Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ways to stop prostate bleeding (post-ablation)

Posted by cirenepurzalot 
Ways to stop prostate bleeding (post-ablation)
July 27, 2021 08:52AM
Please help! Any advice would be appreciated....

My dad has had an enlarged prostate and enlarged bladder for years. Unfortunately, this was not addressed and he went and got a cardiac ablation last Wednesday (out of state, with Dr Natale.) He was supposed to only stay in the hospital for one night. But, because he had blood (and clots) in his urine he had to stay longer. He's still there. He's needed to have a catheter like 5 times and has been on CBI (continuous bladder irrigation) for days now, which is very painful. He's still bleeding and having occasional clots in the urinary tract/bladder. I think it's coming from the prostate.

The urologist wanted my dad to get off eliquis (blood thinner) for 2 days then do a Prostate Artery Embolization (PAE), but the doctor who did his ablation said absolutely not because of the risk of stroke. (He had a pretty extensive ablation.)

We're hoping for a plan B and plan C to get my dad home. But little is being provided, other than the CBI (irrigation). So we'd like to suggest some alternatives.

Question: Is there a safe/effective procedure or another way to stop the prostate bleeding for an enlarged prostate that doesn't involve getting off blood thinners?

Again, he's out of state and will have to fly back home. But he can't if he's bleeding and having clots.
Re: Ways to stop prostate bleeding (post-ablation)
July 27, 2021 11:12AM
Sorry your dad's having a rough go of it. I don't think there's anything laymen can offer to treat a urinary tract bleed that isn't already being done.
July 27, 2021 11:13AM
Ok thanks Carey.
July 31, 2021 12:24PM
I am sorry for the tough problems your dad is having.

Your post raises some important questions. Many men over 60 have enlarged prostate and urinary issues. It seems this might impact cardiac ablation because these issues could be aggravated by difficulty urinating lying down, or urinating with an overfilled bladder, or urinating while and after recovering from anestasia, or with placing a catheter, or?. It seems like getting prostate/bladder issues resolved if possible prior to the ablation might be something to strongly consider. Or is this case an outlier?
July 31, 2021 12:41PM
This is the lesson I've learned (through my dad's experience): If men have enlarged prostates, enlarged bladders or other major urinary issues, I would recommend getting these resolved, if possible, before the ablation. That would've made the ablation process much better.
October 15, 2021 11:48PM
I assume it isn't just from infection- ie could he do antibiotics to get down the swelling just enough to get him home? I am sure you have thought of this I'm just trying to shoot out ideas. Maybe you can do a 2nd opinion from his local urologist? (There are a lot of things that can be done with the prostate from my understanding...). From a woman's perspective I had to be on xeralto (for afib that was not present at that time), and aspirin (post aortic stent), and I had urinary bleeding. I had to go off the xeralto because I couldn't stop the aspirin for 6 months. I guess I would seek out another urologist opinion ?? And how far of a drive? maybe that seems like an impossible answer but could be?? Again just brainstorming...

sorry about all of this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login