Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Coconut Oil Adds Health Benefits

Posted by Jackie 
Coconut Oil Adds Health Benefits
February 02, 2011 09:41AM
Coconut oil adds health benefits – keeps you healthy because of monolaurin or the lauric acid content.

..." Lauric.org was established in 1997 when it was determined a need existed for undertaking clinical research that focused on the role that lauric acid and its monoglyceride derivatives play in combating lipid-coated viruses (LCVs) such as HIV virus, measles virus, herpes simplex virus-1 (HSV-1), vesicular stomatitus virus (VSV), visna virus, and cytomegalovirus (CMV).

Lipid Coated Viruses (LCVs) and Bacteria (LCBs) - Some of the microorganisms inactivated by the lauric acid monoglycerides are listed in the table below. Many of the pathogenic organisms reported to be inactivated by these antimicrobial lipids are those known to be responsible for opportunistic infections in HIV-positive individuals. For example, concurrent infection with cytomegalovirus is recognized as a serious complication for HIV+ individuals.

The properties that determine the anti-infective action of these lipids are related to their structure; e.g., monoglycerides, free fatty acids. The monoglycerides are active, diglycerides and triglycerides are inactive. Of the saturated fatty acids, lauric acid has greater antiviral activity than either caprylic acid (C-8), capric acid (C-10) or myristic acid (C-14) for these viruses.

The antiviral action attributed to monolaurin is that of solubilizing the lipids and phospholipids in the envelope of the virus causing the disintegration of the virus envelope. In effect, it is reported that the fatty acids and monoglycerides produce their killing/inactivating effect by lysing the (lipid bilayer) plasma membrane. However, there is evidence from some recent studies that one antimicrobial effect of monolaurin is related to its interference with signal transduction in cell replication.
[www.lauric.org]

Monolaurin, Gram Positive Bacteria, H. Pylori, and Candida
Research dating back 30 years first identified that the 12 carbon fatty acid2 of monolaurin was highly effective at combating gram positive bacteria and yeasts (like Candida albicans). The Candida killing ability of monolaurin3 has been established. The most research has been done on gram positive bacteria, as the compound can be used to reduce infections on poultry and help clean equipment involved in the production of food. And monolaurin is effective against many viruses. The nutrient has been in widespread use as an immune support dietary supplement for several decades.
Gram positive bacteria are those that contain a thick mesh cell wall lattice made of sugars and amino acids. Disrupting this mesh-like outer cell wall is the key to stopping them from spreading. The troubling bacteria in this category are in the families of Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, Corynebacterium, Listeria, Bacillus, and Clostridium.

Monolaurin and Viruses
Monolaurin is one of the most popular nutrients to assist in combating various viruses. It is believed to work by interacting with the lipids and phospholipids that form the envelope of the virus, causing it to weaken or disintegrate. Research suggests that monolaurin exerts some degree of immune support for the following viruses:
• Human immunodeficiency virus HIV-1, HIV+
• Measles virus
• Herpes simplex virus-1
• Herpes simplex virus-2
• Herpes viridae (all)
• Human lymphotropic viruses (type 1)
• Vesicular stomatitis virus
• Visna virus
• Cytomegalovirus
• Epstein-Barr virus
• Influenza virus
• Pneumonovirus
• Sarcoma virus
• Syncytial virus
Courtesy: Byron Richards, CCN, Wellness Resources
[www.wellnessresources.com]

Weston Price Foundation
Health Topics - Know Your Fats
One of the very useful oils in the food supply comes from the coconut. Coconut oil has suffered from unjust criticism for more than 30 years in the United States because some of the governmental and food oil organizations, as well as consumer activist organizations such as Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), have claimed that coconut oil as a "saturated fat" is shown to be atherogenic. This is not true.

There is a variety of supportive research published in 2003, 2004, and 2005, which shows the importance of coconut oil. Also, information on coconut oil is currently coming into the research literature from numerous countries, including India, Norway, Iran and the United States.

The following are some of the most recent studies showing the benefits of coconut oil. These studies contradict claims that coconut oil contributes to heart disease and also support earlier research showing an antimicrobial role for the fatty acids in this traditional fat. Continue:
[www.westonaprice.org]
Elizabeth H.
Re: Coconut Oil Adds Health Benefits
February 02, 2011 11:52AM

I am not really for or against coconut oil, but neither do I think it is the miracle food being made out to be, I would use it in moderation and continue to use olive oil, everyone has to decide for themselves.

Coconut Oil – Good, Bad or Ugly?

flickr: stephbond
As with many oils, there has been a lot of controversy surrounding coconut oil. And just as with canola oil, the big question is, ‘is coconut oil healthy?’

What exactly does coconut oil consist of?

Coconut oil is made up of around 90% saturated fat, 6% monounsaturated fat, and 2% polyunsaturated fat. Differing from other highly saturated fats however, coconut oil is mostly made up of medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs).

Why does that matter? Well, MCFAs are more easily digested and absorbed in the body than other fats, and for this reason they are often used in enteral feeding formula for critically ill patients.

Due to the MCFA makeup of coconut oil, some suggest it is therefore different from other saturated fats, and as a result it doesn’t have the same ‘unhealthy’ effects associated with regular saturated fats.

Note: You might be interested in my series on Cooking Oils which looks at olive oil, canola oil, rice bran oil, and others.

So, is coconut oil healthy?
Whether it is healthy, or a product to be avoided at all costs, appears to be a matter of great contention!

Government recommendations advise against the intake of any saturated fat. However, you will find numerous websites promoting its health benefits, saying coconut oil is good for you.

So, what should you believe? This a very difficult question, and doesn’t appear to have a clear black or white answer.

•The American Heart Association advise that individuals reduce their consumption of saturated fats, including those found in coconut oil, to less than 7% of their calorie intake.
•Similarly the WHO, and the FDA recommend the reduced consumption of saturated fat, including that from coconut oil, suggesting this will positively affect health, and reduce the prevalence of heart attacks.
•In the UK the FSA also recommend cutting back on saturated fats including that found in coconut oil, coconut cream, and palm oil.
Coconut oil, good or bad? A look at the research…
A study was carried out in Australia (2006) to look at the effect of a highly saturated fat (coconut oil), or a polyunsaturated fat (safflower oil) meal upon participants.

Researchers concluded that, “Consumption of a saturated fat reduces the anti-inflammatory potential of HDL (good cholesterol), and impairs arterial endothelial function. In contrast, the anti-inflammatory activity of HDL improves after consumption of polyunsaturated fat.”

Basically this means that coconut oil may be associated with the formation of plaques in the coronary arteries, therefore increasing the risk of heart disease.

First and foremost, the size of this study is an immediate drawback for me, and there are many who feel that the conclusions drawn by the researchers were flawed. I’m not sure. Nevertheless, I don’t think we can realistically draw definitive conclusions from a study involving merely 14 participants.

However, in the 1980s studies were conducted on the Polynesian islands, where the inhabitants had a very high intake of saturated fat. Researchers found them to be healthy, with vascular disease being uncommon.

Again, I think we need to be cautious. Can we apply such findings to our first world living? Definitely not – such findings could be attributed to their lack of a “westernised” culture, rather than their diets being “protective.”

Furthermore, more conflicting evidence with other studies suggesting that diets high in saturated fats were a strong predictor for coronary heart disease. This particular study involved 12,763 men, from seven different countries, and they found that, “Of the individual saturated fatty acids, the average population intake of lauric and myristic acid was most strongly related to the average serum cholesterol level.”

With approximately 50% of the fatty acids in coconut oil being lauric acid, doesn’t this suggest that it maybe isn’t such a healthy oil after all?

Craig Hassel writing for University of Minnesota says, “Part of the confusion rests with what you are removing from the diet when you add in coconut oil, and how much coconut oil you add. Whether coconut oil is ‘good’ or ‘bad’ for you is a function of your genetics, your current diet, your current health, how extensively you might choose to use coconut oil, and how you are living. Science has a very difficult time dealing with all of these factors, so don’t look for nutrition science to resolve the “good” vs “bad” debate anytime soon.”

So, is coconut oil bad for you?
I feel that more research is necessary to study the effects of adding coconut oil into our westernised diets, before strong claims can be made for, or against the use of coconut oil.

As with all foods, moderation is the key; personally I don’t believe coconut oil is bad per se, however I also don’t believe that it’s the miracle food it has been made out to be either!

Liz
!

February 04, 2011 10:01AM
Garry Gordon, MD,DO,MD(H) made the following comments:

KETONE bodies can be used as an alternative fuel for neurons and show benefits in Alzheimer's disease. This is an interesting take on medium chain triglycerides from coconut oil consuming; MCT oil will lead to ketone bodies circulating. Coconut oil led to 47% seeing improvement in memory score over time and slowing the rate of degradation.

Remember the Ketone diet often stops epilepsy too!

Soy bean and olive oil do not provide medium chain Triglycerides, which can be obtained from coconut oil with as little 20 gm or two tablespoons a day. This takes 3 hours or so for any effect to be seen. One patient’s memory score on testing went from 14- 18 in one day!

[articles.mercola.com]

Four Tablespoons of This "Brain Food" May Prevent Alzheimer's
Posted By Dr. Mercola | December 13 2010

Watch these videos featuring Dr. Mary Newport to learn about an amazing discovery which could potentially be a “cure” for Alzheimer’s and memory loss.

Sources: Coconut Ketones July 22, 2008

RalphL
February 08, 2011 12:53PM
In contrast,
I watched a program off the Chinese satellite that my wife gets that showed a small village in China where there is a larger than normal number of centenarians. One of the things mentioned was that they all cooked with cannabis oil. Maybe it just keeps them stress free and happy all the time. However, hemp oil, which is available in the US, is supposed to be good for you.
cheers,
Ralph.
lisa s
February 08, 2011 01:28PM
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

[www.rollitup.org]

Notice the lack of proofreading in the introductory paragraph :-) Might be the obvious downside :-(

lisa

February 09, 2011 01:11AM
Ralph - cooking (heat) with most delicate oils such as hemp destroy the important nutrients.... lots of verification for that fact in a Google search.
Perhaps the longevity comes from eating mostly vegetables...maybe some fish but little in the way of other meat for protein? ... it's well known that vegetarians enjoy longevity. And of course, maybe your observation is correct... being carefree and happy is definitely a plus! winking smiley

Jackie
Elizabeth H.
February 09, 2011 04:46AM
Jackie:

There was a health food store in our town, they were an older couple that ran it, the lady was slim and she was a vegetarian, her husband was heavy, ate some meat. She died of heart problems in her early 70s, her husband lived for quite a few years after her death, so much for vegetaqrians longevity---yes, I don't know all of her history etc., only what was obivious.

My brother also, lived on lots of raw foods most of his life, vegetables, fruits very little meat, the man is in awful shape.

This is most confusing about your statement that vegetarians enjoy longevity---I thought the paleo diet, which is popular here, isn't vegetarian only, meat is also consumed. Paleo man hunted, hunter gatherers, don't think he hunted for vegetables.

Liz
February 09, 2011 11:08AM
Liz – without getting into an anthropological theory-of-diet discussion here on trends of various cultures, it’s known that Asian cultures living mostly on fish, rice, maybe coconut, fruit and vegetables enjoy longevity…these would be primitive villages not yet exposed to ‘civilization’ and food alterations by processing, etc. brought on by Western civilization influences and practices. They use what they have, and have always have had, for hundreds of years without much change.

Similar examples of longevity exist today in cultures where civilization, as we know it, has not reached them. Some cultures known to have the greatest proportion of centenarians include….. the Vilcabambas in Ecuador, the Soviet Caucasus, the Hunzas of Pakistan, the Tibetans in northwest China, and the Titicacas in the Peruvian Andes.

Paleo eating was mostly high in seasonal plants, roots, fruit, berries, nuts, small animals and birds and the 'big' occasional kill for meat…but typically excluded grains (except for some areas with ancient, native grains) until the era of agriculture and farming began. While on the topic, it was a very low salt diet compared to potassium. Salt wasn’t commonly available.

You just have to sort out the anthropological history and then apply the knowledge as it relates today to common trends. And, of course, not to be discounted is genetic expression. You can’t do much about genetic inheritance, but you can do a lot to control or influence gene expression and that’s mainly environmental and dietary.

You can’t compare those of us currently living industrialized countries with those cultures still using primitive practices or even semi-primitive because what has happened to our evolutionary DNA cannot compare to those who have not had the influence of ‘modern man’ or 'civilization.' There are current writings on the observations of sheltered cultures which are now being impacted by modern practices noting the slow but steady erosion or decline of health and longevity.

Interesting to discuss but I’m already spread too thin with other projects.

Jackie
GeorgeN
February 09, 2011 10:26PM
Liz,

What passes for a veg diet can have wide variation.

"My brother also, lived on lots of raw foods most of his life, vegetables, fruits very little meat, the man is in awful shape."

Obviously we need protein - even if only from veg sources. I have a friend who is pushing herself towards a ketogenic diet, as a vegetarian. It is work for her to make sure she gets enough protein. She monitors her ectopic beat count with a recording heart rate monitor. A non-diabetic, she also monitors fasting blood glucose and 45 minutes after meals. She attempts to keep those values between 60-85 mg/dl. When she sticks to it, her plan does minimize ectopics. Probably because it minimizes insulin and blood sugar spikes (and the consequences to the K/Na relationship and also cellular magnesium). She is sensitive to magnesium intake and if she deviates from her program, she requires more supplemental magnesium. In fact, in her case, minimizing ectopics requires both supplemental mag and dietary control of insulin and blood glucose.

The interesting part about coconut oil are the references on the liver creating ketones from medium chain triglycerides. The more I've looked into it, ketones are a superior fuel for the body. Veech, one of the authors in this paper, is a researcher at the NIH:
<[www.coconutketones.com] 2003.pdf>

More references:
[www.coconutketones.com]

I now design my diet to be in mild ketosis most of the time.

Cheers,

George
RalphL
February 10, 2011 12:33PM
Hi Lisa S.,
Great recipe but I was a little confused as to which pot they kept referring to.
lisa s
February 10, 2011 01:05PM
Ralph,

From Jackie "cooking (heat) with most delicate oils such as hemp destroy the important nutrients....", and according to the author of the recipe, "If you let it boil over the oil will turn black and it will taste like crap."

lisa

Elizabeth H.
February 10, 2011 01:51PM
George:

My brother never took any supplements, I guess he thought his diet was great. I really don't believe in a vegatrian diet, you have to know what you are doing, I think a lot of people do the diet because they believe it to be healthy for them.

I have known a few vegatrians and they don't appear healthy to me, some are overweight, they probably eat too many carbs.

Oh well, we can't live forever, just as long as you can feel good on what you are doing. Sometimes it seems we are so picky about what we eat when so many in the world have so little.

L
Elizabeth H.
February 18, 2011 01:52PM
Jackie have you heard of Dr. Frank Shallenberger? I got a flyer from him, he has a newsletter, but what caught my eye was a little article about coconut oil for alzheimers, which you spoke to in your post, so I give some credence, I think I will subscribe to his newsletter as he speaks about a lot of conditions.

Liz
GeorgeN
February 19, 2011 03:58PM
Liz,

Here are some presentations from Dr. Newport about ketones & Alzheimer's

[www.coconutketones.com]
[www.coconutketones.com]
A youtube interview with Dr. Newport & her husband with Alzheimer's
[www.youtube.com]

Other papers:
[www.coconutketones.com]

Personally, if I had Alzheimer's, MS, Parkinson's or any neurological illness, I'd be trying medium chain triglycerides. I don't see a downside.

George
Emmie
March 08, 2011 02:23PM
Coconut oil - love it! Great taste, great for cooking and as a spread - only the extra virgin stuff, though.
Used it for ages while I had a ****but too expensive on a pension.
Yes, George - I agree!
Emmie
Re: Coconut Oil
August 02, 2013 10:31AM
Does anyone know if coconut oil absorbs like magnesium oil? Or do you have to eat it to get the health benefits. I've been using it as body lotion.

Louise
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login