Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vitamin B

Vitamin B
May 15, 2021 10:02AM
This was a reply in another topic but worthy of it's own post.

Some research on B vitamins -

Google PDF - Cardioembolic stroke: everything has changed

It is also increasingly recognised that high levels of homocysteine, often due to undiagnosed metabolic deficiency of vitamin B12, markedly increase the risk of stroke in atrial fibrillation, and that B vitamins (folic acid and B12) do prevent stroke by lowering homocysteine.

I spent some time researching the best multi-B supplement and take 1 of these a day (unaffiliated) (Consumer labs doesn't even note this!!!)

[www.amazon.com]

Almost all others use pyrodoxine instead of Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate which this one has.

[pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

"Pyridoxine induced cell death in a concentration-dependent way in SHSY5Y cells."

"In conclusion, the present study indicates that the neuropathy observed after taking a relatively high dose of vitamin B6 supplements is due to pyridoxine. The inactive form pyridoxine competitively inhibits the active pyridoxal-5'-phosphate. Consequently, symptoms of vitamin B6 supplementation are similar to those of vitamin B6 deficiency."
Re: Vitamin B
October 18, 2021 11:03AM
Hi NLAMA

Long time no hear!

And yes, using the co-enzymated form of B6 is paramount (and really using the co-enzymatic form, (when available is usually best for most B vitamins) ... even though most prior older references imply that only about 30% of folks have an innate enzymatic deficiency that negatively impacts and prevents said ~30% of folks from properly processing and thus converting pyridoxine into the bioavailable form that is P-5-P ... As such, it really only makes sense to use only P-5-P form
of B6 to cover one's bases all around as there is little-to-no downside with P-5-P that inherently insures you get a solid bioavailable dose of usable 'B6' .

I've been taking only coenzymated B vitamins for the past 16 years!

The issues you noted about excess levels of homocysteine often correlating to deficency of B12 has been reported for over a decade or more. i could see where a possible association with increased AFIB might have a connection as well, but this is the first such study I have seen showing a direct association or trigger with AFIB, and thus thanks for the tip! I look forward to reviewing more about this potential AFIB connection.

Cheers and good to hear from you NLAMA!
Shannon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login