Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tinnitus

Posted by J. Pisano 
J. Pisano
Tinnitus
October 24, 2003 01:55AM
Hello all,

Just a quick polling question... Do any of you experience the occasional bout of tinnitus. My readings, sparked from the conference room research about copper has led to an understanding of the results of zinc deficiency and tinnitus..... I would like to know if any of you experience this from time to time...

Joe
Bill B
Re: Tinnitus
October 24, 2003 02:51AM
Joe,

I have had tinnitus since I was 21. It started after I was taking a supha drug for two weeks and it never went away. I also have another type of tinnitus that sounds more like a running engine. I used to look out the window to see if there was a truck outside! This one comes and goes. That worried me a bit, but I had an MRI, which showed I was fine.

For me, tinnitus is annoying but harmless. I don't think about it much. In fact, I use it when I meditate. I was told reducing salt-intake could reduce it. It didn't work for me.

BillB
48;A;2000
Richard
October 24, 2003 03:11AM
Joe,

I have experienced it from time to time, and my hearing isn't what it used to be either, but my zinc levels were normal. Strangely though, when I did the zinc challenge, where you hold a solution in your mouth to determine a deficiency, I couldn't taste it, and if my zinc levels were normal, I should be able to. That was back in April, however, and my other test was in July. Maybe the levels built back up.

Richard
Carol
October 24, 2003 03:34AM
Yes, I have had tinnitus for many years. It has become part of me. I rarely notice it.

I have had poor hearing since I was a child, which I am told contributed to the stress that I endured growing up in a well- to - do highly dysfunctional family. My hearing problem went undetected until about ten years ago (why didn't my parents notice it??!!), when an exam at Mass Eye and Ear showed it was a condition of long standing.

Carol
Fran
October 24, 2003 05:13AM
Bill

Thats interesting about your tinnitus being tied in with sulpha drugs. My sister was on sulphasalazine and got very distressed with tinnitus. Her Dr's never made the connection. She has since stopped them due to the cancer, but still gets tinnitus from time to time.

I used to get it periodically. Would sulpha drugs equate to an excess of sulphur in the diet? I know this would go against Richards regime - but the more I compare our differences with the same symptoms I think we are totally two ends of the same spectrum

Fran
J. Pisano
October 24, 2003 05:54AM
Fran,
It is interesting that sulphur has been shown to help with tinnitus while sulfa drugs have shown to cause a problem....and their made out of sulphur! Go figure... Perhaps it's the actually ALPHA LIPOIC ACID which helps with the tinnitus, it's sometimes known as thioctic acid because of it's sulphur component.. I know tha tAlpha Lipoic Acid helps with tinnitus...especially for those that have it caused by strong antibiotics....perhaps the sulfa drugs focus on concentratic too much of the wrong thing.... don't know....

Joe
Fran
October 24, 2003 07:30AM
Joe

This may be the answer from the Linus Pauling Institute

[lpi.oregonstate.edu]
In humans, molybdenum is known to function as a cofactor for three enzymes. Sulfite oxidase catalyzes the transformation of sulfite to sulfate, a reaction that is necessary for the metabolism of sulfur-containing amino acids, such as cysteine.

Maybe sulpha drugs are sulphites, like the additives to which I know I cannot take.

Fran
Richard
October 24, 2003 07:33AM
Joe and Fran,

Could sulpha drugs be more on the line of sulfites, and if one is low in molybdenum, then the sulfite oxidase enzyme isn't working properly, hence leaving toxic effects. More food for thought.

Richard
Fran
October 24, 2003 07:41AM
Thanks Richard

I just got there

Fran
kjell
October 24, 2003 09:03AM
Hi there, I too have tinnitus, have had it for 6-7 years it came along a year before my AF, I had I believe a virus that went on my balance nerve,so I had vertigo and tinnitus, vertigo went away but tinnitus is still a close partner.My bloodtest in both intracell.and serum/fullblood was very high in Zink and very low in copper and NORMAL magnesium , so I started with copper-selenium-manganese-and potassium + 3 gram of vitamin C every morning, and my butterfly stomach and pacs and pics are gone, but I still have the quivering at night, but I dont feel it it so strongly as before, maybe magnesium is not the regulator for arrythmia.Btw I also have Vitiligo and my question :, anyone else???.

kjell
October 24, 2003 09:52AM
Here I go again, beating the drum for magnesium!

There could be a connection with afibbers/Tinnitis/ and magnesium deficiency. When I googled this topic, I found multiple articles supporting this as well as a B12 deficiency.

One of the interesting article is at this address

[home.revealed.net]

From the article:

..."Magnesium May Shield Sensitive Ears

It's true that you won't find laboratory animals handling heavy

artillery or using chain saws. But you can thank these creatures for

another dietary recommendation for protecting ears: magnesium.

Magnesium-deficient lab animals exposed to noise have much more

damage to the nerve cells in their cochleas than animals fed a diet

adequate in magnesium, Dr. Attias says. What happens to these cells

when the noise level gets too high? "The tiny hairs on these cells fuse or

disappear, and they and their supporting cells eventually disintegrate,

along with the nerve fibers going to these cells," explains Dr. Attias. Low

levels of magnesium combined with noise exposure eventually deplete the

cells' energy stores, leading to exhaustion, damage and death of the inner

ear cells, he explains.

Low magnesium levels can also cause blood vessels, including the tiny

arteries going to the inner ears, to constrict. (Remember, noise-induced

vasospasm is thought to play a role in tinnitus.) Human ears, even young,

healthy, normal-hearing ones, can benefit from extra magnesium, Dr.

Attias says. "

Additionally, I do not have tinnitus. I do know people who have been helped by taking ginkgo biloba for this condition - it increases circulation to the microvessels.

Jackie
October 24, 2003 10:02AM
Forgot to add that at the bottom of this article, there are these quotes:

"If all the medicaiton in the world were thrown in the ocean, it would be a good day for man, but a bad day for the fish"

Thomas Edison

The doctor of the future will give no medicine but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease.

Thomas A. Edison

Wise man. Jackie
Adrian
October 24, 2003 11:06AM
I have occasional ringing in the ears. Adrian v49
J. Pisano
Tinnitus covergence thickening....
October 24, 2003 11:16AM
Isn't this interesting...... all of this tinnintus information..... perhaps we should explore this in detail at some point, it may definetley be a pointing sign of nutritional deficiency that is connected with afib....
J. Pisano
Information from past posts in closed forums...
October 24, 2003 11:30AM
Interesting information found by scouring the archives.... This was suggested as a correlation almost 2 years ago to date on this forum.....
It would be interesting to see what Dick has found out since, I am going to try to email him Dick to if he might be available to tell us what he has found out since in 2 years and how he is doing.......

Author: Dick Schneiders (199.240.151.---)
Date: 11-02-01 14:35

I have had minor tinnitus for several years. It had been so minor that I rarely even paid attention to it, and when I did it was more of a curiosity than anything. However, a couple of months ago the intensity increased considerably. I just went to my doctor to rule out any medical problem that might have been the cause. One of the tests he scheduled me for was a stress test. However, before I started the actual test, they discovered that I was in an AF state.

I had been to the doctor a few times over the past 10 years or so with a variety of problems like minor chest discomfort, intermittent racing heart, shortness of breath, dizzy spells, etc. All of these problems were very infrequent and never manifested themselves while at the doctor. About 3 years ago I had an EKG and ecocardiogram, chest x-rays, etc. Everything showed up normal on these tests, and they were administered by a cardiologist.

Now, finally, the problem has been identified and I am in the beginning stages of trying to determine how to deal with my AF, which seems to be of the "Lone" variety. However, the tinnitus still bothers me and it appears to have been put on the back burner by my doctor. He feels that there can be no correlation between that and the AF. Do any of you have any thoughts on this?

I am an active and, up to now, very healthy 56 year old male - nonsmoker, infrequent drinker, about 15 pounds overweight at 200 lbs.

I am concerned about my mental state if I am faced with dealing with two distinct ailments that most doctors consider to have no effective cure. It would be helpful to discover that there is a link to them.

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

Reply To This Message

RE: Correlation between AF and tinnitus?
Author: Gert Mueller (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: 11-02-01 14:47

Dick,

what about your blood pressure ? All inside the green range ? I ask you this question, because a high BP may be the reason for tinnitus and afib as well.

Gert.

Reply To This Message

Author: william (---.netcom.ca)
Date: 11-03-01 14:24

I had tinnitus before my first incident of LAF.
I don't have high blood pressure, never have.

Reply To This Message

Author: Dick Schneiders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 11-03-01 15:14

Gert,

My blood pressure has never been high. Just about the only out of normal range item I have been tested for has been a slightly elevated cholesterol.

Never had any medical problems at all - now I am dealing with two of them that have a lousy curative rate.

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

Reply To This Message

Author: BobC (---.sbo.ma.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: 11-05-01 05:12

My wife found that ginkgo biloba really helped her tinnitus.

Reply To This Message

Author: BobC (---.sbo.ma.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: 11-05-01 05:16

She also takes super B complex with the ginkgo. The combo has given her much relief.

Reply To This Message

Date: 11-05-01 12:44

I think I recall seeing somewhere on this board that ginko can cause increased episodes of AF.

Anybody else remember reading that anywhere?

Dick Schneiders

Reply To This Message

Author: Hans Larsen (---.gv.shawcable.net)
Date: 11-07-01 11:43

Ginkgo biloba and vitamin B12 are both essential supplements in the treatment of tinnitus.

Hans

Reply To This Message

Author: Hans Larsen (---.pinc.com)
Date: 11-07-01 12:20

Dick,

There is some indication that tinnitus can be caused by an autonomic nervous systm dysfunction - just like LAF. Do you have the vagal or adrenergic type?

Hans

Reply To This Message

Author: William Schnell (---.netcom.ca)
Date: 11-07-01 12:43

In the book I\'m reading on the effects of mercury (from amalgam fillings) , tinnitus is listed as one of the symptoms.
This fits with other observations.

[hometown.aol.com]

William

Reply To This Message

Date: 11-07-01 12:55

Hans,

I was only just diagnosed last week, after years of various symptons, and I am not certain which form of AF I have. I certainly think that it is Lone because with all of the tests there has not been the slightest indication of any heart disease. I am a 56 year old male in good health and no vices. :-)

I strongly suspect that it is the adrenergic form, though, because most of the symptoms I can recall as being during the daytime and after some stess, either mental or physical. However, since I have been diagnosed, I have been in a constant state of AF. Pulse is fairly steady in the 70 range, but very irregular.

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

Reply To This Message

Author: pierre (---.turboline.skynet.be)
Date: 11-25-01 13:04

What is tinnitus ??

Reply To This Message

Author: Hans Larsen (---.gv.shawcable.net)
Date: 11-26-01 13:45

Pierre,

Tinnitus is an ear disorder manifesting itself as a ringing in the ear.

Hans

Reply To This Message

Author: Memphis Ken (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 12-02-01 06:59

Wow!

As a recently "discovered" LAF sufferer -- and first-time visitor to LAF forum -- I too have now noticed a correlation between LAF episodes and increased tinnitis. I've had the latter forever (53 yr. old male, otherwise excellent health), and now see how the two are probably connected. As are my periodic outbreaks of hives, I suspect. Haven't had one since my "get thee to the hospital" command from my GP in a routine visit, and subsequent diagnosis, but am convinced they're partners in crime, the hives and the LAF. Any thoughts on this, anyone?

What a wonderful board! A real lifesaver. Thanks.

Reply To This Message

Author: trudy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 12-25-01 00:15

Dick, there has been some progress in dealing with tinnitus. There was some publicity awhile back because William Shatner, who has it, spoke out about how helpful the new treatments had been for him, after it had just about driven him nuts. A web search on Shatner and tinnitus should turn it up. I noticed because I have had tinnitus for decades, but it is low enough currently to be tolerable. My afib is much more recent.
Anton
October 24, 2003 01:57PM
Interesting. I've had tinnitis for years and before I was aware of AF. With mine, when in NSR, I can "hear" my beat as the tinnitus is louder on the pulsed beat. That's to say I can feel my pulse and it coincides with the increase in tinnitus sound.

I used to pay it no mind as it's a low volume, but I now use it as a confirmation that I'm in NSR. In AFib, it's more of a constant sound. Anyone else use it as a HR indicator?

Anton
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login