Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Having trouble w/ Cal/Mag supplmentation

Posted by californiagal 
Having trouble w/ Cal/Mag supplmentation
December 17, 2021 03:09AM
I'm well versed in nutrition and supplements and as a 'lightweight' afibber, know the value of magnesium and take mag glycinate and sometimes Mag theonate. I'm 71, in good general health, but have osteopenia. Recently, my GP wanted me to look into bone preservation meds.
They do not sound good to me at all. I take 3-5,000 IU's of D daily and my level is 53. I've lately started taking more Vit C than usual and find it supportive of my adrenals. My energy and stamina increase. (I do a mix of buffered C, sodium C, and regular ascorbic acid with bioflavenoids). My problem is taking enough calcium to keep my bones good. I've never been one to take more than 500 mg. daily, and it's often even lower than that. When I try to take more, even spread out through the day, my heart speeds up or it feels tight. (I had a calcium score test done 4 years ago. I'm in good shape there). When these symptoms show after taking calcium, I immediately take extra magnesium, which helps. The thing is, I never had bone 'aches' until 2 or 3 months ago. When they come on, I take calcium until the aches goes away, which happens quickly with enough Ca intake. But doing so gives those side effects mentioned above.
Thanks for any helpful feedback. Btw, very recently I made the Magnesium water from seltzer and MoM. Wasn't crazy about the taste, even highly diluted.
Re: Having trouble w/ Cal/Mag supplmentation
December 17, 2021 10:51AM
There are numerous past post on the benefits of using the menaquinone 7 form of Vitamin K...ie, K2 MK7...

note this clip...

My comment: keep in mind that, ultimately, what this all means for afibbers is that supplementation with Vitamin D tends to liberate calcium and in addition to the adverse deposition as soft-tissue calcifications, the circulating calcium can overwhelm magnesium - especially if magnesium intake is not optimal... or there is a fundamental absorption issue meaning that your IC Mg is low in spite of supplementation.
[www.afibbers.org]

.....and then scan the titles of these posts on the K2 MK7 topic...
[www.afibbers.org]

You'll note that I've been using the K2 MK7 for a long time. Supplemental calcium for afibbers can cause problems and using the MK7, helps ensure that dietary forms of calcium from food, is directed into bones and not into soft tissues and also avoids magnesium interference and the resulting ectopy or outright AF. There is an abundance of science to support that practice. My bone density is very good as a result....and my MD is very pleased. Plus my heart remains very calm.

Jackie
December 18, 2021 05:07PM
Jackie, thanks for this wise reply. Do I need to be taking around 300 mcg of K2 MK7 daily? Can I ask how much you take?
(Seems I've also read in the past that if one has an Apoe ratio with one 4 or more, that more K2 is required. I DO have one 4 in my ratio).
December 19, 2021 11:19AM
Californiagal - Sorry, I didn't see your question in this post. I've sent you a PM...

Jackie
December 25, 2021 03:15PM
Jackie, would Californiagal need to keep taking calcium if she is taking vitamin k2 and vitamin D?
The vitamin k2 plus vitamin D should put the calcium where it belongs, in the bones.
December 26, 2021 11:06AM
Colindo... My experience on this topic indicates a DEXA scan (bone density evaluation)... is appropriate. My bone density has been excellent.

Typically, it's important to warn afibbers against taking supplemental calcium because of the 'excitatory' property of calcium... especially when intracellular levels of magnesium are low (and obviously, to avoid arterial and soft tissue tissue calcification). Therefore, the ExaTest evaluation is very useful.

There are numerous previous posts on this topic and also on the benefits of using the K2 MK7 supplements to accomplish just what you observe... directing circulating calcium into bones and not to soft tissues. Routine labs to monitor tissue levels of Vitamin D are also important until there is recorded stability in the test numbers.

Californiagal... Based on my lab test results, in the past, I've taken 5,000 IU of Vitamin D3 and 90 mcg. K2 MK7…(daily) during the sunny months… and then twice that dose for both the D and the MK7 in the winter months here in NE Ohio. This has kept me healthy… cold and flu free for over 25 years with the lab levels at or around 65-70 nmol/L which is where I feel best and where my FM MD recommends. .

Now, with my last labs, the Vitamin D level was around 100 … unexplained as to why the increase… but I had to stop taking for several months and then retest.

Obviously, regular testing is very important.

Jackie
January 03, 2022 11:10PM
Jackie, I didn't receive the private message from you around 12/20/21, probably sharing your personal intake amts of K2-MK7.
Can you try again?
Tkx, CA gal

I didn't read far enough in the thread. Thanks for your earlier reply.
CG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2022 11:12PM by californiagal.
January 20, 2022 12:52PM
If you haven't yet, you can look into these below. They may or may not help. Just have to be careful and check for any interactions with current medications of course.

- Boswellia Extract: It has been shown to suppress pain & immobility associated with Osteoarthritis

-Curcumin Phytosome (Meriva) - reduces joint pain & joint inflammation due to arthritis or injury. You want to take it with Soy Lecithin (Meriva) for best absorption.

Hope that helps a little.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login