Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sauna type?

Posted by LaniB 
sauna type?
October 27, 2021 03:27PM
Does anyone use dry sauna to relax , detox, and heal? If so, what brand/type. Near infrared or far?

Also, has anyone had good success with the supplement brand "Bulk Supplements?" I try to run everything through Consumer Labs but they don't test every brand of every supplement . I want to take inositol in a powder. I have been taking the Solar brand, but getting 4 grams a day is a lot of capsules to swallow and it is completely tasteless. It's inositol hexanicotinate. Bulk Supplements has just Inositol. I wonder if it would work the same? I do notice my mood is much happier, and I sleep a LOT better!
Re: sauna type?
October 27, 2021 04:22PM
[www.ahajournals.org]

[www.jacc.org]

I don’t understand this study if inositol is helpful or the opposite for afib.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2021 04:24PM by susan.d.
October 27, 2021 06:55PM
LaniB
Does anyone use dry sauna to relax , detox, and heal? If so, what brand/type. Near infrared or far?
I converted a basement shower (2.5'x4') to a heat lamp sauna (so near infrared). It has four 250 watt heat lamps in a diamond pattern. I used Dr. Wilson's plans for the light panel. His book. What I did was use Reflectix brand insulation. It is aluminum faced bubble wrap. I insulated the doors, walls and ceiling. The light panel is hung off the shower (which is not used at all now). The panel has 4 porcelain fixtures for the bulbs as well as a light switch. I have a heavy duty wire to a 3 prong grounded plug coming out of the switch. This is plugged into a heavy duty outdoor extension cord, which is plugged into a wall outlet. We usually heat the sauna for a minimum of 30 minutes and then enter (one person). we have a towel on the floor and on a wooden stool and rotate 90 degrees every 5 or 6 minutes for a 30 minute session. We have a stack of towels and only use a stool towel once before washing as we sweat profusely. I could take it apart in 5 minutes if I needed, nothing I've done is permanent.

Also, has anyone had good success with the supplement brand "Bulk Supplements?" I try to run everything through Consumer Labs but they don't test every brand of every supplement . I want to take inositol in a powder. I have been taking the Solar brand, but getting 4 grams a day is a lot of capsules to swallow and it is completely tasteless. It's inositol hexanicotinate. Bulk Supplements has just Inositol. I wonder if it would work the same? I do notice my mood is much happier, and I sleep a LOT better!
I've used them for potassium citrate powder and it works.
Joe
October 28, 2021 01:35AM
Don't know how hands on you are with building. I built a wooden box for a Sauna under our house. Installed a Chinese 3000W oven (about $A270) did do the wiring but got an electrician to connect to the switch board (cost more than the oven(eye rolling smiley took him 3/4 of an hour (he was a slow one smiling smiley)
October 28, 2021 08:58AM
For years we've used a modular far infared sauna with 8 spearate heaters so you can move around to put whatever part needs the heat right up against one of the heaters. It's supposedly built for 4 people but when both my wife and I are there it's pretty full.

Ours is a stand alone building, inside or ourside, came as a pre-fab kit, took two of us maybe 2 hours to put together, needs its own 110v, 20a circuit, has lights, timer and tape player, (yes, it's that old).

Cost of the kit was about $3500, would be more now.

Of course, Amazon has a wide variety of them, like everything else. [www.amazon.com]
October 28, 2021 09:02AM
Thanks everyone!
October 28, 2021 11:12AM
Wouldn’t sweating profusely trigger dehydration and afib? In the beginning, all my afib occurred during hot >110-118F days.
October 28, 2021 10:23PM
susan.d
Wouldn’t sweating profusely trigger dehydration and afib? In the beginning, all my afib occurred during hot >110-118F days.

Certainly has been reported for some people. Like many things, probably a lot of individual variability. My son-in-law has reported dehydration without heat as a trigger, I built my sauna over 4 years ago and use it almost every day I'm home. I did weigh myself before and after the other day and I lose maybe a half liter (17 oz) of water. I usually drink that much before exercising, which precedes my sauna use. I generally exercise in my basement which runs 65 deg F/18 C or colder year round, so I don't sweat a lot during the exercise. I also consume at least 1.5 tsp of NaCl, 2 tsp K citrate and 3 ish grams of Mg/day, so I'm always topping off my electrolytes. The air temp at head level in the back of my sauna runs around 127 deg F/53 C. It is hotter on my skin and the surface temp of the heat lamp bulbs is 500 deg F/ 260 C. I've yet to get afib from my sauna or any other sauna, hot tub or steam room I've used.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2021 07:44AM by GeorgeN.
Joe
October 29, 2021 12:07AM
Have not had any AF after using Sauna either. 20 to 25 min dry @ 60 to 70 deg C two to 3 x / week for the last few months
October 29, 2021 12:38PM
susan.d

Hi Susan,

In this podcast (at around 30 minutes), Stanford neuroscientist Andrew Huberman mentions that sauna can increase adrenaline/norepinephrine. I could hypothesize that in someone who has adrenergic triggers that this increase in adrenaline/norepinephrine could trigger an episode. Having always been very vagal, this doesn't seem to apply to me.
October 29, 2021 07:16PM
Would increased adrenaline/norepinephrine response from alcohol, epi, and caffeine also triggers afib?
October 29, 2021 07:38PM
Joe
Have not had any AF after using Sauna either. 20 to 25 min dry @ 60 to 70 deg C two to 3 x / week for the last few months

Joe- did you get a successful ablation? If so your scar tissue barrier (“afib-monkey cage”) could contribute to your good fortune in remaining in nsr. I’m happy for your success in remaining in nsr.
October 29, 2021 09:22PM
susan.d
Would increased adrenaline/norepinephrine response from alcohol, epi, and caffeine also triggers afib?

Looks like all can increase adrenaline/norepinephrine, hence could have an adrenergic trigger effect for someone sensitive to that.

"Caffeine ingestion has been demonstrated to increase circulating epinephrine (Epi) and norepinephrine (NE), elevate free fatty acids (FFAs), and alter heart rate, blood pressure (BP), and ventilation in humans." Source

Epi is epinephrine Source

"Drinking water and non-alcoholic cold liquids caused a marked fall in plasma adrenaline and a transient rise in noradrenaline concentration. In contrast, drinking alcohol resulted in a relative rise in adrenaline and a delayed increase in noradrenaline concentration." [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
October 29, 2021 09:26PM
LaniB
I want to take inositol in a powder.

I just started experimenting with this inositol powder today after reading a reviewer mention it was pharmaceutical quality. [smile.amazon.com]

So we'll see.
Joe
October 29, 2021 11:26PM
susan.d

Joe- did you get a successful ablation? If so your scar tissue barrier (“afib-monkey cage”) could contribute to your good fortune in remaining in nsr. I’m happy for your success in remaining in nsr.

Thank you Susan! Haven't gone the ablation route at this stage. My AF was permanent for almost 4 months at the end of 2015 or 16 (forget, would have to look up records). Reversed after the second CV. Have been doing all sorts of 'alternative' interventions and taking on board advise from this wonderful forum - so far so good. Still have break throughs which i try to deal with breathing etc and after (if not successful) with Flec which is still good, fingers crossed!
Just having a bit of AF this afternoon brought about by my own stupidity - eating something that triggers my heartsad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login