<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rss version="2.0" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
    <channel>
        <title>sleep apnea and afib</title>
        <description> Right now I am in persistent a fib. I have had insomnia for years. Many nights I will be awake for several hours in the middle of the night. My hospital sleep apnea test showed I had mild sleep apnea. (10.5) Most of the times when I have gone into a fib it has been either when I am getting up we’re going to sleep or in the middle of the night when I am awake. I rarely wake up in a fib￼. Anyway I have a sleep doc appointment today. I have had this  cpap machine sitting here and I will either have to restart compliance or turn it in.  I can’t see myself ever getting it to work and have only tried it during the day hours.  I don’t know if my afib is really tied to the apnea and my insomnia I think is something else all together.   But I wondered if anyone here had reduced their afib burden with cpap treatment... or with a dental appliance.   

(ps I am working with EPs on the afib- had ablation scheduled 2 weeks ago but canceled because of the disappearing clot on a TEE..  in limbo at moment so just looking to see any apnea tie in people have experienced.)</description>
        <link>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183073#msg-183073</link>
        <lastBuildDate>Mon, 28 Sep 2026 22:46:02 +0000</lastBuildDate>
        <generator>Phorum 5.2.23</generator>
        <item>
            <guid>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183100#msg-183100</guid>
            <title>Re: sleep apnea and afib</title>
            <link>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183100#msg-183100</link>
            <description><![CDATA[ Well- last night I wore it for about 30 min before bed.  Putzed around.. then put it on for bed.  I have to get 4 hours a day.  I looked when I woke and it was 3 hours and 34 m in. .. I hoped I would fall back asleep and I did!!  Yippee!!  got to 4 hours 10 min and ripped it off. that is a win in my book!  I can&#039;t say I slept better with it when I had it on though.  but I was able to sleep on my side which I prefer]]></description>
            <dc:creator>bettylou4488</dc:creator>
            <category>AFIBBERS FORUM</category>
            <pubDate>Fri, 05 Nov 2021 15:56:37 +0000</pubDate>
        </item>
        <item>
            <guid>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183095#msg-183095</guid>
            <title>Re: sleep apnea and afib</title>
            <link>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183095#msg-183095</link>
            <description><![CDATA[ Thanks bobsbeat.   I wore it for about 90 min yesterday awake.  Then tried for 45 min to fall asleep last night- actually longer I think b/c I gave up, went and had a snack and tried again.  No go.. was 130 am when I gave up.  I will keep trying until my time has run out for the trial.  I do have an appointment for a dental appliance on the 22nd.   I might try that... if I can&#039;t get this to work.]]></description>
            <dc:creator>bettylou4488</dc:creator>
            <category>AFIBBERS FORUM</category>
            <pubDate>Fri, 05 Nov 2021 01:40:11 +0000</pubDate>
        </item>
        <item>
            <guid>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183091#msg-183091</guid>
            <title>Re: sleep apnea and afib</title>
            <link>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183091#msg-183091</link>
            <description><![CDATA[ I was surprised when I got diagnosed with sleep apnea in early September with a low moderate AHI of 18.  I typically am not a big snorer and also not a mouth breather, however the sleep study showed positive.  I&#039;ve been off Amiodarone for about two months and not on any other rhythm or rate control.  I do have Flec for PIP use but have not had a need to use it yet.  I&#039;ve been using CPAP for about 6 weeks and have not gone into AFib.  My events were always middle of the night.  Last July I did go into AFib (while still on Amio) after a couple bad weeks of ectopics.  Since then I&#039;ve been on the standard supplements talked about on here.  <br />
<br />
The difference since my AFib episode last July are the supplements I&#039;m taking and the CPAP.  I think both are probably helping, but given that I failed the sleep apnea study, the CPAP may be most directly related to reducing the AFib.  My Pulmonologist showed me areas during the study where I had an AHI and my spo2 was lowered and my heart rate spiked up to compensate.  That would be a direct example of how AFib can be triggered.  He also said alcohol would triple the sleep apnea effect.]]></description>
            <dc:creator>BobsBeat</dc:creator>
            <category>AFIBBERS FORUM</category>
            <pubDate>Thu, 04 Nov 2021 15:22:00 +0000</pubDate>
        </item>
        <item>
            <guid>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183083#msg-183083</guid>
            <title>Re: sleep apnea and afib</title>
            <link>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183083#msg-183083</link>
            <description><![CDATA[ Thanks ya&#039;ll you have encouraged me to keep trying.  I actually just had it on for half an hour while I read a book.  (which was a little difficult since I wear glasses LOL! ). I had the sleep PA appointment and she was encouraging as well. I might have to do a secondary trial because I&#039;m running out of time.  But might as well give it a go]]></description>
            <dc:creator>bettylou4488</dc:creator>
            <category>AFIBBERS FORUM</category>
            <pubDate>Wed, 03 Nov 2021 23:22:57 +0000</pubDate>
        </item>
        <item>
            <guid>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183082#msg-183082</guid>
            <title>Re: sleep apnea and afib</title>
            <link>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183082#msg-183082</link>
            <description><![CDATA[ <blockquote class="bbcode"><div><small>Quote<br /></small><strong>bettylou4488</strong><br />
<br />
<br />
Thanks. I think I will try again to get used to it.  appointment in 15 min to discuss that option with the PA.  Curious did you have insomnia as well or &quot;just&quot; apnea?  (not that apnea is a &quot;just&quot; condition).  Do you mind saying if yours was mild, mod or severe? just curious...  mine is mild ..</div></blockquote>
<br />
My AHI test score was 11.9 so it was mild. But i really think they tested me on a good night as most other nights seemed much worse. I did not have insomnia but would always wake up in a sweat.]]></description>
            <dc:creator>JDfiB</dc:creator>
            <category>AFIBBERS FORUM</category>
            <pubDate>Wed, 03 Nov 2021 22:19:13 +0000</pubDate>
        </item>
        <item>
            <guid>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183080#msg-183080</guid>
            <title>Re: sleep apnea and afib</title>
            <link>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183080#msg-183080</link>
            <description><![CDATA[ I had severe OSA for years, probably through the last 8-10 years of my military career.  Even back then my family bugged me to have a sleep study done and my standard reply was that if I&#039;d wanted to wear a face mask I&#039;d have been a fighter pilot.  When my afib/flutter went persistent in 2016 I finally had a study done and the technician doing the study was amazed at how bad it was, stopping breathing more than 60X/hr.  I got a BiPAP machine and, yes, it was a PITA to learn to use, but once I did so, took about a week, have used it regularly, every single night since. Dr. Natale told me sleep apnea was a big contributor to afib and I had my machine with me in Austin for both ablations.  The machine has its own dedicated saddlebag on my motorcycle when I&#039;m touring our beautiful country.  Best of all, even out of NSR now I still get the best sleep of my life.  I was a bloody fool to fight having a sleep study for all the years I did so.]]></description>
            <dc:creator>JayBros</dc:creator>
            <category>AFIBBERS FORUM</category>
            <pubDate>Wed, 03 Nov 2021 15:01:38 +0000</pubDate>
        </item>
        <item>
            <guid>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183079#msg-183079</guid>
            <title>Re: sleep apnea and afib</title>
            <link>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183079#msg-183079</link>
            <description><![CDATA[ <blockquote class="bbcode"><div><small>Quote<br /></small><strong>bettylou4488</strong><br />
  Ok you have me on a mission to try the mouth tape tonight.</div></blockquote>
<br />
I&#039;d start by wearing it some during the day to get used to it.  If you aren&#039;t used to breathing through your nose, that is something you can adjust to, but may be easier when you aren&#039;t trying to go to sleep.]]></description>
            <dc:creator>GeorgeN</dc:creator>
            <category>AFIBBERS FORUM</category>
            <pubDate>Wed, 03 Nov 2021 14:55:15 +0000</pubDate>
        </item>
        <item>
            <guid>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183077#msg-183077</guid>
            <title>Re: sleep apnea and afib</title>
            <link>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183077#msg-183077</link>
            <description><![CDATA[ <blockquote class="bbcode"><div><small>Quote<br /></small><strong>JDfiB</strong><br />
Everyone is different, but here is my experience as of now. I began using a CPAP in August 2018. at that time I was having an AFIB event every 3 weeks. As of now, this past year I have had one 2 hour episode 8 months ago. I haven&#039;t missed a day of using the CPAP. I think in my case it has contributed to a better situation regarding AFIB . It is probably not the only factor but I believe it has helped. Also, It is not a quick fix.</div></blockquote>
<br />
Thanks. I think I will try again to get used to it.  appointment in 15 min to discuss that option with the PA.  Curious did you have insomnia as well or &quot;just&quot; apnea?  (not that apnea is a &quot;just&quot; condition).  Do you mind saying if yours was mild, mod or severe? just curious...  mine is mild ..]]></description>
            <dc:creator>bettylou4488</dc:creator>
            <category>AFIBBERS FORUM</category>
            <pubDate>Wed, 03 Nov 2021 14:14:21 +0000</pubDate>
        </item>
        <item>
            <guid>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183076#msg-183076</guid>
            <title>Re: sleep apnea and afib</title>
            <link>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183076#msg-183076</link>
            <description><![CDATA[ Everyone is different, but here is my experience as of now. I began using a CPAP in August 2018. at that time I was having an AFIB event every 3 weeks. As of now, this past year I have had one 2 hour episode 8 months ago. I haven&#039;t missed a day of using the CPAP. I think in my case it has contributed to a better situation regarding AFIB . It is probably not the only factor but I believe it has helped. Also, It is not a quick fix.]]></description>
            <dc:creator>JDfiB</dc:creator>
            <category>AFIBBERS FORUM</category>
            <pubDate>Wed, 03 Nov 2021 14:08:06 +0000</pubDate>
        </item>
        <item>
            <guid>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183075#msg-183075</guid>
            <title>Re: sleep apnea and afib</title>
            <link>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183075#msg-183075</link>
            <description><![CDATA[ Thanks George.  I have mouth tape here- it freaks me out a bit.  but I am going to try it.  I mean I would do the c-pap and power thru but I can&#039;t seem to get past doing it for around 30 min when awake. I have tried going to sleep with it.  Ok you have me on a mission to try the mouth tape tonight.  (And maybe I&#039;ll do another compliance run with the cpap since I have it.. I know they can be hard to get right now with the chip issue.)]]></description>
            <dc:creator>bettylou4488</dc:creator>
            <category>AFIBBERS FORUM</category>
            <pubDate>Wed, 03 Nov 2021 13:53:14 +0000</pubDate>
        </item>
        <item>
            <guid>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183074#msg-183074</guid>
            <title>Re: sleep apnea and afib</title>
            <link>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183074#msg-183074</link>
            <description><![CDATA[ I can&#039;t say I&#039;ve helped my pretty good afib control, but apnea can have a lot of negative health consequences.  <br />
<br />
In this post, I have before and after taping my mouth during sleep of beat to beat heart rate.  [<a href="https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,177299,177494#msg-177494"  rel="nofollow">www.afibbers.org</a>]   This is the whole thread on this discussion [<a href="https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,177299,page=1"  rel="nofollow">www.afibbers.org</a>]<br />
<br />
I sometimes monitor my beat to beat heart rate overnight with a Polar H10 chest strap and a phone app that records the data and can download to my computer for  future analysis.  In this <a href="https://www.slideserve.com/kamala/using-holter-ecg-and-heart-rate-variability-to-detect-sleep-disordered-breathing"  rel="nofollow">presentation</a>, they&#039;d recorded an ECG overnight and converted the data to a &quot;tachogram.&quot;  I get the same tachogram data  from my app/chest strap.  I observed I had the apnea pattern in my data.  In the <a href="https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,177299,177494#msg-177494"  rel="nofollow">linked</a> post I&#039;d gone to sleep without mouth tape while recording.  Then I woke up with a dry mouth and taped up and went back to sleep.  You can see the huge difference in heart rate variability with and without mouth tape.  A few people here have PM&#039;d me to say mouth taping has made a big difference in their sleep.]]></description>
            <dc:creator>GeorgeN</dc:creator>
            <category>AFIBBERS FORUM</category>
            <pubDate>Wed, 03 Nov 2021 13:30:58 +0000</pubDate>
        </item>
        <item>
            <guid>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183073#msg-183073</guid>
            <title>sleep apnea and afib</title>
            <link>https://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?9,183073,183073#msg-183073</link>
            <description><![CDATA[ Right now I am in persistent a fib. I have had insomnia for years. Many nights I will be awake for several hours in the middle of the night. My hospital sleep apnea test showed I had mild sleep apnea. (10.5) Most of the times when I have gone into a fib it has been either when I am getting up we’re going to sleep or in the middle of the night when I am awake. I rarely wake up in a fib￼. Anyway I have a sleep doc appointment today. I have had this  cpap machine sitting here and I will either have to restart compliance or turn it in.  I can’t see myself ever getting it to work and have only tried it during the day hours.  I don’t know if my afib is really tied to the apnea and my insomnia I think is something else all together.   But I wondered if anyone here had reduced their afib burden with cpap treatment... or with a dental appliance.   <br />
<br />
(ps I am working with EPs on the afib- had ablation scheduled 2 weeks ago but canceled because of the disappearing clot on a TEE..  in limbo at moment so just looking to see any apnea tie in people have experienced.)]]></description>
            <dc:creator>bettylou4488</dc:creator>
            <category>AFIBBERS FORUM</category>
            <pubDate>Wed, 03 Nov 2021 11:52:40 +0000</pubDate>
        </item>
    </channel>
</rss>
