Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

URGENT! Drug shortages have arrived!

Posted by Murray L 
URGENT! Drug shortages have arrived!
March 07, 2012 08:05PM
I have posted this in the aFib forum:

I gather that the drug shortages being reported on the news as of late have become critical, to the extent that Chemotherapy patients and non-elective surgeries are being triaged and cancelled!

This is apparantly a very serious problem and it is going to get worse before it gets better.

I note several drugs of interest on the lists in Canada (and perhaps in the US as well?), including

APO - Amiodarone
Nexium
APO Warfarin
etc.

I would suggest doing a google search on "drug shortages" and following the links.

I am not quite frantic, but here in Ontario one is permitted a 50 day supply of TIKOSYN and must wait until it is just about consumed completely before picking up the next 50 day supply.

Metoprolol, which I also take, is not on the list as of yet, but you can be sure that I am going to ensure that I have a three or six month supply on hand should it become a shortage item.

This is just a 'heads-up'. Whatever you are taking may not be on the list. It may not be on the list YET. It may NEVER make the list. But watching the news tonight I am seeing that doctors are writing renewal prescriptions that the pharmacies cannot fill and are, in fact, handing back to their customers and telling them to search.

I am still searching for links to determine what drugs are unavailable or in short supply, but suggest in all good conscience that if you are taking a critical medication, you ensure that you have a reserve supply on hand, especially if you find it on one of the lists.

Addendum: Is it just me getting 'antsy'? I am looking at getting my family doctor to write me some prescriptions for a 90 day supply of essential medications and paying for it out of my own pocket (as opposed to insurance paying for it).
Re: URGENT! Drug shortages have arrived!
March 07, 2012 08:16PM
[www.canadapharma.org]
[www.fridaypm.ca]

[www.fda.gov]

The US drug shortage does not appear at first blush to be as significant as that in Canada.

It certainly has made the news bigtime north of the 49th.

Murray
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login