Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NSR is all about energy. Energy is all about ATP. ATP is all about ribose.

Posted by Anonymous User 
Pure and simple, a heart in arrhythmia loses ATP faster than it can be replaced, so it's downhill all the way: arrhythmia begets arrhythmia.

ATP is fuel for the heart as gasoline is fuel for a car -- But, there is only enough ATP at any moment for about 2 seconds of driving, and the heart's mitochondria must replace ATP at a high rate that keeps pace with the high rate of consumption -- But, in arrhythmia the mitochondria can't possibly do that. Make a bet right now that a core reason paroxysmal AF --> persistent AF --> permanent AF is because arrhythmia creates an increasingly deep ATP debt over time, which begets all the dire consequences we know and read about.

Back to the future:

Ribose to the rescue, "The Missing Link", "The New Kid on The Block", the from-scratch builder of new ATP. The ribose molecule is the 'structural backbone' of ATP just as it's the structural side-rails of the DNA double-helix 'ladder', the 'rungs' forming the genetic codes. A diagram of the ATP molecule (Adenosine-Tri-Phosphate) shows an adenine molecule with a ribose molecule bridging to 3 phosphate molecules. The fuel energy of ATP is in the high-energy chemical bond between two phosphates.

When ATP contacts an ATPase - enzymes that break the ATP's phosphate bond - the bond's energy is released to do whatever work the ATPase does. The full name of the sodium/potassium pumps that generate the cells' electricity is Na+,K+,ATPase -- 'sodium pump' for short, because much of their work is accomplished by the sodium they pump out of the cell. Great article and animation: The Na+-K+-ATPase (Sodium Pump) [www.vivo.colostate.edu]

So, supplemental ribose is indeed the "missing link", physically and figuratively. With limited new ATP from limited internally-synthesized ribose, the other three of Sinatra's "awsome foursome" - magnesium, carnitine, CoQ10 - won't have much to do in the mitochondria where ATP recycling takes place.

PS: A word to the wise shopper: The NOW Co. apparently dilutes their ribose (with sugar?) because 2 tsp NOW = 5 grams, whereas all others (that I've looked at) 1 tsp = 5 grams. Years ago when I asked NOW about this they gave me a big song and dance, but they haven't changed their tune.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2012 07:04PM by Erling.
Re: NSR is all about energy. Energy is all about ATP. ATP is all about ribose.
March 14, 2012 08:41AM
I appreciate the fundamental importance of the ATP producing physiology taking place in the mitochondria, but I question the efficacy of supplemental ribose in enhancing the ATP production mechanism. I base this questioning, not on a better understanding of the physiology, but rather on my own disappointing experience with taking supplemental ribose over several years which have shown no detectable results. Does Dr. Sinatra offer much evidence supporting his advocacy of supplemental ribose? The ribose molecule is a rather simple affair is it not the case that the body can synthesize ribose and not rely on ingested sources?

Josiah
Hi Josiah,

- Supplementing ribose will not be of any benefit if there is already sufficient ATP production to meet ATP demand.
- Supplementing ribose will be beneficial if ATP demand exceeds mitochondrial ATP production.

In cardiologist Stephen Sinatra's book on cardiac metabolism*, chapter 3 ATP: The Miracle of Life spends nearly 30 pages describing precisely the complex science of ATP synthesis, loss, and 'de novo' replacement.which requires ribose.

Take care! Erling.

* The Sinatra Solution - Metabolic Cardiology [www.amazon.com]
The 2011 edition has additional information on the health benefits of "earthing" (grounding to mother earth), otherwise it is the same as the 2008 edition. Highly recommended!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2012 05:16AM by Erling.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login