Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Scared to sleep

Posted by Dawn 
Dawn
Scared to sleep
October 24, 2003 12:23PM
Hello everyone,
Over the last month, I've been diagnosed with LAF. I had 2 brief episodes in the last 8 months that lasted 30 minutes or less. A month ago (9/16), I awoke to go to the bathroom, and had the worst event I'd yet to experience. I was in Afib for 4 and a half hours. Nothing they did would get my heart rate to return to normal. I was hospitalized for 2 days, sent to a cardiologist and a electrophysiology cardiologist, and put on Amiodarone with a possible diagnosis of Vagal Mediated LAF.

I've just gotten out of the hospital for the second time (10/17) where I spent 2 days in ICU, and another week in the cardiac unit for Bradycardia (BPM 38-40) at rest (hypersenstivity to the Amio).

I'm going for a sleep study (to rule out sleep apnea), am currently taking Rythmol (450 mg a day), and the only option the EPC gave me was surgery which he claims to be my only option.

I'm a 37 year old female and he said that trying to control with medication at my age was unreasonable, and not recommended since I've displayed such a low tolerance.

I'm am currently PETRIFIED to sleep. I'm only to take the last dose of Rythmol at bedtime if my heartrate is over 50 BPM. If not, I am not supposed to take it. Since I have such an intolerance for the anti-arrythmia drugs, I run a higher risk to revert back to Afib. (I don't know which is more frightening)

In AFib, (BPM 160-180).
The medications make me feel horrible, constantly having waves of dizziness, bradycardia, nausea, numbiness, chest tightening. I'm trying to return to work Monday (I'm an accountant, but the driving to and work will be frightening.)

Other than taking an anti anxiety drug before bedtime (recently given by doctor to try to help me sleep) maybe someone who's experienced this for some time could give me advice, or at least chase away my fear of dying from this new development in my health.

Please note, otherwise, I'm in good health. No high blood pressure, no high cholesterol, clear lungs, negative stress test.

Thank you very much for your time and for those of you that have lived with this much longer then my mere 8 months, I certainly could use a bit of your personal strength.
J. Pisano
Re: Scared to sleep
October 24, 2003 01:30PM
Dawn,
I can relate to your story. When I was first diagnosed I felt the same way as you, scared, worried, anxious, tired, etc.... The first thing I can tell you that may help is this, altrial-fib is not a terminal illness. It is a definite scary experience but it is not something people die from. It is more than anything an annoyance in lifestyle. Many people on here have your exact symptoms.... Almost everyone I know with PLAF, will revert to normal by themselves if they have an episode. Your duration is 3-4 hours may no doubt seem long to you, but is just a drop in the bucket for many of us.

I am not really versed in bradycardia as it pertains to afib, although I have seen postings on it, no doubt someone can help with this, and I do know that certain drugs cause this, If you do have VLAF, then you might do well to talk to others with your problem of bradycardia, I do know from reading the research, that no drug makes any claim to help people specifically with VLAF and many are contraindicated..... and you can always ask for a different one. Toprol had a bradycardi effect on me, I don't use it anymore.... (I do have rhytmol for on demand use, but haven't used it yet, other than to try it to make sure I didn't have a reaction...) I choose not to use any drug, because of the effects they have on me, more drastic than when I'm not on any, with a healthy diet and nutrition base. But, you should certaily consult with your Dr. about this, before making any informed decesion. I had to fire my doctor of years, because she just didn't have the knowledge to deal with this and I found one who did. Most people on this site are taking charge of their own future through the avancement of their own knowledge on this subject...If you don't take the interest in your own health who will?

My episodes usually last from 8-18 hours, and I convert on my own. Being in the ER was more scary for me than holding out at home, but that kind of security will only come with time. Typically people who are in afib for less than 24-36 hours have little change of blood clotting in the atrium, which is perhaps the most threatining thing that can happen with this condition. When you are in afib, try relaxing, realize that you are at the end of a cycle, which will result in normal sinus rhythm at some point. To tell you the truth, I am happy when I am in afib than the hours before it because I know I'm coming out soon.......although nothing beats NSR!

The good news is that you don't seem to heart disease! Praise God! This would be a very concerning factor.... You can be at least somewhat reassured by it. Now le't take the time to look at your life, stress, health, diet, nutrition. Almost all people who are active on this site believe that proper nutrition certainly benefits them, I am one of them. Read the posts, look at your own diet, is it low in magnesium, calcium, how about sodium, copper, zinc? Do you have digestive problems, how about enzymes.... This site is a living breathing tome of wisdom, from people just like you.

Perhaps fear is our greatest enemy. Perhaps you are thinking about heart attack or some other problem. Spend the time to relax yourself by learning the tell tell signs of that, so you can reassure yourself that you are not having one, just another arrythmia related to afib. Many people live most of their lives in afib..... and do well.

There are so many people on this site who are helpful and friendly, you are in good company! I'll keep you in prayer tonight.

All my best,
Joe
njb
October 24, 2003 02:04PM
Dawn-- I too would start to get a wild heart just as I was relaxing into sleep. I have been trying to get rid of it for 4 and 1/2 years now. I think it may be licked with the help of some good doctors at Cleveland Clinic and many other doctors in the area. I just had my 4th ablation. Even if the afib can't be stopped, I understand that betablockers & or diltiazem will slow down the rate. And then the only other critical factor would be anticoagulation to prevent a stroke from blood clot. This is usually done with Coumadin. BUT I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR EVEN A NURSE!!
So you can take this with a grain of salt.

Hang in there.

njb
J. Pisano
October 25, 2003 05:59AM
Dawn,
How are you doing?

Joe
Richard
October 25, 2003 06:25AM
Joe,

What a great post you wrote to Dawn. It couldn't have been said any better. I hope she comes back, and responds. We would like to know how your diet is, Dawn? We're all here to help each other.

Richard
Allie
October 25, 2003 07:24AM
Hi Dawn,
What is your E-mail Address??? Tried to send you something and it would not work
Dawn
October 27, 2003 11:43AM
Hi Everyone,
Today I returned to work. My email address is dawnmoreno@yahoo.com.
I have a GP visit on the 4th of November, and I go back to the EPC the first week of December.
I am taking the Rythmol three times daily, there has been only one night that I felt my heartrate was a little too low to handle the evening dose.
I'm having short lived episodes, and I wouldn't call them Afib, I can definately feel my heart is not quite in rythym, but it's not running wild. It's an uncomfortable feeling, and I'm trying to just learn to live with it for the time being.
I'm not sure I've reached a comfort level to avoid the ER in the case I have a full blown episode. I've been there too many times in the last 2 months than ever in my whole life.
I'm tired and frustrated with tests, tests, and more tests. I've never been one to take a lot of mediations, and now I have this rythmol, a cholestrol medication (I don't have high cholestrol, but the GP wants me to take it as a preventive medication... no sense is trying to deal with that with my current condition.)
I didn't take the Xanax last night before bed, and I hardly slept a wink. I'm finding out that even if I do nod off, I'm not letting myself fall into a deep sleep. I'm not entirely sure I'll ever sleep well again.
I know it's not life threatening (and I appreciate hearing that)... but I'm sure you don't have to tell any of you how terrifying those AFIB episodes are.
My diet lacks fresh fruits and vegetables, I usually don't eat breakfast, a tuna/chicken salad/or ham and cheese for lunch (usually tuna salad). I usually have a meat (chicken/beef/pork) for dinner with a starch (potato, pasta or rice) and a vegetable. I drink at least 8 glasses of water each day, no more than 2 cups of coffee.
I'm definately going to keep in touch with the board, and keep you up to date on any new developments. The EPC I went to, is pushing for the surgery, he didn't specify which one, but said it was a new procedure and that I was a good candidate. Of course I won't move forward until I've explored all options.
Thank you again everyone,

Dawn
Tom R.
October 28, 2003 03:53AM
Dawn,

I just had my first bout with this. I too still am having some funny flutters, but nothing like the afib. I do worry that it will come back soon, but from what others have posted, it is more of a worry than a real threat (especially when your heart is otherwise fine).

Mine was brought on by a combination of heavy stress (looking for work), lack of sleep, coffee, nicotene, and i think the trigger was an ICE COLD SLUSH! Not kidding you. I got the brain freeze and then the next thing I know I am in the ER. You will see some people who talk about really cold drinks bringing on an attack.

I have also had strange feelings just before sleep. It is as if my heart stops for a second an it wakes me back up in fright. Sometimes I just pass out I am so tiered. I just came off a terrible withdrawl from the anti depressant effexor and i think this just increased my addrenelin and my overall stress (feeling like i am going to burst). I don't want to go back on it becasue I think it takes a chunk of my personality away not to mention sex drive, etc.

Maybe take some Xanex, valium, or other benzo during the day (like at work). I would just say be careful with the tranqs because they are easy to get hooked on and come with there own really nasty withdrawl. God Bless and take care. Remember, in your case, you have had all the tests and you sound like you are in great shape. I am not in the best shape, but I have had a treadmill and a echo. Had a few PVC's, but nothing to go into afib about... The truth is that even athelets with slow HR get this on occasion and it is NOT life threatening in the absence of cardiac disease. Trust me, I have been going through anxiety and palpitaions for over 15 years - learn to deal with the fear first, TRUST the doctors - remind yourself that you might feel very unique right now, but this happens to a lot of people prone to stress and chemicals and it will not kill you!! uh..uh.....uhhhhhhhhh...duh..d.d...WTHF....call 911.........Just kidding.

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login