstein, M.D.
www.DrBrownstein.com
Author of 11 books including:
Iodine: Why You Need it, Why You Can’t Live Without It.
Overcoming Thyroid Disorders
Salt Your Wat to Health.

Google the titles and read the summary reviews highlighting all of the important benefits of optimizing iodine… including… supporting immunity, adrenal glands, digestion, fibromyalgia (eliminated mine), the immune system and more. All are very informative and helpful. .
Dr. Brownstein https://www.drbrownstein.com/
Lynne Farrow [lynnefarrow.net] - includes personal testimonials.

These books also have many references to well-known medical professionals writing about iodine deficiencies and consequences. Those references include: (but are not limited to)

Guy. E. Abraham M.D.1, Jorge D. Flechas M.D.2 and John C. Hakala R.Ph.3
Orthoiodosupplementation: Iodine Sufficiency Of The Whole Human Body [www.optimox.com]
Guy. E. Abraham M.D, The Historical Background of the Iodine Project https://www.optimox.com/iodine-study-8

Many more books by Dr. Brownstein available … be sure to check the links:
https://www.amazon.com/Books-David-Brownstein-MD/s?rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3ADavid+Brownstein+

I could elaborate more, but I’ll stop here.

(Funny….After my ‘saga,’ I had toyed with the idea of writing my own book titled: What Your Doctor Doesn’t Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life, but I procrastinated too long and Lynn Farrow beat me to it…. Plus, her excellent book is more than just one personal story. The good news is… these are important and helpful reads… and both authors present the topic extremely well.)

Best to you,
Jackie
Thanks Susan & Jackie!

A couple of months ago, I finally got Brownstein's iodine book. Turns out the most recent editions are not available on Amazon, but from him: [drbrownstein.directfrompublisher.com]

I'd never been able to really understand iodine: too much or too little. I've taken modest amounts for a long time, with iodized sea salt (turns out poor bioavailability) and spirulina. I first started with some liquid iodine from the health food store (iodine & ammonium iodide). Noticed my basal temperature started to increase. Then I ordered the 12.5 mg iodine/iodide supplements Brownstein recommends [www.optimox.com] I started with 12.5/day and have been taking 25mg/day for 3 ish weeks. I've had dry skin that will easily crack on my feet forever. I put coconut oil on to maintain. Noticed I went a week without coconut oil last week and my skin has improved materially. Plan to order the 24 hour urine test he suggests and see what happens with fluoride and bromine excretion, too. [www.hakalalabs.com]

Note people should be aware they can get bromine toxicity from bromine release if they start taking a bunch of iodine. The prevention Brownstein recommends is Celtic sea salt, 1/2 tsp 2x/day. See these two articles.

[truemedmd.com]

[jeffreydachmd.com]

My basal temperature bounces around but is on average much higher than before. Same with evening temp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2022 06:58AM by GeorgeN.
Hi George - Glad you are having some positive effects from Optimox. From what I remember, it took a while to notice results... at least it did for my enlarged thyroid. The dose that I continue to use is the 12.5mg by Klaire Labs, but it appears they have discontinued that product so I may have to experiment. (Sigh). I've been so stable all these years, I hate to think about yet another problem.

I also have on hand a product called Thyroid Synergy by Designs for Health... that I can try as a substitute....but I think I'll switch to the Optimox.

Thyroid Synergy™ is a top-quality, all-in-one formula for the nutritional support of thyroid function.* The non-stimulating adaptogenic botanical American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) helps maintain healthy cortisol, blood glucose, and insulin metabolism, along with a balanced conversion of peripheral thyroid hormone.* Essential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients work synergistically to provide a premium thyroid product in just two capsules per day.

My drinking water is sourced from our onsite well, so I don't have exposure to fluoride from municipal water but at one point in my life long ago, I did have fluoridated water.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Best to you,
Jackie
Just offered today, Epoch Times report on the importance of Iodine...plus a video with Dr. Brownstein. FYI

Iodine Deficiency: Prevalent and Devastating, But Easily Preventable

[www.theepochtimes.com].

Jackie
Jackie:

You have posted some great coverage on Dr. Brownsteins writings. Are you able to read the new posts on these boards?

Liz
Hi Liz... yes - I can read the posts now...... had some computer problems that are partially remedied... but now I can see the posts... at least today. Weird experience. Not a 'typical' problem.

Jackie
Thanks, Liz.... I'm still having problems seeing new posts... it comes and goes/
Jackie
Jackie
Thanks, Liz.... I'm still having problems seeing new posts... it comes and goes/
Jackie

You need to refresh every page after you load it or click on a new one.
On most browsers, the refresh button looks like this and is by the web address line:
Thanks, Susan,for this links--and to others for their contributions to this important discussion.

The link for the Psychology Today article didn't work for me. Here's the one that did.

Cheers! Lance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login