Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Think 'The Great Cholesterol Con' isn't an evil con game?

Posted by Erling 
=======
[douglassreport.com]

Barking up the wrong tree on cholesterol

Think statins have been a success? You ain't seen nothing yet: The drug industry is hatching a plan to get everyone -- and I mean everyone -- on not one, but TWO cholesterol meds.

One to lower cholesterol... and one to raise it. You just can’t make this stuff up!

Ever since the runaway success of those LDL-lowering statins, the Holy Grail has been a med that can raise levels of HDL, the supposedly "good" cholesterol -- and that’s completely missing the point.

All that really matters is your TOTAL cholesterol. If it's between 200 and 300, you don't need to waste a moment sorting the "good" from the "bad".

But you can bet there will be an HDL med on the market any day now, and one company is moving a step closer with a drug called evacetrapib. Its biggest achievement so far? It can raise HDL cholesterol without actually killing anyone... yet.

Believe it or not, that’s a big deal - because an experimental HDL drug in the same class had to be abandoned a couple of years ago when the patients who took it began dropping like flies.

I won’t bore you with the rest of the details, because the last thing in the world anyone needs is a drug to raise HDL levels anyway..You can do it on your own -- and it starts with an ingredient that’s probably in your home right now: booze.

Earlier this year, researchers found that a moderate drinking habit can raise HDL levels better than any known drug on the market.

But don’t stop there. When it comes to HDL, even the mainstream admits that more is better. You can give yourself an extra boost by cutting your sugar intake to almost zero and eating more food rich in omega-3 fatty acids.

That means grass-fed beef and fatty fish. And take a fish oil supplement while you’re at it -- the only "cholesterol pill" I recommend.
==========

"Meet Dr. Douglass" [douglassreport.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login