Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linoleic Acid- Interview with Tucker Goodrich

Posted by Todd 
Linoleic Acid- Interview with Tucker Goodrich
December 20, 2020 03:43PM
[www.youtube.com]
In this interview, Tucker Goodrich and I discuss what will be the topic of my next book, namely linoleic acid (LA), which I believe is likely the leading contributing cause of virtually all chronic diseases we’ve encountered over the last century. Unfortunately, this is a topic that most clinicians and health care practitioners who focus on natural medicine have only a superficial understanding of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2020 08:19PM by Todd.
Joe
Re: Linoleic Acid- Interview with Tucker Goodrich
December 20, 2020 07:50PM
Thanks for the link, Todd! Was a bit hesidant to listen to it but it turned out to be really informative. Go to about 30 min for a bit on heart desease
December 22, 2020 10:56AM
Mercola and Goodrich together!!???

As if Christmas didn't bring enough candied nuts into our lives already.
Joe
December 22, 2020 10:42PM
NLAMA, you say that seed oil consumption isn't a health problem or are you just attacking the messenger?
December 23, 2020 02:42PM
I'm clearly in the camp that LA from industrial seed oils is not good. What I haven't looked into is whether too much LA from EVOO or fresh walnuts, for example, is bad.

With my genetics, sat fat from land animals raises sdLDL & oxLDL (I have many data samples of this), same for coconut oil. Not sure about things like caprylic acid. I was consuming algae oil, but the company quit making it.

Excess of anything seems to not be good (carbies, protein, fat). I do extended fasts, but those are also not good in excess either spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
December 23, 2020 04:06PM
Thanks, Todd...

Hi George - Just curious...

So then, from your research, are you of the opinion that CLA supplements derived from safflower oil is not a good thing?

Omega-6 fatty acids are also supplied as gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), the activated form of omega-6 whose conversion from linoleic acid (LA) may be compromised by poor diet and other factors. Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), a variant of linoleic acid, favorably influences fat metabolism and offers unique cell protective benefits.† (quote from Klaire Labs product data sheet)...

Also: there are studies indicating that CLA is useful in preventing various types of cancer… …here’s one example…

CLA inhibits cell proliferation and increases programmed cell death in human bladder cancer cells. Med Food. 2010 Feb;13(1):13-9. PMID: 20136431

And also... What have you read about CLA derived from safflower oil - positive or negative?

Thanks!
Jackie

PS - I meant to include these (few of many) details regarding CLA supplement from Designs for Health... which had been recommended some time ago as potentially helpful for my statin-damaged muscles.

Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) is a naturally-occurring fatty acid that helps support healthy weight management. CLA cannot be made by the body so it must be obtained from the diet or through supplements. It can be found in some animal products, particularly grass-fed beef and dairy.

Because most of our modern beef supply comes from grain-fed animals, today’s meat and dairy products have about one third of the CLA content, as compared to what was present in 1960.

CLA helps support natural fat metabolism and the retention of lean muscle. Too often, people on a weight management program find it difficult to maintain muscle while losing body fat. CLA can be an ideal supplement for those individuals working towards optimum weight goals, while striving to retain normal muscle mass. This formulation is a rich source of conjugated linoleic acid, standardized to contain a minimum of 78% of this beneficial compound.

Benefits
• Promotes the proper transport of fat so it does not accumulate in fat cells
• Helps maintain a healthy muscle mass
• Assists with healthy blood sugar metabolism, which is another key to a proper weight management program
• Provides strong antioxidant properties

Recommended Use – Take one softgel per day, or as recommended by your health care practitioner.
CLA should be taken in conjunction with regular exercise and a healthy diet.

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

Also: [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2020 04:18PM by Jackie.
December 23, 2020 04:41PM
Jackie
So then, from your research, are you of the opinion that CLA supplements derived from safflower oil is not a good thing?

{edit}, from their article "On a side note, do not confuse LA with conjugated linoleic acid (CLA). While most think CLA and LA are interchangeable, they’re not. CLA has many potent health benefits and will not cause the problems that LA does."

I haven't done the research, so have no opinion.

This is an Omega Quant report from about 10 days ago. You can see I'm in the low centiles for omega 6's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2020 07:24PM by GeorgeN.
Joe
December 23, 2020 07:00PM
If i understood the discussion, it was about the refined Omega 6 seed oils rather than the ones in food (except animal meats where the animals were fed food with added refined Omega 6s)?
They did say if one wants to avoid all Omega 6s one would starve to death (or words to that effect). 1 to 2% is normal in a wholefood diet.
December 23, 2020 09:01PM
Joe
If i understood the discussion, it was about the refined Omega 6 seed oils rather than the ones in food (except animal meats where the animals were fed food with added refined Omega 6s)?

From the article, "Chronometer will tell you how much omega-6 you’re getting from your food down to the 10th of a gram, and you can assume 90% of that is LA. Again, anything over 10 grams is likely to cause problems." Reading it, they are talking about all sources.

They also say "Interestingly enough, there’s even evidence showing eliminating seed oils from your diet will dramatically reduce your risk of sunburn, which is something Goodrich experienced first-hand. “Susceptibility to UV radiation damage is controlled by how much PUFAs are in your diet,” he says. “It's like a dial. They can control how fast it happens, and how fast you get skin cancer.”

I don't burn now. I'm fair skinned. I can stay out at 7,500' and nearly 40 deg latitude for 6 or 7 hours in the summer wearing only shorts and not burn. I can ski for a like time in March (spring) wearing only shorts and not burn. I attribute that to my high levels of vitamin D as well as my high intake of melatonin (no sunscreen on ever & dermatologist thinks skin looks great!).

They talk about working out fasted. I always do this, usually 14 to 16 hours fasted with 0.5-1.0 mmol/L serum ketones. My insulin on 2 Dec was 2.3 uIU/mL (HOMA IR =0.5 with a glucose of 86 mg/dL -4.78 mmol/L). "They looked at a ketogenic diet in rodents and found they were protected. The reason they were protected is because they were able to burn HNE as fuel. But if you add a little bit more insulin into the system, then it turns off fat-burning and HNE goes out of the mitochondria and does more damage.” This is yet another reason for working out in a fasted state, which Goodrich also recommends. “I think working on a fasted state is one of the most important health things that you can do, without question,” he says."

The EVOO I buy is not from the grocer. It has a very high polyphenol "bite" to it. Most of my LA likely comes from EVOO and the polyphenols may be protective against oxidation.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2020 09:10PM by GeorgeN.
Joe
December 24, 2020 02:36AM
thumbs upGeorge, unfortunately i haven't got your willpower and determination, yetsmiling smiley. Still, i like all the info and N1 experiences and somehow reflect it upon my decisions (within my willpower)
You would be an excellent candidate for Dr Horvath and his epigenetic clocks.
Increasingly, i think many of our early chronic problems and reduced health span, even for the ones who eat a good diet and life style, are due to the way our food is grown?
December 25, 2020 12:53PM
Joe, I'd rather dip my right hand in a McDonalds fry bin than to eat anything that came from it.

My issue with Tucker and Ivor is that they have been promoting the 'do like Sweden agenda' since the spring and have doubled down and deleted their prior basis (dishonest) as the evidence and data have come in that shows that a) Sweden policy is a failure, b) covid ain't the flu and c) the dangers and risks of natural immunity. They were wrong on every count. So if Tucker makes an obvious point about the earth being round or seed oils being bad, I'd rather listen to Eades, Mason or Teicholz on YouTube where Tucker is likely taking notes from.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
Joe
December 25, 2020 07:01PM
Fair enough NLAMA. COVID and how different societies handle it is another long story. Ignoring preventative measures is a huge mistake regardless of country - how that is driven...?
Regardless, i'm just interested at the claims at hand - false, correct or more info needed.

Edit: Thanks for the links. Had watched them some time ago but largely forgot some of it, so thank you for the reminder!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2020 08:18PM by Joe.
December 26, 2020 06:20PM
Nina much easier on the eyes. I had a crush on her for a while. Lifelong weakness for smart brunettes that laugh easily. They are my kryptonite.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login