Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

blood pressure

Posted by janet 
janet
blood pressure
April 18, 2011 09:09PM
Hello,
Does "high blood pressure" mean always high - ie you never get a normal reading?
I've had fluctuating blood pressure for years but now it seems persistently quite high during the day but always drops in the evening and is low on first getting up.
I do wonder if my daytime af is related to my high daytime blood pressure - I seem to need adrenaline to push thro' the day.
I just take a low dose propanolol, but have tried several b blockers but none control my daytime bp.
I'm in line for an ablation next month, and the ep said bp can be looked at after, but I still feel the two things might be related.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Janet
GeorgeN
Re: blood pressure
April 19, 2011 12:07AM
Suggest you read:

Richard D. Moore, MD, PhD. The High Blood Pressure Solution (2001). He makes a case that the potassium/sodium ratio should be greater than 4.
[www.amazon.com]

Also CR 72: <[www.afibbers.org];

Magnesium and blood pressure.
[www.mgwater.com]

and these links on the magnesium water site: [bit.ly]

"Insulin also causes the retention of sodium, which causes the retention of fluid, which causes high blood pressure and fluid retention"
<[www.afibbers.org];

In summary - suggestions (assuming healthy kidneys - BUN/Creatinine blood tests):

1. Keep potassium/sodium ratio ingested to at least 4 by increasing potassium and decreasing sodium

2. Increase magnesium intake to bowel tolerance

3. Keep blood sugar at all times between 60 and 85 mg/dL. For suggestions here see Rosedale [www.drrosedale.com]
[www.amazon.com]
and Bernstein [www.diabetes-book.com]

These suggestions may have a positive effect on afib as well as blood sugar.

George

April 19, 2011 05:40AM
Janet - George is referring to dietary intake (from foods) that would make up the appropriate potassium-to-sodium ratio (4:1). If you haven't assessed your daily intake of everything you consume and make a log of both the sodium and potassium content, that would be a good start to learning what might be driving the fluctuations of your blood pressure.

I think it's appropriate to address blood pressure fluctuations before you have an ablation so you don't have another worry on your mind.

Be well, Jackie
janet
April 19, 2011 07:01AM
Thanks Jackie and George.
I have been trying for some time to increase pot and mag thro' food and supplements, and cut out as much salt as possible.
But I still wonder why, if my blood pressure problems are due to imbalance in pot, mag and salt, I have normal pressure from evening - when I relax down - until morning when I tense up to face the day. Despite trying meditation and other techniques it seems normal for me to be tense to function.
As you said, Jackie, I think this neecds sorting otherwise it seems like I'll have the ablation, then just "blow a fuse" again.

Janet
Elizabeth H.
April 19, 2011 07:55AM
Janet:

Perhaps your doctor would consider having you wear an inflatable blood pressure cuff, you wear it for 24 hours, it keeps inflating off and on throughout the 24 hours and records it. That will give a good picture of your blood pressure, my doctor had me wear the cuff because everytime I had my BP taken in his office it was higher than when I take it at home, the 24 hour test showed my blood pressure was ok.

I am not sure that doing all that is said here for BP problems always solves ones' BP, some people just can't seem to get it down. My BP isn't really low but it isn't too high either, systolic runs from 125---145, my diastolic usually is very good.

Liz
April 19, 2011 10:14AM
Janet - it could be that your anxiety level ... dealing with an AF journey that is now culminating in ablation keeps you in a relative state of heightened anxiety and stress. That's typically an adrenal issue that could be addressed with adrenal support nutrients. If you are always 'on edge or tense' internally, even though you may not feel that way, your body can be on alert and producing cortisol in anticipation of handling the stress that's either real or perceived. If that occurs continually, the result is eventually adrenal burnout and other symptoms.

There probably isn't enough time to make a huge improvement but you can consider right now trying L-theanine several times a day for relaxing. This stimulates alpha wave function but does not make you tired, sleepy or feeling impaired in any way. I've posted numerous times about the calming effects of theanine.

Following is a report by naturopath, Michael T. Murray, N.D. that describes the properties and dosing of theanine.

I get mine (Jarrow 100) from Hans' iherb website at this link:
[www.iherb.com]

There is a 24-hour saliva collection test by Genova Diagnostics that can be ordered that measures your cortisol production at key times and the results then indicate if you have adrenal problems. You may want to look into that after your ablation has healed-- if the Bp issue continues.
Contact me later on and I'll help you with information.

Be well, Jackie

L-Theanine: the Next Supplement Superstar
by Dr. Michael Murray, ND

Introduction
Everyday stress is a normal part of modern living. ****pressures; family responsibilities; financial pressures; traffic, and time management are just a few of the constant stressors most of us are faced with on a daily basis. Sometimes the stress of modern life can be overwhelming as a result as a result nearly 20% of adults in the U.S. use a drug like Xanax, Valium, Restoril, Lunesta, or Ambien to help them calm down or get to sleep.

The problem is that all of these drugs are associated with significant risks including the fact that they are highly addictive and are very poor candidates for long-term use. Common side effects include dizziness, drowsiness, and impaired coordination, it is important not to drive or engage in any potentially dangerous activities while on these drugs. Alcohol should never be consumed with these drugs as it could be fatal. Prescriptions for these sorts of drugs are at an all time high and actually increased by 35% last year.

L-theanine: A gentle, natural alternative

L-theanine, a unique amino acid found almost exclusively in tea plants (Camellia sinensis), is emerging as the premier natural product to relieve stress and anxiety. Although L-theanine is the primary amino acid component of green tea comprising between 1 to 2% of the dry weight of tea leaves, it has been available in the U.S. in a purified form for several years now. This purified form is known as Suntheanine.

The effects of L-theanine are truly amazing. Clinical studies have demonstrated that L-theanine reduces stress, improves the quality of sleep, diminishes the symptoms of the premenstrual syndrome, heightens mental acuity and reduces negative side effects of caffeine. These clinical effects are directly related to L-theanine’s ability to stimulate the production of alpha brain waves (a state often achieved by meditation and characterized by being relaxed with greater mental focus and mental alertness) as well as reduce beta-waves (associated with nervousness, scattered thoughts, and hyperactivity).

L-theanine has been approved for use in Japan as an aid to conquer stress and promote relaxation. It is a very is a popular ingredient in function foods and beverages as well as dietary supplements designed to produce mental and physical relaxation, without inducing drowsiness. L-theanine is fast-acting. Generally, the effects are felt within the first 30 minutes, and have been shown to last up to 8 to 12 hours. Based on the results of clinical studies, it has been established that L-theanine is effective in the range of 50 - 200 mg. If a person has higher levels of stress it is often recommended that they take at least 100 to 200 mg one to three times daily. Although L-theanine is completely safe and without any known adverse drug interaction, as a general guideline it is recommended to take no more than 600 mg within a 6 hour period and no more than 1,200 mg within a 24 hour period.

At typical dosages, e.g., 100-200 mg L-theanine does not act as a sedative, but it does significantly improve sleep quality. It is also an excellent synergist to melatonin and 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) in promoting sleep. On its own, L-theanine at a dosage of 200 mg was shown in a double-blind trial to produce statistically significant improvements in sleep efficiency, an index of actual sleep time enjoyed between the time of falling asleep and nighttime awakenings.

Why L-theanine poised to be the next supplement superstar

There are several reasons why L-theanine is going to emerge as a major natural product. The first is that it definitely fills a need as a safe alternative to prescription drugs that are highly addictive and have a long list of side effects. The scientific merit of the product has been sufficiently established in helping to relieve mild anxiety and improve sleep quality. Next, it is a product that is truly experiential. In other words, it is a product that you can feel.

Interestingly, however, is that in the studies looking at L-theanine’s ability to produce an increase in alpha-waves, the relaxing effect was really only noticeable in people who were experiencing a bit of nervousness. People who were already feeling relaxed and alert did not experience any change when they took L-theanine. So, the people who are really go to feel the full effects of L-theanine are those that truly need it.

Another reason why I am predicting here that L-theanine is going to be a major natural product in the marketplace is that I am anticipating the results from clinical studies in progress are going to produce extremely positive results. For example, Michael Lyon, M.D., Director of the Canadian Center for Functional Medicine, in conjunction with the University of British Columbia is conducting a double-blind, placebo controlled study in boys diagnosed with attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity.

If the results of Dr. Lyon’s study are as impressive as case histories and preliminary studies, L-theanine should emerge as a safe, natural alternative to the drug Ritalin. If that happens, I think it is very safe to say that sales of L-theanine will sky rocket.

Source of article: Vital Nutrients website...
janet
April 20, 2011 03:46AM
Elizabeth - I've had the cuff and it was like having the enemy on my arm! I was constantly anticipating it taking a reading - but my average was just about ok because I still had low readings evening and night - when my mind was out of action.
Jackie - I really would like to address my adrenal issues as I feel years of, unconsciously, not relaxing thro' life but tensing up to face it, I've probably worn out my adrenals. I've justgot some Theanine so will start on it right away, but I'd be very keen to learn of other adrenal support. I'll check the Genova Diagnostics test to see if it's available in UK.
I'm going to postpone my end of May ablation for a month or so - dh leaves work end of June, so not the best month for him to be worrying about me.
My af is a few hours two or three times a month so hopefullyit wont suddenly deteriorate.
I'm really grateful for your offer of help with the adrenal issue.
Janet
GeorgeN
April 20, 2011 02:46PM
Janet,

Though not as continuous as you, I did have white coat hypertension.

The worst was when I sat through oral arguments in a business lawsuit I was involved with in the morning (ultimately defeated what was basically a frivolous, but very stressful lawsuit). Then I was having a lithotripsy for a kidney stone in the afternoon. Drove the 90 miles back home to the hospital and checked in. Between sitting through the courtroom and anticipation of the procedure, my BP was something like 220/120!

Another time I was having my BP measured for an insurance physical. The guy said it was increasing as he took it.

BP is fine (90's over 50's) when I take it now and even when I went in to give blood the other day it was up to 110/64 (all w/o any meds).

George
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login