Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fish oil and things

Posted by Chris H 
Chris H
Fish oil and things
October 24, 2003 03:55AM
Greetings

I have been a happy shopper and found various items and sites, which might be of some use.
Tesco’s (UK based supermarket chain) have a web site with a link to www.nutricentre.com. This site has Solgar supplements including, Mike, chelated magnesium (equivalent to glycinate). Also Eskimo –3 fish oils.

Prompted and taking Jackie’s advice, investigation of fish oil revealed;
Safe Limits Of Fish Oils Exceeded?
Many fish oil products on the market in the UK are likely to exceed new European Union safety limits for pollutants, due to be imposed in July. A study by the Food Safety Authority of Ireland found that only one-third of the brands marketed there fall within the limits, which define levels of dioxins permitted in fish oils and fish oil capsules. One brand, Solgar Norwegian Cod Liver Oil, has dioxin levels five times greater than the EU limits. The best performing was Eskimo-3 Stable Fish Oil Supplement, which is well within the limit and also contains low levels of PCBs, a related chemical. Many of the same brands are on sale in the UK.
The Times

I like the lemon flavoured Eskimo oil supplement, as it will probably be more economic
On the subject of Magnesium ,Tesco also stock Badoit bottle mineral water composition (mg/L)
Calcium 190 Sodium 150 Magnesium 85 Potassium 10 Bicarbonates 1300 Chlorides 40 Sulphates 40 Fluoride 1 Silica 35
Whilst rummaging around the shelves in Germany recently looking for magnesium I found Taxofit
Which is a fizzy water-soluble tablet containing 350mg mag. If any of you good people can read German (website is www.taxofit.de ) is this a good way of getting bio available magnesium, also is this type of magnesium any good? I could always make Waller water- god knows what my wife would say she has not said anything yet to the supplements building up in the kitchen but I get the very same strange look when she sees me dropping pills as when I about to do something completely batty. Philistine!!

On this subject of bioavailability of C0-Q10 (Thanks to Erling for his advice) yes I think the Tishcon Q-gel make is probably the best however the cost is prohibitive. I think as long as the CO-Q10 is suspended in a capsule containing Rice Bran oil then the majority will be absorbed, as opposed to powder. I’m no chemist but if I take more of a very much cheaper capsule then overall absorption will be the same.
Wales against Italy Rugby tomorrow Uggy Uggy Uggy!!

Chris H
David S
Re: Fish oil and things
October 24, 2003 07:53AM
Chris,

Go to www.google.com/language_tools? to translate, David S
October 24, 2003 09:39AM
Chris - I loved your comment about supplements building up in the kitchen.... I have a storage cabinet loaded, plus one kitchen drawer and about a 2' by 2' square on the counter. My friends no longer make comments, but I know they think I've gone off the deep end.

There is a lot of concern about fish oil contaminants. Yesterday, here in the US (Cleveland Ohio area) the local paper printed a lengthy article about the glut on the American market of imported fish and the fact that much of it is contaminated with chemicals and pesticides not allowed for use here. They said that 75% of our fish is now imported and much of it is farm-raised. Big problem with unhealthy food source - fish farms.

I asked at the market today which fish were not farm raised and out of a whole counter about 10 feet long of fish only half a dozen were wild fish.

Dr. Mercola keeps saying to get your Omega 3's from safe fish oil supplements and stop relying on safe fish. Here we have little in watch-dog or screening of fish.

Sad commentary on our food supply.

Jackie
David S
October 24, 2003 03:26PM
Hi Chris,

This help?

From the www.taxofit.de web page, David S

Mg. 350

 sind ideal für die ausreichende Magnesiumversorgung bei Streßbelastung und im Sport
 stark für Muskeln und Nerven
 1 Brausetablette mit 350 mg Magnesium deckt den Tagesbedarf (gem. Empfehlung der deutschen Gesellschaft für Ernährung)
 lösen sich schnell zu einem wohlschmeckenden und erfrischenden Getränk auf
 ohne Zucker, Gluten, Lactose

Mg. 300

 bei Stressbelastung und im Sport
 mit 300 mg Magnesium stark für Muskeln und Nerven
 1 Dragee deckt den Tagesbedarf an Magnesium (gem. Empfehlung der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Ernährung)
 Ohne Gluten und Lactose

Mg. 150

 dienen der ausreichenden Magnesiumversorgung bei Streßbelastung und im Sport
 sind praktisch auch für unterwegs
 stark für Nerven und Muskeln
 sind mit 150 mg Magnesium pro Kautablette bedarfsgerecht dosierbar
 Ohne Gluten, Lactose

Mg. 350? are ideal for the sufficient magnesium supply during stress load and in the sport? strongly for muscles and nerves? 1 shower tablet with 350 mg magnesium covers the daily requirement (in accordance with recommendation of the German society for nutrition)? dissolve fast to a good-tasting and erfrischenden beverage? without sugar, glows, lactose mg

300? during stress load and in the sport? with 300 mg magnesium strongly for muscles and nerves? 1 dragee covers the daily requirement at magnesium (in accordance with recommendation of the German society for nutrition)? Without glows and lactose mg

150? serve the sufficient magnesium supply during stress load and in the sport? are practically also for on the way? strongly for nerves and muscles? are to be dosed meeting demand with 150 mg magnesium per chewing tablet? Without glows, lactose
Carol
October 25, 2003 02:36AM

Jackie , Whole Foods company (Bread and Circus here in the Northeast) raises salmon on their own private, fish farms. They state that strict control of the quality of the feed and health of the fish is always maintained on their farms.

They have a lot at stake if it turned out that this is not true.

Chris - thanks very much for the alert on fish oil contamination.
I am very concerned to hear that Solgar's Norwegian fish oil is not acceptable. I used to take Eskimo brand and switched over to Solgar recently. (I wonder if that contributed to the recent return of afib which I posted above??) Now will have to search for Eskimo again.

Carol
Fran
October 25, 2003 03:38AM
Carol

This is what the fishfarms that surround me say. We even have an 'organic fish farm'!! I know people who work on them, I have seen the mutant fish that scavenge underneath, and the mutant salmon before they killed off. I see the adverts for casual labour when antibiotic injection time comes round (each fish is individually injected, as well as top ups added to their food - ever heard of friendly mass antibiotics), egg stripping and egg disinfecting!!? and culling time for diseased fish and then table fish. I have seen what colour their food turns turkeys and I have seen that sea weed and some shell fish no longer grow on the shores near the pens.

I would trust none of it

Fran
Katy
October 26, 2003 10:41AM
Fran,

That is a very sad state of affairs. Is there no fish that is safe for us in the US anymore? I'm on the east coast now, but was raised in Seattle, with easy access to fresh Salmon. I very much miss those days!

Katy
Chris H
October 27, 2003 02:30AM
Many thanks David

But is this form or way of taking it any better than the Chelated Mag,
anyone know?
Fran
October 27, 2003 07:30AM
I'm sure there must be some safe fish. Go for wild fish caught at sea - what about freshwater fish? IT seems that the mercury scare on fish is being taken back. I can't remember the exact details - but the mercury in fish is not the toxic sort they first thought. The development came about with new testing techniques. The old way partially destroyed the type of mercury they were testing for so they 'assumed' it was the bad one. The new technique doesn't have to break the mercury down and it they found it was joined to another safe atom which means it is safe. It was on Dr Mecolas hot blog this week I think.

Still PCB's etc, but what food is pure these days. I still maintain the goodness in wild fish outweighs the pollution in our waters and are far healthier than intensively farmed meat or fish.

Just my take

Fran
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login