Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blood Pressure issues

Posted by smackman 
Blood Pressure issues
September 16, 2020 10:06AM
I am having trouble with medications to help lower my blood pressure. Calcium Channel blockers cause edema around feet,ankles, lower legs. I gained 12 lbs in 5 days on Amlodipine. Cardizam also a CCB caused same issue. Valsartan and its "sisters" like Losartran caused major dizziness ; Just could not take it.

Now my GP has upped my Metoprolol ER to 100 mg 1x a day and a fluid pill HyDrodiuril 25 MG 1X a day. Just started it today. My Blood Pressure yesterday at the Doctors office was 150/82 but I had been taking 5 mg Amlodipine 1x a day for 2 weeks and started taking the water pill HydroDiuril for 3 days.

I have lost 32 lbs. I am 6 feet tall and weigh around 232 lbs. Any suggestions besides lose another 30 lbs? I am trying hard to lose the weight but that takes time and I am disabled from a back injury so exercise is limited. I try to stay busy etc.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Blood Pressure issues
September 16, 2020 11:45AM
Yea, this is really easy, try intermittent fasting for at least 8-16 hours eating once or twice a day. At 37, eating 4-5 small meals I was told that by my GP that my blood pressure can’t be controlled by diet or weight, since I was normal BMI, well fasting did the trick and three years later my BP is never higher than 110/70. I basically started eating only two small meals then switched to one large meal and an afternoon snack, mainly 3-4 ounces of salmon. There’s plenty of research out there supporting intermittent fasting and I’ll link one study below but what I love most about it is the fact that you really aren’t doing anything physically other than not eating, and over time your health overall improves drastically in many ways.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
September 16, 2020 12:50PM
Fasting for this 62 year old man would be difficult due to medications I take which require to be taken with food. It’s not impossible but I would really have to think hard how I could does this and take my Meds.
September 16, 2020 01:35PM
It wasn’t dangerous or hard for my 74 year mother who I convinced and she had the same issue but within three months had no more need for diabetes pills or blood pressure meds all caused by inflammation.
September 17, 2020 03:28AM
At 8 AM I have 1 piece of toast and 2 scrambled eggs. Since we use Pam to scramble eggs and little low cal canola butter spread on toast, it is a low calorie breakfast.
At 12. Noon I have 2 raw carrots with a tbs of low cal catalina dressing and a piece of ham on one slice of toast. There is 30 calories of mayo spread on the bread with the ham. I will eat a fiber bar for dessert but it’s also for constipation since I am on a sch 2 narcotic for Chronic Back injury.
At 6 PM we have our big meal. Last night we had 4 ounces of t bone steak, Baked potato with 1 Tbs of low calorie sour cream and a green salad with 1 tbs of fat free dressing.

I do not eat again until 8 AM Breakfast. My goal is 1200 cal max a day. Yesterday was my wife’s birthday so we added half of a 180 cal 20 gram protein bar to our nightly menu.
September 20, 2020 01:43PM
Holy shit Smack man. No wonder you're having problems.

Throw the PAM and canola oil and bread in the garbage can today.

Also throw out the low fat anything you have. Read Big Fat Surprise. Follow the low carb NSNG community on Twitter.

[www.youtube.com]

I can give you some names to follow.

Your BP issues are most likely caused by NAFLD - Dr ever mention fatty liver?

Get a DEXA scan and see how much visceral fat you have. The # 1 way to get rid of it is to cut out carbs, eat a high fat and protein diet which will enable you to fast. Start with 19 hours a day - 5 hour eating window,

Breakfast at 7:01 AM - lunch ends at 11:59 AM - that's it.

work towards 1 hour in 2, 3 or 4 days. It's easy and feels great.

Fiber to relieve constipation? Most likely the cause.

after stopping all grains and bread, I haven't had a BM that took longer than 30 seconds. Before on bread and whole grains, embarrasing and painfully long and painful. I know this isn't what we've been taught but fiber is BS.

Zoe - [www.youtube.com]
September 20, 2020 02:27PM
There are people starving in many countries, I guess they don't know that is healthy.
September 20, 2020 10:30PM
They most likely are healthy and not 'starving'.

Try to take in the science first - Nina's speech on saturated fats and the dietary guidelines is irrefutable.
September 20, 2020 11:16PM
They most likely are healthy and not 'starving'

No, they are not healthy, kids are skinny with pot bellies.
September 21, 2020 10:22AM
I am adding my Medication list today. I generally refuse to do this due to Not nice or negative comments. I had a major car accident in September 2003. After 2+ years of fighting with worker’s compensation, I had T12 removed and replaced with a cage that had part of my rib they removed crafted into the cage. Also a plate with screws etc. My surgery was a T12 Anterior Corpectomy. It took 2 years before the Surgeon released me. IT WAS HELL!
I do have Anxiety issues. I do see a Psychologist regularly.
Anyway, I am not whining; Just being truthful. AFIB in 2011 did not help my situation.
I also go to Pain Management monthly.
I was 45 when I had this Life changing accident. I have a 20 lb max weight limit on my back etc etc. My Heart is doing Great and my Anxiety is doing good. Anyway, I am always open to constructive suggestions.

5 mg Valium a day as needed.
20 mg Prozac daily
15 mg Prevacid a day
60 cc shot of Testosterone Cypionate every 10 days. Testosterone is low due to schedule two narcotics.
.5 mg Arimidex 2x a week to keep Estrogen levels in check. T shots can cause rise in Estrogen.

100 mg Metoprolol ER 1x a day
25 mg HydroDiuril fluid pill 1x a day every 2 days.
Neurontin 900mg a day (for Neuropathic pain IC/CPPS)
800 mg of Magnesium daily . Different types
81 mg aspirin 1X a day. Heart Doctor order due to stent installed in Jan. 2012.
2.5 mg Eliquis 2X a day

Miralax 1x a day for constipation issues. I have tried so many different methods for Constipation since 2008. Fiber is in my diet but to much Fiber really Constipates me.

25 mg/hcr Fentanyl.patch changed every 2 days

1st ablation done Feb. 27, 2014 for Long term persistent AFIB Dr. Natale
2nd Ablation done June 16,2016 Dr. Natale LAA isolated
September 21, 2020 11:00AM
it's never too late to learn some new tricks. At 55 I looked to be a dead man walking. The cake for afib was already baked in. But I've been able to turn around my BG, BP and all blood labs in very short time by eating a low carb diet. It's not easy but you will feel great once those good labs come in.

Are you able to do moderate exercise? Walk, lift weights?

You open minded to learn about low carb? Fasting?

Lastly and most importantly - do you want to feel better be healthier?

If you have high BP - we can assume you have fatty liver and high visceral fat (PS my BP was 118 over 82 30 minutes ago)

The # 1 way to attack visceral fat is via microRNA-149-3p a gene that switches subq fat burning to visceral fat. The # 1 way to turn this gene on is fasting. The # 1 way to fast is to eat low carb because carbs beget carbs. You eat some and you want some more.

Why is easy to eat only once a day when you eat high fat and protein? Because when there are no carbs, you're not hungry again in a few hours.

I would say - please watch the Nina Teicholz video I posted and then I'll send you some more from Dr. Eric Westman and Dr Jason Fung.

With those, you'll be ready to try it yourself and then see it works - just as George, I and 1000s of others have found out.

You can do it!
September 21, 2020 11:11AM
# 1 - thank god you're not on a statin.

The only thing I'd be a little worried about is the effect of PPIs on your atherosclerosis.

Take a read of this and see if you want to either stop taking PPIs (you could try Braggs apple cider vinegar) or you can try l-arginine or l-citruline to help with more NO which should also help lower that BP. Double win.

[drmalcolmkendrick.org]

Change your diet and the constipation will go away. But I think these painkillers are also responsible for some of that so you do have some challenges there.

Some good macrobiotics can help. I make my own reuteri yogurt and eat daily. I also take 1 of these every other day because they are so damn expensive. I might need to make yogurt out of them or something to get more bacteria. Might be worth a try???

[www.amazon.com]
September 23, 2020 08:52AM
I have tried hard to do without PPI but I have damage to my stomach lining etc. and Prevacid works well. This is a Hereditary issue in my Family. My daughter can get Heart Burn from drinking water. I am exaggerating but she is 39 years old 5’11” and weighs 140 lbs. She is a fairly Healthy when it comes to food.
I will have to discuss this fasting with my EP and Pain Management and my GP. That would be extremely hard to do because some of my meds require to be taken with food etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login