Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SALMON - help! wild caught? farm raised? organic farm raised??

Posted by Tom Poppino 
As part of my afib avoidance diet we eat Salmon 2 or 3 times per week, can someone shed some light on what type is truly best, confused over the wild caught, farm raise issue, now we purchased organic farm raised? and..........it's all 16 to 18 dollars a pound.........

Tom P

4 months no episodes now!!
Re: SALMON - help! wild caught? farm raised? organic farm raised??
February 16, 2012 10:12AM
Tom - If you check out Dr. Mercola's website, he has discussed this dilemma frequently. The Vital Choices website is also very informative and reliable.

Wild 'caught' Salmon is the absolute best. Farm raised leaves a lot of room for speculation as they feed the salmon unnatural food, regardless of the 'organic' claims.

Glad your heart has stabilized. Good job.

Jackie
February 16, 2012 11:46AM
Tom, I swear I will never eat farmed fish ever. My wife and I eat wild salmon three times a week. I am so fortunate to live in the Pacific north west, actually I live around 60 KLM. east of Vancouver. I love to catch my own fish. Sockeye salmon, which are are by far the beat salmon out there, return to the spawning grounds via the Fraser river, during the summer months. There is a two day catch limit, and I was fortunate enough to catch around 25 sockeye last summer. In October I fish for Coho salmon which are also delicious and full of all those wonderful healthy things.
Last nights dinner was a beautiful filet of sockeye and a lovely green salad. The cheapest way to purchase salmon is if you can buy previously frozen, which is usually put on sale at super markets at a reasonable price. Native indians are alloted catch limits, and some of them can legally sell fish to the general public. They usually charge $10.00 per fish.
Lou
February 16, 2012 01:46PM
Hi Lou - you are really lucky to be able catch your own fish from pristine waters.. I'd love that! I totally agree about eating farm-raised fish. I have probably done it by accident in restaurants (or they were less then honest), but when I shop, I avoid anything farm raised. The local small market has fish flown in daily from the Northern waters and they offer a wonderful selection from wild-caught fish including the sockeye salmon. Great food. Be well. Jackie
Afer reading a few horror sttorys abouty Farm raised Salmon labelded as Fresh atlantic Salmon. I quit buying them. They feed these fish soy pellets and waste processed food products, 3 weeks before harvest they feed them Red dye in tthe soy pellets..
I read an atticle that says Canned Alaskan Salmon was Ok to eat, but maybe not as pretty as fresh filets.. I got into the habit of eating canned salmon on my weekend sailing adventuresfmostly for ;convience.. Since I had my Stroke last may 2011, docgtors told me to avoid Salt.. I noticed that canned Salmon is loaded with salt. if I eat 1/2 can of Salmon I am at my limit of Salt intake for the day. I heard you can throw away the OIl and rinse the Salmon a few times to remove most of the salt,

I noticed that perch is pretty abundant lately.. Fresh Ocean Pearch, a product of China. I wonder if these fish were exposed to Japan`s Radiation leaks from the Forkoshima Disaster..?? RadioiActive Oceand Perch vs Mercury lake Perch..?? ..
Lou:

How do you cook your salmon? I eat salmon about once a week, usually roast it, I would like some other ideas, I am a pretty good cook but not with fish.

Liz
February 17, 2012 12:08AM
Liz,

A very easy way to cook fish, and tasty as well, is to cook it in paper.

Preheat oven to 400°F
◊ Take parchment paper (available at any grocery store nowadays). All you need is a piece large enough to contain your ingredients with enough extra to crimp the edges.
◊ Any fish about 4-6 oz. Boneless is preferable, as it will cook quicker.
◊ Vegies--any (or all) of these plus others work well: squash, spinach, bok choy, jullienned carrots/bell peppers, sliced onions. The thing to keep in mind is thin enough pieces to cook as quickly as the fish.
◊ splash of olive oil if it is white fish or toasted sesame oil for all fish
◊ Pepper.
◊ Squeeze of lemon
◊ Optional: A splash of soy sauce (yes, it's salty, but a little goes a long way for flavor)

Place the vegies on the paper, place the fish on top. Sprinkle pepper on the fish and the lemon juice. Put the oil(s) on top, Put the soy sauce on top as well.
Seal it all up in the paper, and place on cookie sheet.
Bake for 10-15 min. depending on thickness of fish.

This is for each serving. It makes a fun presentation. :-)

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 12:19AM by lisa s.
February 17, 2012 12:44PM
John - One of the posters previously mentioned that Trader Joe's has canned salmon that contains no sodium.

Cooking salmon should be done at low heat. High temps destroy the benefits of the Omega 3's which is one of the main reasons for eating it in the first place.

Recently Cardiologist Stephen Sinatra and his son Step, were demonstrating how to bake salmon. and retain the health benefits. They they coated it with organic olive oil and lemon slices, freshly ground pepper and baked at 200°F for about 40 minutes. Step said it may seem not cooked but it is and it's the very healthiest way to eat salmon. Grilling or high heat baking is to be avoided.

Lisa... soy sauce on wonderful fresh salmon? What about the sodium and MSG content? Not a good recipe for afibbers...or anyone, really.

Jackie
February 17, 2012 12:45PM
Informative info on GMO salmon

[www.naturalnews.com]
February 17, 2012 01:20PM
Jackie, that's why I said "optional". A tiny bit goes a long way, and has a lot of flavor--more than plain salt per mg of sodium. If you mix it with lemon juice all you need is a couple of drops. I'm open to an alternative that has as much flavor punch.

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
Jackie, thanks. I`ll try to find the low salt canned Salmon..at trader jacks. I called the 800 number on my canned Salmon, talked to a company representaive.. He told me the Salmon is caught, quickly taken ato the process plant, cooked and canned.. you can eat it straght out of the can if you like.. Maybe I`ll call back. ask them what temp and how long hey cook the Saslmon. maybe he has a tip on washing ouat the Salt.??
February 17, 2012 04:27PM
John - Trader Joe's... not Jacks.. and it was unsalted salmon. I haven't checked out my store but I will soon.

It may be difficult to rinse off canned salmon...but could put in in a wire strainer and hold it under warm running water to help rinse but the sodium is going to be in the flesh. Good luck.

Lisa - I don't use anything extra other than sometimes lemon because I don't want to spoil the wonderful natural flavor of salmon. I see no need to "enhance" Mother Nature's gift.

Jackie
Lisa:

Thanks, that sounds good, I will try that, fish seems to be the hardest thing for me to cook, fried probably tastes the best, but it isn't as healthy for you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login