Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sulfites

Posted by Mike s, 
Mike s,
Sulfites
February 21, 2009 02:35PM
Mike had lots of trouble with sulfites back in the days that restaurants used it liberallly on their salads. I remember many nights that he spend in the bathroom getting rid of the sulfites after dinner out. I'm wondering if sulfites could have a connection to his recently acquired a-fib. Doing the research I came to realize that we recently have been drinking more red wine, eating lots of grapes, and eat lots of dried fruits. I've also read somewhere that people sensitive to sulfites are often sensitive to MSG. If you have a reaction to these food additives would it be soon after, or could it be the next day?

Going to the grocery today was a lesson in frustration. I attempted to avoid gluten, sulfites, nitrites, MSG, etc........ What's left to eat?. I even read someplace that the antibiotics fed to chickens can cause us problems when we eat chickens and eggs. This isn't easy!

Debbie (wife of Mike S.)
Cyndie
Re: Sulfites
February 21, 2009 03:41PM
Debbie
I changed my diet in July trying to reverse my afib. Essentially, no processed food. Just meat (organic and no added antibiotics whenever possible), fresh vegetables and fresh fruit. I get almonds at Costco that have no additives, I roast them and then grind them in food processor to make almond butter. You get creative over time and your taste buds change. Be patient. It gets easier over time and is healthier for every one in the family. I also dropped all the white stuff but do occasionally eat sweet potatoe and brown rice. Once a week I treat myself with pancakes and bacon for breakfast.
Wishing you the best.
Cyndie
kate
February 23, 2009 11:05AM
Hi Debbie

Sulfites (sulphur dioxide) bring on my afib within about ten minutes. Just one piece of dried fruit treated with sulphur dioxide, or a few sips of wine containing sulfites and my afib leaps into action.

I now avoid all sources of sulfites and sulphur dioxide, once you get used to reading labels it is really easy.

I no longer have afib and no longer take medication and I cancelled my ablation which was scheduled for March last year.

I also avoid disodium 5 ribonucleotide, I find that makes my heart go into afib also.

Apart from this, my diet is completely "normal" as in normal for society today.

Kate
Mike S
February 25, 2009 06:56AM
Kate,

Thanks so much for your response. Mike eats lots of dried fruit and nuts. The label doesn't say that it has sulfites but I have read that they don't have to list it unless it has a certain amount. I'm thinking that gluten and sulfites may be his biggest food triggers. Stress, is probably his biggest overall trigger. I can't get him to relax. Ever since this started ( about a month ago) I often notice that his fist are clenched or his shoulder's tightened up. This is not characteristic for him. He is usually able to "roll with the punches".

Mike has always turned red in the face when he has just one glass of wine. Do you think this could be a reaction to sulfites? I'm thinking that he was probably always sensitive to sulfites and gluten but it took some big life stressors to put him over the top. He has developed silent reflux also and I think this is all related. He is having lots of episodes of AF and I think the stress of dealing with this helps to trigger the next espisode.

This man is the love of my life so I really appreciate all the help that we have been getting on this board. I just want to see him be his old self again. I miss that.

Debbie (wife of Mike S.)
kate
February 26, 2009 11:47PM
It is possible to find sulfite-free wine and dried food unless it is organic (and thus not a good colour) will have been sprayed with sulphur dioxide to preserve it.

I can't eat so much as one piece of dried fruit unless it is organic and sulfite/sulphur dioxide free.

Be very diligent in what he is eating, just a tiny tiny amount, almost like a peanut allergy, will set him off IF sulfites/sulphur dioxide is a problem for him.

Yes, MSG is also a big trigger, I avoid that like the plague as well.

One of the things we do not appreciate in life today is just how much garbage, in the sense of preservatives and colourings etc. are put into our food. A jelly sweet will also frequently contain sulfites. Here in the EU it is now law that sulfites/sulphur dioxide are named on the packet (although they cheat and use incredibly tiny print) as either "Alllergy advice" or "Sensitivity advice." Thus proving they (they being the authorities) know very well it is a dangerous food additive for many of the population.

Kate
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login