Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is the difference between Magnesium Bicarbonate & Carbonate.

Posted by Sam 
Sam
What is the difference between Magnesium Bicarbonate & Carbonate.
June 25, 2012 02:35AM
Magnesium Bicarbonate has been highly recommended recently for increasing alkalinity. It's very difficult to get in the U.K.

Magnesium Carbonate, on the other hand, is available. Will it have a similar effect?

Thanks
Sam
Sam: They are not the same..

This Board has for years recommended a simple recipe for making your own magnesium bicarbonate, which needs to be in a liquid form to be effective. It's called Waller Water and Jackie discusses it frequently on the Board.

Check out: [www.afibbers.org]

Gordon
Sam
Re: What is the difference between Magnesium Bicarbonate & Carbonate.
June 25, 2012 11:14AM
Thanks, Gordon. Sadly unadulterated Milk of Magnesia also very hard to get here.
-- Magnesium bicarbonate -- Mg(HCO3)2 -- exists in water, but not as a solid. Alkaline Mg bicarbonate water -- e.g. WW -- delivers magnesium and bicarbonate into cells as "co-transporters" across cell membranes.

-- Magnesium carbonate -- MgCO3 -- "is a white solid that occurs in nature as a mineral" [en.wikipedia.org]
Note that CO3 (carbonate) plus H = HCO3 (bicarbonate). This suggests that magnesium carbonate may also be used to make alkaline magnesium bicarbonate water (WW). We should work out a way to do it.

-- Magnesium hydroxide -- Mg(OH)2 -- exists only as a solid. Powdered and mixed with water as a milky "suspension" it's called "milk of magnesia" (MoM). [en.wikipedia.org]

-- WW is made from Mg hydroxide, either as dry powder or from MoM. Mg hydroxide powder may be procured from a pharmacist, chemicals supply company, or on-line, e.g. PureBulk [purebulk.com]

-- For Recommended WW instructions and informative, fascinating history, see From UW to WW with love [www.afibbers.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2012 05:55PM by Erling.
Sam
June 26, 2012 11:42AM
Thanks, Erling! Now all I need is a U.K. source of Mag Hydroxide. No luck so far. Sometimes it seems that we're the poor country cousins here!
June 26, 2012 01:18PM
Sam, i make the WW with the Milk of Magnesia we can get here in Britain. Don't know if its as effective or even detrimental but nevertheless thats what i use on occasion.

Cheers.....P
Sam
June 27, 2012 11:55AM
Thanks Paul. I've checked again and see that Amazon have Phillip's Original Milk of Magnesium in stock again.

This doesn't contain sweeteners or colourings. Ingredients are Magnesium Hydroxide, purified water & Sodium hypochloride. The last one concerns me as it is household bleach.

Anyone any thoughts on this?
June 27, 2012 12:12PM
Sam,

Baking soda i.e. Sodium Bicarbonate is an excellent all purpose cleaner for the laundary, kitchen or bathroom it also apparently kills cancer cells immediately without even affecting normal cells - check out Dr Simoncini on google.

During my recent readings I have discovered that Borax aka washing detergent is a dead sure cure for arthritis when used in the correct doses.
Apparently a Western Australian was selling borax tablets which were selling like hot cakes - because they worked - until he tried to sell his discovery to a pharmacutical company who finally got him closed down because his discovery was affecting their sales, the claim was that Borax was toxic. The new replacement for Borax in the detergent world is apparently three times more toxic.

Borax is now off the shelves throughout many parts of the western world.

Its all out there on the internet, be your own judge!!

Barry G.
Sam / all -

Phillips' Original Milk of Magnesia Liquid, 26oz Bottle (Pack of 2) $17.25 [www.amazon.com]

"Active Ingredients: Per Teaspoon (5 ml): Magnesium Hydroxide 400 mg. Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water. Shake well before using".

No mention of sodium hypochlorite in this Phillips MoM. I have seen Phillips with / and without at the local store -- confusing.

Erling
MOM bought from us california ( bayer original) :
ingredients..magnesium hydrochloride+ purified water+ sodium hypochlorite
sugar free
ben
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login