Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Those damn essential fatty acids

Posted by Josiah 
Josiah
Those damn essential fatty acids
October 05, 2011 01:19PM
I've been preoccupied by the task of putting together a diet which has the recommended 2 :1 ratio of omega-6 to omega 3 fatty acids. Virtually every fat source with the exception of a few cold water oily fishes is heavily skewed towards omega-6. My strategy has been to obtain a targeted amount of omega-3 by eating regular portions of those oily cold water fishes and taking omega-3 supplements and then strive to minimize eating any food with significant quantities of omega-6.

One question I currently don't know the answer to is the role of the alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) form of omega-3 which occurs in plant based fats. ALA is frequently spoken about as being easily oxidized and having minimal health benefits. As a consequence I have left it out of my calculations prefering to just minimize plant based polyunsaturated fats.

For an interesting example consider Canola oil which is touted as having a healthy 2:1 omega-6/omega-3 ratio, but the omega-3 is the ALA form. Olive oil has a much worse 12:1 ratio, but I would choose the olive oil over the Canola oil because the total amount of polyunsaturated fats in a cup of Canola oil is much greater than total amount of polyunsaturated fats in a cup of olive oil.

I would be interested in learning what other strategies forum members have devised.

Josiah

Re: Those damn essential fatty acids
October 06, 2011 01:06AM
Josiah - why would you want to weight toward the Omega 6's? Have you read Barry Sears PhD - The Antiinflammatory Zone? He explains in detail the reasons to keep the ratios of 3's high compared to 6's. The overproduction of AA (arachidonic acid) leads to inflammation and that's what we try to avoid.

Canola oil should be avoidedas it's a refined oil. Cold pressed virgin olive oil is good as is coconut oil.

Here are my notes from The A4M Conference in 2004.... with Dr. Sears and Dr. Sinatra on the topic of silent inflammation which is what we need to avoid and using high Omega 3's and keeping the 6's low is the way to do this. (I left out the Sinatra notes)

Jackie

Part V Silent Inflammation….Barry Sears, Stephen Sinatra.

This is from the A4M convention…this section was on “Treating the Difficult Patient”

There was one group of presenters talking on Inflammation. I sat in on Barry Sears, PhD ( of “The Zone” fame) and the last portion of Stephen Sinatra, MD. Dr. Sinatra gave an abbreviated version the handout I’ve reproduced for you here. It’s like a mini book…loaded with nuggets of importance and was originally presented at another conference. I was elated to find it in my handouts.

Dr. Sears’ talk was “ Does Silent Inflammation Make Medicine an Art instead of a Science?” Dr. Sears New Book… “The Anti Inflammatory Zone” is one to consider owning.

He emphasized that testing for the ratio of Arachidonic Acid (AA) and EPA is the most precise marker of Silent Inflammation (SI)… it is a predictor decades before diseases manifest. Early detection and prevention.
For inflammation… as in the case of NSAIDS… using the correct dosage is critical. He says that as many people die from side effects of NSAIDS as from AIDS.

We must practice “dietary endocrinology” Glucagon is the Mobilizing Hormone; Eicosanoids are master hormones. Anti-inflammatory diets control Eicosanoids.

Everyone should be checked for fasting Insulin. Average is 10 and idea is less than 5. If elevated, people have a 5-fold increase of likelihood of dying from heart disease.

We must lose fat. Fat cells generate inflammation. Obesity has produced an epidemic of inflammation.

Pediatric concerns indicate higher BMI’s and equivalent higher CRP ( inflammation marker)
Elevated insulin increases hunger.
The best diet is a balanced diet (Dr. Sinatra discusses below)… because…. too much protein increases ketosis which increases cortisol which increases insulin.

The brain needs adequate blood glucose… and if you don’t put complex carbs in the diet, the body breaks down muscle to get glucose.
He said the Zone Diet to control insulin is easy. Cut back on grains and starches. Look at your plate…. the low-fat protein portion should be no bigger than the size of your palm and no thicker. The rest of the plate should be filled with veggies and fruits and a small quantity of monosaturated fat..

Insulin and EPA - EPA is an inhibitor.
We need to avoid making Acharadonic Acid…this is most toxic. Inhibit Cox enzymes with high dose EPA fish oils.

[aside:
1. Omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation, omega-6 increase inflammation.
2. Omega-3 fatty acids are antithrombotic, omega-6 increase blood clotting.
3. Omega-3 are non-immunoreactive, omega-6 are immunoreactive.

Flaxseed oil contains alpha-linolenic acid but no EPA and DHA.
• Fish oil contains primarily EPA and DHA ]

He says fish oils act the same as statins.
One of the most well known studies, the GISSI-3 {Gruppo Italiano per lo Studio della Sopravvivenza nell'Infarto Miocardio (GISSI)-Prevenzione}, in which 11,324 people were given 1gram of omega-3 fatty acids or control for 24 months. This large study showed that persons given omega-3 fatty acid supplements had a 45% decrease in risk of sudden cardiac death and a 20% reduction in all-cause mortality.

[GISSI-Prevenzione Investigators. Dietary supplementation with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E after myocardial infarction: results of the GISSI-Prevenzione trial. Lancet 1999;354:447-55. ] [www.ajcn.org]

Fish oil crosses the Blood Brain Barrier.
In Bipolar cases – people given 9 grams fish oil a day showed 500% improvement. This is close to a medical miracle. In the Omega 3’s – the EPA is anti-inflammatory and the DHA – supports the brain.

He says – use fish oil rather than eating fish. All fish are contaminated – they eat from the “sewer of the sea.”

Daily Dosing: Total EPA/DHA Omega 3 Fish oil.
2.5 grams for Wellness – Omega 3 and a TBS of cod liver oil
5 gms daily to improve heart function and if diabetic
7.5 grams – to reduce pain and inflammation
10 – 25 grams for neurological diseases.

Fish oil has no impact on Coumadin. He says studies up to 16 grams a day show anti-clotting action the same as 1 aspirin a day.

We must test for AA/EPA ratio…which should be 1.5 and 3 respectively.

Called Isolated Plasma Phospholipids.
To use fish oils in elevated doses, it is important to do testing. This is not a guessing game. It will take 7 – 14 days to make a biochemical difference and this is a lifetime commitment…the taking of Omega 3 fish oils.
Borage oil is a toxic nutrient as it goes right to AA…the very thing we are trying to avoid.

Lancet – Eskimos haemorrhagic stroke study[journals.cambridge.org]

The AA/EPA balance, as measured in the blood, represents the balance of “bad” and “good”
eicosanoids throughout the body. Arachidonic acid causes platelet aggregation by triggering the release of thromboxane A2. This kind of endothelial cell unfriendly process is the perfect
scenario to set the stage for chronic, silent inflammation while promoting blood clotting at the
same time. High levels of EPA will counteract the negative effects of AA production and keep inflammation at bay.

An ideal AA/EPA ratio is 1.5. Too much insulin in the body exacerbates AA production and therefore catalyzes inflammation. If you eat an imbalance of (too many) carbohydrates, refined sugars, and proteins at each meal, you will provoke a greater insulin response. Chronic excess insulin will accelerate inflammation, heart disease, obesity, and Type II diabetes; as such hyperinsulinemic patients also have elevated CRP levels.
Josiah
October 06, 2011 06:17AM
Jackie-

Re read my post and you'll see that I'm desperately trying to reduce omega-6 fatty acids from my diet.

See in particular my statement "and then strive to minimize eating any food with significant quantities of omega-6"

I mention a 2: 1 ratio as the best ratio I can conceivably achieve if I'm to eat anything but fish. I challenge you to show me a diet with a AA/EPA ratio of 1:5.

In general I agree with everything you say except for my doubt that any diet exists with an omega-6/omega-3 ratio you suggest.

Do you agree that alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) doesn't really count as an omega-3 for any balancing purposes.

Josiah

October 06, 2011 10:38AM
Josiah - when I get a minute, I'll look up some of the sources I think I remember.... the idea is to have more Omega 3's than 6's. I've heard numerous speakers on this over many years. I'll try to find some time to locate anything useful for your purpose .... it's the first good weather we've had in an age so I'll be away from the computer... but I believe the AA:EPA ratio is discussed in Sears' book, but I can't swear to it. Jackie
Josiah
October 06, 2011 12:19PM
Hi Jackie-

Consider the following foods that many members of this forum probably eat:

grass fed beef, grass fed buffalo, free range chicken, organic eggs advertising extra omega -3, olive oil, avocado, almonds (and all other nuts), sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds (and all other edible seeds), all dairy foods.

What do they all have in common? They all have more than twice as much omega-6 fatty acids as they have omega-3 and in many cases much more.

If you want to have a significant amount of fat in your diet, (and now thanks to George and William, I belong to that camp) you're going to have a very difficult time getting your O-6/O-3 ratio below 5:1 much less my goal of 2:1.

Josiah

William
October 06, 2011 03:12PM
Grass-finished beef has the correct ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 for health.
I tested this proposition by eating only raw grass-finished beef (raw protects the EFAs and other nutrients) and saturated animal fat, then added krill oil.
The result was an overdose of fish oil, as Jackie points out, this crosses the blood-brain barrier, and caused three strokes.

So the policy would be to eat only grass-finished for protein and be a happy camper, or eat the usual muck and do frequent testing/supplementing to control EFA relationships.

The phrase "grass-fed" is a marketing ploy. All oxen eat grass, so farmers and merchants can and do sell "grass-fed" beef finished with poisonous GM corn laced with Roundup (and there's worse fodder than that - you don't want to know). The ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 in this grass-fed beef is ~20 to 1.

William
Josiah
October 06, 2011 08:34PM
William -

I just took delivery of some pemican from US Wellness Meats. They describe their product as having an Omega 6:3 ratio of 3:1 which I think is probably as good as it gets for beef. I know that you make your own pemican, what is your source of beef?

Josiah

William
October 06, 2011 11:03PM
My source is a farm only 2 ½ hours away.
Hard to find grass-finished in Canada.

William
Josiah
October 07, 2011 01:42AM
I'm currently using the following URL as my omega 6/3 reference resource

<nutritiondata.self.com > (I know this isn't clickable)

Does anyone else know a resource which gives values of the three different omega-3 and four different omega-6 fatty acids for a wide range of foods?

Josiah

GeorgeN
October 07, 2011 03:19AM
Hi Josiah,

Without much in the way of grains, the O-6 is pretty modest in my diet. Most of my fat comes from ghee or coconut oil, so pretty saturated. Not that I'm saying a lot of fat is good combined with carbs, but in a low carb environment, it makes a good fuel.

From what I've read, a lot of the inflammation comes from the excess carbs. Dr. Carlson, who'd been treating people with a low carb, higher fat diet for nine years when he wrote his book: [www.drjamescarlson.com] (click on the MyBook tab near the center).
says he's been successful with a variety of mixes of fats. In Chapter 11, (not in the free part online) he says, "In my practice when I have my patients eat either saturated, mono or polyunsaturated fatty acids, they loose weight, their sugars normalize, their triglycerides lower and I see a lowering in blood pressure as well, among many other health benefits. I do not see a worsening of the lab reports. I haven't seen clinically that either fat is any worse or any better for you."

Perhaps when you start burning rather than storing fat, the issue goes away?

George
October 07, 2011 05:36AM
Josiah – This isn’t complete, but here are a few references for more reading.

I agree with George that burning the fat becomes the most relevant issue. It takes fat to burn or metabolize fat, so the if intake is high without a corresponding high exertion level, fat intake can be a problem for some individuals… but typically, it’s those who also add starchy carbs and sugar along with the fat intake… this is where the problem begins. It's what your body does with various types of fat you eat.

Avoiding the types of fat that cause inflammation is the key issue.

Regarding your comment about the AA:EPA ratio…
Barry Sears, Ph.D., researcher and renowned scientist, believes that the AA/EPA ratio is the single most powerful blood test you can take. In his own words, "I firmly believe that it predicts your likelihood of developing cancer, Alzheimer's and heart disease decades before these diseases manifest themselves.

Another very well known and respected fat and oil researcher is Mary Enig, PhD. Do a google on her name and one connected with the Weston Price Foundation… loads of reliable information.
Here’s a May 2011 UTube interview with Mary. [www.youtube.com]

Check this - [danmurphydc.com]
[www.metametrix.com]
[www.psychologytoday.com]

Also:
AA:EPA The diagram above shows the relationship between the omega3 and omega6 pathways. Note that the enzymes lipoxygenase (LOX) and cyclooxygenase (COX) are needed to make nflammatory from AA as well as vasodilatory Pg3 from EPA. Therefore, when there is an excess of AA relative to EPA, more inflammatory prostaglandins are likely to be produced. This is the source of ”Silent Inflammation‘ that Dr. Barry Sears talks about in his book The Anti-Inflammation Zone. Conversely, when EPA is present in sufficient quantity, the LOX and COX enzymes are occupied making more heart healthy Pg3 rather than inflammatory.

Research indicates that humans evolved on a diet of approximately 1:1 AA to EPA, yet most North Americans have a ratio of more than 10 to 1. Dr. Sears states: —it is the ratio of AA to EPA in the blood that provides the most precise marker of silent inflammation …. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of the [ratio of AA to EPA]“ Dr. Sears refers to measurement of the AA:EPA ratio as the —SIP“, which stands for Silent Inflammation Profile.

Research on the AA to EPA ratio continues to highlight the importance of maintaining a low ratio. Competition by AA and EPA for the same enzymes means that excess AA results in the production of more inflammatory prostaglandins. And, excess inflammation, as measured by the ratio of AA to EPA, has been definitely correlated with a number of diseases. Thus, a simple test of essential fatty acid status gives us an excellent means of assessing health status in the absence of overt disease. [www.rmalab.com]

Dr. Ware published an article on this topic a number of years ago…
[www.yourhealthbase.com]
Josiah
October 07, 2011 06:43AM
George-

Both Ghee and coconut oil are predominately saturated fats and so have a much lower incidence of omega-6 than for example vegetable derived oils. Never the less, in a very low carb diet total fat calories probably make up more than 50% of the total and so even though coconut oil is only 2% omega-6 fatty acids that's still a lot more omega-6 than a person on a low fat diet is eating.

And let's not forget the eggs you cook in the ghee - they're 11% omega-6 (I should say 11% of the fat in an egg is omega-6).

Believe me George, I'm completely committed to a low carb diet, still as you increase your fat intake total omega-6 intake becomes a consideration if all the warnings that Jackie has documented are to be taken seriously.

Josiah

Josiah
October 07, 2011 06:58AM
Jackie-

I was very interested in Dr. Sears' statement "Therefore, when there is an excess of AA relative to EPA, more inflammatory prostaglandins are likely to be produced. " because this is the first time I've seen the suggestion that a physiological link exists between the amount of an omega-6 and an omega-3 present in the body at a particular time.

Also, Dr. Sears seems totally preoccupied with just AA and EPA. Does this mean that the other omega 6 and 3 fatty acids are of no particular consequence?

Josiah

October 09, 2011 12:14AM
Josiah - not much time to continue this but found a couple comments of interest.
The book, Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill, by Udo Urasmus is certainly worth reading.
The original 1986 version was updated and revised in 1995, so be sure you consult the latest version.
It’s a great and extremely complete reference for learning how the various oils and fats are metabolized (processed) in the body with either good or not so favorable outcomes. Turning fats into energy also produces anti-inflammatory prostaglandins so it’s good to understand which are best.

One of my favorite pioneers in the field of integrative medicine, Leo Galland, MD, writes in his book
Power Healing - Use the New Integrated Medicine to Cure Yourself....

"Although most Americans consume more than enough Omega-six EFAs, there is a small but significant proporption of the population (about 15 percent, if my patients are in any way representative) who are unable to properly metabolize omega-six EFAs nd will benefit from supplementation with oils that are rich in omega-sixes. The three most useful omega-six-rich oils are evening primrose oil, borage oil and black currant seed oil, all of which are sold in capsule form. These oils contain a special EFA called gamma-linolen ic acid (GLA), which allows the body to overcome the most common impediment to proper utilization of omega-six EFA."

He also says that “eating foods of high nutrient density and avoiding anti-nutrients from trans-fatty acids does not guarantee physiological balance or an adequate uptake of EFAs for each individual. Most people in the US and Europe are short on omega-e intake and will benefit from supplementation along with antioxidants (vitamins E and C plus selenium to prevent oxidation in addition to and not instead of a nutrient-dense diet.”

Testing is one way to determine if you are on the right path with diet and supplements. I'll dig out more on that later.

Jackie

October 18, 2011 09:32AM
Evidence review finds that diets low in omega-3 fats and high in omega-6 fats promote Alzheimer’s disease; antioxidant-rich diets may also reduce risk/severity
by Craig Weatherby
www.vitalchoices.com
(Reprinted with permission)

Alzheimer's disease (AD) is the most common form of dementia, and afflicts some 25 million people worldwide, with half being under 85 years of age.

The causes of AD are not understood and there are no cures or effective treatments.

Genetics play a major role … but a growing body of research suggests that most people can reduce their risk of AD by eating more vegetables, fruits, and fish and fewer processed and prepared foods.

Now, the authors of an evidence review from the University of Turin, Italy conclude that the “omega imbalance” typical of American and western diets – much more omega-6 fat and less omega-3 fat than human bodies need – is an under-recognized risk factor (Corsinovi L et al. 2011).

(To learn more about this issue, and the food sources of both kinds of omega fat, see “America’s Sickening Omega Imbalance”.)

Key Points
•Italtian evidence reviewers link the typical American diet's "omega imbalance" to higher Alzheimer's risk.
•Findings dovetail with the clear link between heart risk and diets too high in omega-6 fats.
•Turin-based team also link food-borne antioxidants to reduced dementia risk/severity.

The Italian researchers’ review notes recent findings on how dietary lipids (fats and cholesterol) affect the risk of Alzheimer's disease in animals and humans, with a focus on the harm done by oxidation of lipids.

As they wrote, “Considerable experimental data suggest the importance, in the pathogenesis of AD, of persistent oxidative stress associated with the presence of oxidation end-products.” (Corsinovi L et al. 2011)

The “omega-ratio” link to cardiovascular and Alzheimer’s disease
Alzheimer’s disease shares a number of risk factors with cardiovascular disease (CVD).

These include hypertension (high blood pressure), high non-HDL cholesterol levels, obesity, smoking, atrial fibrillation, angina, and a gene variation called ApoE4.

Having multiple cardiovascular risk factors raises a person’s risk of Alzheimer’s disease more than any single risk factor does, and also speeds the progression of AD (Rosendorff C et al. 2007; Purnell C et al. 2009; de Toledo Ferraz Alves TC et al. 2010).

Another major factor is having the ApoE4 gene, which greatly raises the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease and cardiovascular disease alike (Corder EH et al. 1993; Kalmijn S et al. 1996; Barberger-Gateau P et al. 2011).

Some epidemiological studies suggest that omega-3 fatty acids from fish may protect against Alzheimer's disease, while others do not. And most clinical trials testing supplemental omega-3 fish oils have yielded disappointing results.

One reason for such divergent results is that some people carry a variation of the ApoE gene, which plays a key role in the transport of cholesterol and other lipids involved in brain composition and function.

The the effects of omega-3 DHA from fish fat appears minimal in people with the ApoE4 variation (allele) of this gene. Carriers of the ApoE4 gene tend are the most responsive to changes in dietary fat and cholesterol.

Surprisingly, some epidemiological studies suggest omega-3-rich diets reduce cognitive decline only in people who do not carry the ApoE4 gene.

This may be because, as other studies suggest, there’s a link between the ApoE4 gene and suffering from dysfunctional metabolism/absorption of dietary omega-3s.

The omega ratio in Alzheimer’s disease
We’re not surprised that the authors believe the balance between omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and cholesterol “surely plays a crucial role in AD's onset”. (Corsinovi L et al. 2011)

A similar link has been shown to exist between people’s dietary omega-3/omega-6 fat ratio and their risk of heart disease … see “Heart Group's Omega-6 Advice Takes a Huge Hit” in the “Omega-3 / Omega-6 Balance” section of our news archive.

Growing evidence links excess dietary cholesterol and omega-6 fatty acids – and accumulation of their oxidized forms – contributes to the onset and progression of Alzheimer’s disease.

And, based on the conclusions of the new evidence review, the two diseases share another risk factor: a low omega-3/omega-6 fat ratio in a person’s diet, which produces a low omega-3/omega-6 ratio in their cell membranes.

A low omega-3/omega-6 ratio creates a pro-inflammatory environment, which in turn promotes oxidation of lipids … a key risk factor for CVD and an increasingly apparent one for Alzheimer’s disease, too.

As the author of a recent evidence review from Texas Tech University wrote, “… chronic inflammation is closely associated with cardiovascular disease, as well as a broad spectrum of neurodegenerative diseases of aging including AD.” (Grammas P 2011)

The omega balance is just one of many other factors, including genetics, educational level, exercise, and more.

“However,” the Italian team emphasized, “it may be said that a dietary regimen low in omega-6 PUFA [polyunsaturated fatty acids] and cholesterol, together with the use of antioxidants, including polyphenols, is valuable within a general strategy of prevention of neurodegenerative diseases.” (Corsinovi L et al. 2011)

They noted that a balanced intake of omega-3 and omega-6 PUFA “is essential for brain homeostasis, while a significantly reduced omega-3/omega-6 PUFA ratio appears to contribute to the onset of AD.” (Corsinovi L et al. 2011)

And based on evidence linking a low omega-3/omega-6 ratio, the University of Turin researchers offered advice that physicians, public health officials, and regular people should heed:
“A dietary regimen including the intake of a recommended amount of omega-3 PUFA or, better, an appropriate omega-6/omega-3 PUFA ratio, could certainly help to prevent cognitive impairment and, in patients with early AD, would help to delay progression of the disease.”

Review also recommends food-borne antioxidants
The Italian team of reviewers also found that the evidence supports the idea that certain of the polyphenol “antioxidants” abundant in certain plant foods might help prevent AD and other neurodegenerative diseases and assist in treatment of early stages.

We put “antioxidant” in quote marks because while polyphenols display potent antioxidant powers in the test tube, the amounts that make it into the bloodstream are generally far too low to make much direct impact.

Instead, animal and clinical research shows that even very small amounts of polyphenols in the blood can influence the expression of genes controlling the body’s own antioxidant and anti-inflammatory network (i.e., “nutrigenomic” effects).

In particular, the researchers noted that several epidemiological studies link lower AD risk to higher intake of polyphenols.

The polyphenols most strongly linked to brain health are flavanols (catechins and procyanidins) – which abound in non-Dutched (i.e., not treated with alkali) cocoa, dark chocolate, grapes, berries, and tea (especially green or white tea) – and the flavonol called quercetin, which is concentrated in onions and other vegetables.

The take away message is an appealing one: to help keep your brain sharp as you age, drink tea, nibble on extra-dark chocolate, and eat plenty of fatty fish, vegetables, and fruits.

Sources
•Barberger-Gateau P, Samieri C, Féart C, Plourde M. Dietary omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and Alzheimer's disease: interaction with apolipoprotein E genotype. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2011 Aug;8(5):479-91.
•Bégin ME, Plourde M, Pifferi F, Cunnane SC. What Is the Link between Docosahexaenoic Acid, Cognitive Impairment, and Alzheimer’s Disease in the Elderly? In: Montmayeur JP, le Coutre J, editors. SourceFat Detection: Taste, Texture, and Post Ingestive Effects. Boca Raton (FL): CRC Press; 2010. Chapter 19. Frontiers in Neuroscience.
•Bergmann C, Sano M. (2006). Cardiac risk factors and potential treatments in Alzheimer's disease. Neurol Res. 28(6):595-604.
•Kalmijn S Corder EH et al. (1993). "Gene dose of apolipoprotein E type 4 allele and the risk of Alzheimer's disease in late onset families". Science 261 (5123): 921-3.
•Corsinovi L, Biasi F, Poli G, Leonarduzzi G, Isaia G. Dietary lipids and their oxidized products in Alzheimer's disease. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2011 Sep;55 Suppl 2confused smiley161-SS172. doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201100208. Epub 2011 Aug 31.
•de Toledo Ferraz Alves TC, Ferreira LK, Wajngarten M, Busatto GF. Cardiac disorders as risk factors for Alzheimer's disease. J Alzheimers Dis. 2010;20(3):749-63. Review.
•Deschaintre Y, Richard F, Leys D, Pasquier F. Treatment of vascular risk factors is associated with slower decline in Alzheimer disease. Neurology. 2009 Sep 1;73(9):674-80.
•Devore EE, Grodstein F, van Rooij FJ, Hofman A, Rosner B, Stampfer MJ, Witteman JC, Breteler MM. Dietary intake of fish and omega-3 fatty acids in relation to long-term dementia risk. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jul;90(1):170-6. Epub 2009 May 27.
•Forette F et al. (1998). Prevention of dementia in randomised double-blind placebo-controlled Systolic Hypertension in Europe (Syst-Eur) trial. Lancet. 352(9137):1347-51.
•Frishman WH. (2002). Are antihypertensive agents protective against dementia? A review of clinical and preclinical data. Heart Dis. 4(6):380-6.
•Grammas P. Neurovascular dysfunction, inflammation and endothelial activation: implications for the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease. J Neuroinflammation. 2011 Mar 25;8:26. Review.
•Kalmijn S, Feskens EJM, Launer LJ, Kromhout D. (1996). Cerebrovascular disease, the apolipoprotein ε 4 allele, and cognitive decline in a community-based study of elderly men. Stroke. 27: 2230-5.
•Kivipelto et al. (2001). Midlife vascular risk factors and Alzheimer's disease in later life: longitudinal, population based study. BMJ. 322(7300):1447-51.
•Kivipelto et al. (2005). Obesity and vascular risk factors at midlife and the risk of dementia and Alzheimer disease. Arch Neurol. 62(10):1556-60.
•Kröger E, Verreault R, Carmichael PH, Lindsay J, Julien P, Dewailly E, Ayotte P, Laurin D. Omega-3 fatty acids and risk of dementia: the Canadian Study of Health and Aging. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jul;90(1):184-92. Epub 2009 May 27.
•Launer LJ et al. (2000). Midlife blood pressure and dementia: the Honolulu-Asia aging study. Neurobiol Aging. 21(1):49-55.
•Mielke MM et al. (2007). Vascular factors predict rate of progression in Alzheimer disease. Neurol. 69:1850-8.
•Miida T, Takahashi A, Ikeuchi T. (2007). Prevention of stroke and dementia by statin therapy: experimental and clinical evidence of their pleiotropic effects. Pharmacol Ther. 113(2):378-93.
•Musicco M, Palmer K, Salamone G, Lupo F, Perri R, Mosti S, Spalletta G, di Iulio F, Pettenati C, Cravello L, Caltagirone C. Predictors of progression of cognitive decline in Alzheimer's disease: the role of vascular and sociodemographic factors. J Neurol. 2009 Aug;256(8):1288-95. Epub 2009 Apr 8.
•Newman et al. (2005 ). Dementia and Alzheimer's disease incidence in relationship to cardiovascular disease in the Cardiovascular Health Study cohort. J Am Geriatr Soc. 53(7):1101-7.
•Notkola et al. (1998). Serum total cholesterol, apolipoprotein E epsilon 4 allele, and Alzheimer's disease. Neuroepidemiology. 17(1):14-20.
•Purnell C, Gao S, Callahan CM, Hendrie HC. Cardiovascular risk factors and incident Alzheimer disease: a systematic review of the literature. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2009 Jan-Mar;23(1):1-10. Review.
•Qiu C, Winblad B, Fratiglioni L. (2005). The age-dependent relation of blood pressure to cognitive function and dementia. Lancet Neurol. 4(8):487-99.
•Rosendorff C, Beeri MS, Silverman JM. Cardiovascular risk factors for Alzheimer's disease. Am J Geriatr Cardiol. 2007 May-Jun;16(3):143-9. Review.
•Sanz C, Andrieu S, Sinclair A, Hanaire H, Vellas B; REAL.FR Study Group. Diabetes is associated with a slower rate of cognitive decline in Alzheimer disease. Neurology. 2009 Oct 27;73(17):1359-66.
•SourceFat Detection: Taste, Texture, and Post Ingestive Effects. Boca Raton (FL): CRC Press; 2010. Chapter 19. In: Montmayeur JP, le Coutre J, editors.
•Spiteller G. The relation of lipid peroxidation processes with atherogenesis: a new theory on atherogenesis. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2005 Nov;49(11):999-1013. Review.
•Van Broeck B, Van Broeckhoven C, Kumar-Singh S. (2007). Current insights into molecular mechanisms of Alzheimer disease and their implications for therapeutic approaches. Neurodegener Dis.;4(5):349-65.
•Wolozin B, Bednar MM. (2006). Interventions for heart disease and their effects on Alzheimer's disease. Neurol Res. 2006 Sep;28(6):630-6.

William
October 19, 2011 01:21AM
Grass-finished beef has the perfect balance of omega 3 to omega 6 EFAs.

William
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login