Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Paleo Diet ! Uncivilized (And Unhealthy and Untrue)

Posted by Todd 
Paleo Diet ! Uncivilized (And Unhealthy and Untrue)
January 08, 2014 03:54AM
Somebody on Curezone doesn't like the Paleo Diet.
[curezone.org]

This below was their arguments coming from McDougall Newsletter
that was posted on Curezone.

The Paleo Diet: The Newest Promoter of Eating the Planet and Its Inhabitants to Death

“If You Repeat a Lie Often Enough, It becomes the Truth”

The Hunter-gather Diet Is Repulsive

The Paleo Diet Is a Nutritional Nightmare

Paleo Nutrition Contradicts the Obvious: Most People Have Lived on Starch-based Diets

Widespread Adoption of the Paleo Diet Would Soon Become an Ecological Disaster

Civilizations Could Not Have Thrived on the Paleo Diet

[www.drmcdougall.com]
This news letter has a book on his website. The Starch Solution. smiling smiley
Its looks like its all about article writing, and internet marketing.
I wonder if the book addresses the industrial startches and commercialized prepackaged stuff that is more or less the only stuff thats availiable to the masses ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 03:56AM by Todd.
Re: Paleo Diet ! Uncivilized (And Unhealthy and Untrue)
January 08, 2014 07:15PM
"I wonder if the book addresses the industrial startches and commercialized prepackaged stuff that is more or less the only stuff thats availiable to the masses ?"

There are many, many fruits and veggies available to the "masses", the problem is not the availability, it is a lot of people just don't want to cook from scratch.

I personally don't believe in a strictly Paleo diet, I believe eating some whole grains, beans, corn plus meat, eggs, fish, fruits and veggies is the way to go, a lot of these diets like the Paleo, Atkins etc. are selling books.

Liz
January 08, 2014 07:34PM
Todd - As we all know, there is no one diet or eating plan that works 100% for everyone, but Paleo eating eliminates many of the harmful grain components that can be offenders in many individuals... due to the hybridizing and manipulating of various grains and the sensitivity to the gliaden protein especially in wheat... in addition to gluten sensitivity as well as dairy proteins that can be detrimental as well. And of course, eliminating grains also means no bakery products that typically contain sugar, dairy products and bad fats, etc.so that's a definite plus for optimizing a healthy lifestyle.

John McDougall's eating plan became the new diet craze over 20 years ago and I remember it well. Three of us decided it made a lot of sense to follow his plan. We each were different different blood types. We bought the tapes, the books and were totally convinced this was the way to go. We had gatherings to demonstrate various recipes following the plan. We were avid McDougall groupies.

One person had such hypoglycemic attacks she called 911 and went to the hospital thinking she was having a heart attack. The other person who was undoubtedly on his way to being insulin resistant...developed symptoms of diabetes and was eventually diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic. I was the third and was also in my first round of medications for afib... the prescribed beta blocker helped propel me to insulin resistance and the diet helped promote hypoglycemic events which were triggers for afib events during sleep.

We all stopped McDougall and assumed a modified Paleo style eating plan and did very well at stabilizing blood glucose levels once again.

As the insulin expert, Ron Rosedale, MD, points out, it's dangerous to eat a diet that continually promotes that much of an insulin response. I can attest that for the three of us, that was definitely true.

I don't think Dr. McDougall does anyone any favors by promoting that type of hype and criticism over a diet called Paleo which is grossly misunderstood as to principle and the biophysiological effects on the body. Not the least of which would be the Advanced Glycation End Product (AGEs) results from eating too much carbohydrates...in which the body just carmelizes as a result.

However, there are undoubtedly individuals who do well and don't have a glucose handling problem or he wouldn't still be promoting his plan so vigorously.

With my experience, I say be very cautious with the McDougall plan.

Jackie

Reminder: Be sure to read the report, Insulin and Its Metabolic Effects by Ron Rosedale, MD.
[www.mercola.com]
January 09, 2014 10:49AM
Seems to me that the DASH diet routinely comes out as the best overall program and is endorsed by our government, for whatever value that adds.

[health.usnews.com]

and the Paleo Diet frequently comes out near the bottom:

[www.blisstree.com]

but the ultimate answer for any individual is whatever works best for them. We are not clones.

Gordon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login