Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spinal ablation

Posted by Mark 
Spinal ablation
September 08, 2021 01:33AM
Have had ongoing lower back issues causing radiating left leg pain which has taken a turn for the worse despite numerous physical therapy visits etc. On eliquis for aFib so regular nsaid usage not possible. Possible micro disc surgery discussed but was wondering about spinal ablation. Did some reading but looking for first hand feedback from those who have tried this intervention. Success? Is it worth trying? Problems? Thanks.
Re: Spinal ablation
September 08, 2021 11:01PM
I have done it. They burn the Nerve, so it you don't feel pain in the area. It only lasts a year or so, until the nerve heals back. They use a lower heat than for the Cardiac Ablations, at least that the way it was 8 years ago. It doesn't fix anything, just deadens the nerve. It is an easy procedure, they just used local anesthesia, and it was only 15 minutes long. I would try it before using pain meds, or resorting to surgery. In my situation, after 8 months, I had the same issue from a pinched nerve in my neck come back. After years of P.T., I finally alleviated the issue, at least for now. I have had many injuries, and seen many P.T.'s, and in general, I would try 2-3 different therapists before giving up on this approach. The drawback to the Ablation, would be that you do things that actually make the anatomical situation worse, like maintaining poor posture, and are not aware of it, as the nerves are dulled.
September 09, 2021 12:50AM
The Anti-Fib
The drawback to the Ablation, would be that you do things that actually make the anatomical situation worse, like maintaining poor posture, and are not aware of it, as the nerves are dulled.

That's a good point. Do you think some sort of training could overcome that? I've always been a terrible sloucher in chairs, especially if they can be tilted back. A few years ago I realized that was causing some lower back pain so I began to lock my chair upright so I couldn't tilt it back. Doing that definitely made an improvement.
Sam
September 13, 2021 07:07AM
I don't know what type of physical therapy you've but I highly recommend you find a practitioner who uses the Maitland technique.

Ask him to show you mobilisation exercises to do every day - knee rocking to chest, standing pelvic rocking and full squat with rounded back.

Every time you bend over pull in your stomach to stabilise the spine.

I used this treatment on many hundreds of patients with close to 100% success.
January 18, 2022 02:36PM
Sam
I don't know what type of physical therapy you've but I highly recommend you find a practitioner who uses the Maitland technique.

Ask him to show you mobilisation exercises to do every day - knee rocking to chest, standing pelvic rocking and full squat with rounded back.

Every time you bend over pull in your stomach to stabilise the spine.

I used this treatment on many hundreds of patients with close to 100% success.

I would agree that you need to try another physical therapist. Several years ago I somehow somehow managed not one but two bulged discs. A right paracentral bulge at the T12-L1. And a far lateral disc herniation right side at the L5-S1. I was in terrible pain even on Oxycodone.

Years prior my son had a slap tear and had to do therapy. We started out at a place that is supposedly good but I found to be underwhelming. I decided that he was not going to get the attention or the corrective therapy he needed there so I sought out a new one. The lady I found for him was amazing so I went to her as well. She showed me some of the same exercises SAM mentioned as well. I saw her 3 times a week and could not wait to get back to see her as I always left her practice feeling much better than when I arrived,

Just like I would not let anyone else than Natale work on my heart. I would never go to any physical therapist other than her. They are not all created equal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login