Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Vitamin D & Vitamin K2 Connection

Posted by Lorraine 
The Vitamin D & Vitamin K2 Connection
May 20, 2021 02:03PM
The Vitamin D & Vitamin K2 Connection: Understanding the Mechanisms, What to Test, and How Much D3 and K2 to Take - by Dr Alex Rinehart

This is a great resource. If you're taking Vitamin D, he says it's critical that you consider K2 supplementation. Over-supplementation of D3 without ample K2 leads to problems of excess calcium.

Some of the highlights:
  • optimal sweet spot for D3 levels is 50-70 ng/mL
  • higher intake levels of D3 require K2-7 supplementation, up to 320mcg/day
  • K2 levels above 320mcg/day are not necessarily harmful - but excess can be a waste of money and potentially drive new imbalances
  • can take K2 and D3 together in one supplement, but better to take separately as needs for either will vary per person
  • measure K2 level using 1,25 OH Vitamin D (calcitriol) test as a marker
  • take D3 and K2-7 after fat-containing meal or snack for better absorption
  • check levels of both about every 3 months until you are satisfied; thereafter one or twice a year

He also provides a scenario cheat sheet addressing circumstances when you should take more, or get away with taking less of both vitamins. The higher the 1,25 OH Vitamin D, the more critical it is that you supply the body with vitamin K2.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2021 09:26PM by Lorraine.
Re: The Vitamin D & Vitamin K2 Connection
May 20, 2021 03:01PM
From NLAMA's post,

"(btw) EVOO significantly increases absorption of MK7

Study - www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Which always leads one to ask - what about other fats and oils - in short - not so much.

I take all K2 MK7 and natto with about 15 grams of EVOO."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2021 03:05PM by GeorgeN.
May 20, 2021 04:48PM
GeorgeN

I take all K2 MK7 and natto with about 15 grams of EVOO."

If you are taking Natto is there any need for EV00?
May 20, 2021 05:48PM
I had a nice big post on this and it got deleted.

(Poor choice of words on my part. I went to post and fat fingered the back button and deleted my own post)

Yes - in fact natto drizzled with olive oil is very tasty. Try it. It's more agreeable than wasabi, mustard and soy sauce.

The goal of taking MK7 is to regress and/or stabilize CAC and to reduce undercarboxolation as measured by ucOC and/or uc/MGP. It takes more than a year of 1000 mcg daily to get below 1.0.

[www.nature.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2021 12:27PM by NotLyingAboutMyAfib.
May 21, 2021 02:17PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
I had a nice big post on this and it got deleted.

(Poor choice of words on my part. I went to post and fat fingered the back button and deleted my own post)

Yes - in fact natto drizzled with olive oil is very tasty. Try it. It's more agreeable than wasabi, mustard and soy sauce.

The goal of taking MK7 is to regress and/or stabilize CAC and to reduce undercarboxolation as measured by ucOC and/or uc/MGP. It takes more than a year of 1000 mcg daily to get below 1.0.

[www.nature.com]

I must try olive oil for a change. I normally sprinkle Cajun seasoning on the natto which I have spread on a piece of toast for breakfast. I wash it down with a cup of coffee.

The real goal of taking Natto (MK7) is not only to regress and stabilize calcium but to (with the help of vitamin D) promote the production of calcitonin. Afibbers have up to 6 times less calcitonin than people without afib.

It takes more than a year of 1000 mcg daily to get below 1.0.

Do you mean it takes 1000 mcg of vitamin K2 MK7 daily to get below 1.0? Wouldn't that depend on how much calcium you have stored in your arteries?
May 21, 2021 08:46PM
It takes more than a year of 1000 mcg daily to get below 1.0

This is about undercarboxolation of osteocalcin. The lower the better (more carboxolated)

It's not a hard figure but making the point that 375 mcg likely won't get you there.
May 23, 2021 10:39PM
Your information is interesting and I will look into it--Do you know of You Tube re D,K2 and Ca Connection?

From my study...these are my ideas... I am leaning away from synthetic and most 100% food or herbal supplemnts Self medicating with pills without knowing what micronutirents on a cellular level are low is like shooting in the dark. On the Hormones and Vitamins same concerns.

The best way to raise the hormone D is Sunlight protocol from Jack KruseMD (author of Epi Paleo Rx) and he can explain why..
Vitamin D: The Sunshine of Your Life? - Dr. Jack Kruse
[jackkruse.com]

"Vitamin D synthesis from cholesterol by the sunlight is thus maintained within physiological limits estimated to be 0.01 to 2.5 mg of cholecalciferol per day. 2.5 mg per day translates to 100,000 IU per day! If we are protein deficient, we do not have this ability and our stores are low in low light levels......
May 24, 2021 09:42AM
Percyfaith
Do you know of You Tube re D,K2 and Ca Connection?

Kiran Krishnan at Microbiome labs is pretty good on this topic. See:

Everything You Need To Know About Vitamin K2

Cheers!
November 03, 2021 07:53PM
Thank you ln108 !
November 03, 2021 07:57PM
"I had a nice big post on this and it got deleted."

I hate that when it happens!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login