Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which Iodine has fewest side effects?

Posted by stranger 
Which Iodine has fewest side effects?
February 18, 2012 07:10AM
I started Lugol's Iodine five months ago, convinced by the research I did of its importance for Afib and general health.

Most authorities say side effects, apart from a few days due to Bromide detox, are extremely rare, but this doesn't seem to be the case. At least four of the fairly small number who have posted on the Forum have had side effects, including myself. I have felt like I have constant cold since I started. Starting very low, 750 mcgs, and working up very slowly then backing of a few times and slowly increasing has made no difference. The most I've ever worked up to is about 15mgs.

I've persevered because I am getting benefits. My fast heartbeats on waking in the night are much improved, I've got more energy and I'm more mentally alert. I'm even losing the grey in my remaining hair and the bald patch seems to be growing again!

So - is there another form of Iodine which has fewer side effects? I've spent frustrating hours researching Nascent Iodine, Atomic Iodine and Detoxified Iodine. Some would say these are all the same but apparently not. I almost bought Atomidine then found that Curezone posts warn against this because of the 3 parts Chlorine to 1 part Iodine. It is claimed to be the original formula devised by Edgar Cayce but EdgarCayceRemedy.com says it is not and its formula does not contain Chlorine.

So to get back to the question. Does anyone have any information of what is the best (and why) or advice on overcoming the side effects (apart from NAET - no Practitioners within reach).

Thanks

Sam

P.S. Anyone know how to change user name?
Re: Which Iodine has fewest side effects?
February 18, 2012 02:17PM
Hi Sam - The solution for me with the runny nose was to use far less (micrograms) initially than you are using and ramp up very slowly… It took me several years of inching my way up to avoid the nose and skin breakouts… apparently from the bromide detox. As I’ve reported, my payoff has been that I’ve reduced the size of thyroid nodules and eliminated one completely (shown on the last ultrasound).

As a result of a lot of research on supplemental iodine, I found I did best on a mix that includes:
Iodine (2.5 mg as molecular iodine, 2.5 mg as sodium iodide, and 1.25 mg as potassium iodide) for a total of 6.25 mg daily. I’m in the process of doubling it a couple times a week with the goal of 12.50 daily or close to it and depending on symptoms.

Several of the past post’s I’ve offered quoted Dr. Flechas of the “Iodine group” who has indicated that various tissue prefers specific forms of iodine…

The total body can hold 1,500 mg. of iodine. Of those milligrams, 50 can be held by thyroid, but of the total 20% of all that iodine sits inside the skin – basically sweat glands – absence of iodine creates problems with no sweating. Iodine concentrates in sweat glands and allows is to sweat – here in the south patients work in hot moisture and heat in summer and don’t sweat – usually due to iodine deficiency. Given iodine supplements, usually start within a few weeks to sweat

Which form? Iodine or Iodide?

A lot of people think one type of iodine for all types of tissues but they have different requirements.

Thyroid gland prefers iodide – salt of iodine – to make thyroid hormone

Stomach – prefers iodine in order to have normal stomach function. In fact, it’s a Gastroenterology Board question…” What mineral helps to make the stomach make HCl? The absence of iodine causes achlorhydria”? (and we know the stomach that doesn’t make acid has a higher incidence of cancer.)

Ovaries –prefers iodide
Breast tissue prefers both – breast iodide to help stimulate it to make lactoperoxidase and this inside breast tissue goes to membrane surface of breast cell and decreases estrogen receptors inside the breast cell therefore iodine decreases ability of breast cells to be stimulated by estrogen. We think this is protective mechanism to help protect women from breast cancer. From a totally different mechanism, the two types of iodine combined are protective for breast tissues and can that iodine can penetrate into the breast cell

Prostate has own preference for iodine and testicles, the same.
Iodine deficiency is linked to prostate cancer.

As for changing your Author name…. I believe you go to Control Center - Green letters at the URH corner of the page and click on Edit My Profile. I had trouble, too, with the changeover... something didn't work right for me and it took a couple tries.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login