Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Protein

Posted by Elizabeth H. 
Elizabeth H.
Protein
November 25, 2012 11:25AM
Can you get too much protein, people are also using protein drinks. Getting too much protein can cause liver and kidney damage according to a couple of doctors on T.V., they also said it can lead to ketosis which they said isn't good. On this site a protein diet seems to be encouraged.

Also, bananas, according to some here, should only be eaten sparingly--there was a lady who is now in her 70s that said when she was a baby she was diagnosed with celiac disease, the only thing she could eat was bananas, she said she ate a banana for breakfast, one for lunch and one for her dinner, she said she lived on bananas for 2 years. The doctor said that a banana has other nutrients that are very good for you, evidently bananas have something or she couldn't have lived on just them for 2 years. I understand that bananas have a high sugar content as do potatoes, but they also have lots of potassium. I personally rather get my potassium from food rather than supplements.

Liz
Sam
Re: Protein
December 07, 2012 10:47AM
There are varying views on high protein diets but back in my bodybuilding days it was common and those who followed it were healthy ( at least those who didn't take drugs - which wasn't so common then anyway). I was certainly healthy. The paleo diet is high protein and that appears to work.

I have my own views on bananas and potatoes based on my own experience. Both are very high is potassium and easy to take. Some feel the high sugar content uses up the potassium in its metabolism but when I knew very little about Afib I used to eat a banana when I had fast or strong beats and it calmed them down so I believe there is a significant amount of "spare" Potassium after metabolism.

The problem of insulin spike can be mitigated by eating them with a protein source which I always do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login