Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PC and All - Adrenals

Posted by Richard 
Richard
PC and All - Adrenals
October 21, 2003 06:17PM
PC and All,

I mentioned in the CR, that Dr. Gersten told me that Dr. Paul Eck was the expert on minerals. Here is an article written by Dr. Eck and Dr. Wilson on adrenal insufficiency.

What was the most thought provoking, was that the article indicates, that low potassium and sodium in a hair analysis shows poor adrenal function. I'll post my hair analysis results, as the article unfolds in parenthesis.

ADRENAL INSUFFICIENCY
By Dr. Paul C. Eck and Dr. Lawrence Wilson

Adrenal insufficiency refers to the inability of the adrenal glands to produce a normal quantity of hormones. It may also be defined as a reduced ability to cope with stress. It is one of the most common imbalances in our population today.
Adrenal insufficiency is not to be confused with Addison's disease. Addison's disease is more or less a total adrenal gland shutdown.
Adrenal insufficiency is also different from adrenal burnout. The latter is a more severe derangement of the energy-producing mechanisms of the body. In burnout, the body is basically unable to cope with stress. The symptoms of burnout are similar to those of adrenal insufficiency, but are more extreme and require longer to correct.

ABOUT THE ADRENAL GLANDS

The adrenal glands are often referred to as the stress glands or the fight-or-flight glands. The fight-or-flight response is mediated by the adrenal medulla. The fight-or-flight response is the bodyís way of responding to stress.
The stress response prepares the body to run or fight. Blood pressure, pulse rate and blood sugar levels increase. Blood is shunted away from the digestive organs and toward the muscles and brain. The pupils dilate and the speed of reflexes increases. Part of the stress response is due to the action of the adrenal hormones. Symptoms of adrenal insufficiency can be directly traced to a reduced secretion of these hormones when under stress. Adrenal hormones are divided into two groups, those produced in the adrenal medulla and those produced in the cortex.
Hormones produced in the medulla are epinephrine and norepinephrine. These are powerful, fast-acting neurotransmitters which initiate the fight-flight response. They are also sometimes called adrenalin and noradrenalin. The hormones produced by the adrenal cortex are aldosterone, cortisol and cortisone. The cortical hormones have a slower, more prolonged action.
Aldosterone is called a mineralocorticoid hormone. Its primary function is to increase sodium retention by the kidneys. Aldosterone levels roughly correlate with sodium levels on a hair mineral analysis. Aldosterone is a pro-inflammatory hormone required to initiate a healing reaction.
Cortisol and cortisone are referred to as glucocorticoid hormones because they cause conversion of amino acids and glycogen to glucose. The corticosteroids are anti-inflammatory and provide a mild sense of euphoria. Cortisol levels roughly correspond to the potassium level on a hair mineral analysis.
A balance between aldosterone and cortisol is necessary to maintain one's health. This balance is associated with the ratio of sodium to potassium on a hair analysis. If aldosterone secretion is high ratio-wise to cortisol, inflammatory conditions such as gastritis, colitis, arthritis, bursitis and sinusitis prevail. This often corresponds with a high ratio of sodium to potassium on a hair analysis.
If cortisol secretion is high ratio-wise to aldosterone, diseases such as diabetes, immune-deficiency syndromes, infection, arteriosclerosis, atherosclerosis, cataracts, glaucoma, coronary heart disease or cardiomyopathy may prevail. This corresponds to a low ratio of sodium to potassium on a hair analysis. Dr. Eck found the ideal sodium/potassium ratio is about 2.5:1 in an unwashed sample of head hair.
(MY ANALYSIS: POTASSIUM REF RANGE 9.0-40 RESULT 3.0
SODIUM REF RANGE 12-90 RESULT 7.0)
I'M AT A 2.33:1, EVEN THOUGH I WAS LOW PER THE REF RANGE

SYMPTOMS OF ADRENAL INSUFFICIENCY

Adrenal insufficiency is commonly associated with the following symptoms, which can vary from mild to extreme.

* fatigue
* decreased tolerance to cold
* poor circulation
* low blood sugar level (hypoglycemia)
* low blood pressure
* allergies
* apathy or depression
* low stamina
* low self-esteem due to low energy output
* joint aches and pains
* low levels of gastric hydrochloric acid
* tendency to constipation
* muscle weakness
* need for excessive amounts of sleep
* fears, due to low energy and secondary copper toxicity
* lowered resistance to infection
* subnormal body temperature

CAUSES OF ADRENAL INSUFFICIENCY

Causes of adrenal insufficiency may include:

* Genetics. Genetics can affect the adrenal glands. Also, genetic defects can be a cause of physical and emotional stress that can weaken the adrenals.

* Congenital Weakness. Congenital means present at birth. However, a congential condition may not be genetic. It may be caused by nutritional deficiencies of the mother that are passed on to the child. It may also be caused by toxic metals or other toxins passed on from the mother's body that interfere with the functioning of the adrenal glands. This is a very common cause of adrenal insufficiency today.

* Nutritional Imbalances. These can begin early in childhood with inadequate diets, diet inappropriate for one's oxidation type, poor food quality or digestive problems that prevent proper nutrition. Even natural foods today often are low in vital minerals and do not provide adequate nutrition. Pesticides, heavy metals, bacteria, solvents and other organic chemicals can all act as stressors that weaken the adrenal glands.

* Emotional or Psychological Stress. Responding to emotional stress over and over will eventually deplete the adrenal glands. A single overwhelming shock such as death of a loved one can also deplete the adrenals. Emotional stress can begin in childhood or at any time in life. It is actually the resistance or fear of a situation that causes the stress response. A loving response will cause much less of a reaction, no matter what the situation.
Other possible stressors include pressures from family, school, work, social pressure, financial stress and others. People who force their bodies to "run or fight" all the time by any means will tend to exhaust their adrenal glands. The 'fight-or-flight' response must be balanced by adequate rest and sleep.

* Stimulants. Most stimulants whip the adrenals. This may cause one to feel better for a while, but the long-term effect is to weaken the adrenal glands. Stimulants include sugar, alcohol, caffeine, theobromine in chocolate, amphetamines and other medical drugs, cocaine, heroine and others.
Other stimulants can include loud noise, loud music, light stimulation such as strobe lights in night clubs, excessive exercise and excessive vibration. Anger, fear and worry can act as stimulants as well.
Note that stimulant use can be a result, as well as a cause of adrenal insufficiency. A person who is tired due to weak adrenals may be attracted to stimulants such as drugs, loud music or anger to feel better temporarily.

* Infections, Energetic and Structural Imbalances. These are all internal stressors that, if left uncorrected, can eventually weaken the adrenals by forcing the body to mount a chronic stress response to these irritants.

* Toxic Substances. These may include chlorine in water, polluted air, mercury from dental fillings, household chemicals, food additives, pesticide exposure, dusts, molds and pollens. These often cause allergies that can be controlled with adrenalin or cortisone, the adrenal hormones.
Medical therapy, particularly cortisone or prednisone therapy, weakens the adrenals by creating hormone imbalances.

* Mental Attitude. One's attitude makes a great difference in determining the stress response. Worry, fear, anger and resentment tend to increase the stress response. An attitude of gratitude and compassion for oneself and others tends to diminish the stress response. Understanding the impermanence of the body and the world we live in, emotional detachment and detachment from all form, and a single-minded desire to extend love can greatly diminish the stress response.

DETECTING ADRENAL INSUFFICIENCY

It is often possible to assess adrenal insufficiency based upon symptoms. Anyone who is tired, allergic, intolerant to cold, with symptoms of low blood sugar, weakness and low blood pressure, most likely has some degree of adrenal insufficiency.
Blood tests may be useful to detect serious adrenal insufficiency. A serum sodium level less than 130 mEq/L and a serum potassium greater than 5 mEq/L may be noted. A low glucose levels and elevated blood urea nitrogen (BUN) may also be present. Other factors, however, can affect the serum readings.
A blood test for adrenal function involves measuring 17-ketosteroids, a breakdown product of the adrenal hormones. Measuring the ketosteroids alone is not considered accurate. To perform the test properly, an injection of ACTH (adreno-cortical stimulating hormone) is given first. Then urine is collected and measured for 17-hydroxycorticosteroids (17-OHCS) and 17-ketogenic steroids (17-KGS).
Measurement of 17-OHCS and 17-KGS without the ACTH loading is not useful and may be misleading. The loading dose of ACTH measures how well the adrenals respond to the pituitary. Many people with adrenal insufficiency have no symptoms if the adrenals are not called upon to respond to a stressor.
Hair mineral analysis is an excellent assessment tool for adrenal insufficiency when the test is properly performed. It is probably more reliable and sensitive than the blood tests.
The hair must not be washed at the laboratory. Washing at the laboratory erratically removes sodium and potassium, critical minerals for adrenal assessment. According to the research of Dr. Paul Eck, the following are indicators of adrenal insufficiency on a hair analysis:

* Sodium level less than 25 mg% (I'm 7.0ug/g)
* Potassium level less than 10 mg% (I'm 3.0ug/g
* Sodium/potassium ratio less than 2.5:1
* Sodium/magnesium ratio less than 4.17:1
(MY MAG RESULT - REF RANGE 25-75 RESULT 51ug/g - IT WOULD SEEM THAT MY MG. IS HIGH.....HMMM....IN RATIO TO SODIUM)

The more of these indicators that are present, the greater the evidence of adrenal insufficiency. Also, the more extreme the values, the more suggestive of adrenal insufficiency problems.

CORRECTING ADRENAL INSUFFICIENCY

The only medical treatment for adrenal insufficiency is cortisone replacement therapy. While low dose cortisone is used by some physicians, this therapy can cause serious side effects. In our experience, the best approach involves:

1) Nutritional assessment through hair tissue mineral analysis.

2) A wholesome diet of natural foods appropriate for one's oxidation type and digestive ability.

3) Nutritional supplements to reduce stress and enhance adrenal activity. The adrenal glands especially require vitamins A, C, E, pantothenic acid, manganese and zinc. Adrenal glandular substance is also recommended to provide adrenal nucleoproteins and other specific nutritional factors to help rebuild the adrenal glands.

4) Supplements to enhance overall metabolism, eliminate toxic metals and enhance absorption and digestion of food.

5) Detoxification procedures such as sauna therapy to help eliminate toxic metals.

6) Lifestyle modification to reduce harmful stressors.

7) Techniques to improve one's ability to cope with stress. This can include biofeedback, meditation, relaxation techniques, etc.

8) Attitude adjustment, including letting go of resentment, blame, attachments and fears that stimulate but also can paralyze the adrenal glands.

In mild cases of adrenal insufficiency, correction can occur in a matter of months. In more difficult or longstanding cases, complete correction may require several years. Persistence and patience are needed for optimal results.
[www.drlwilson.com]

Richard
J. Pisano
Re: PC and All - Adrenals
October 21, 2003 11:46PM
Richard,

I think if you have the chance, if you don't want to buy it a trip to the nearest bookstore might be in order for you... Look for the book: "21st century Stress Syndrome" and give it a glance. It's by James L. Wilson, MD. In it, he stresses the importance of nurtrition as it is realted to the adrenal glands- the master gland, the pancreas, hormone levels etc... When I first started with my afib, after some research I believed my whole problem was adrenal gland tiredness...I believe it was a part, but their are also other nutritional things I have been missing....like Cu.
Hans, was right when he said that there proabably won't be one "cookie cutter" solution for everyone but no doubt, nutrition will be vital for all...the question is what kinds of nutrition and how much.... I am amazed at Fran's ability to keep her afib at bay, by diet.....

Joe
J. Pisano
October 21, 2003 11:48PM
Richard,
Have you read the conference room articel about the rat study on copper.... I wonder if adernal deficiency has been related to the convalent structure of collagens..........

Joe
Richard
October 22, 2003 02:58AM
Joe,

That is an interesting study. I think in my case, that I'm high in copper, however, so hopefully, it doesn't apply to me. I think the body can do miraculous things, when given the right tools. I hope you're going to have some testings done to reveal your deficiencies, if you haven't already (I can't remember if you said you had). Strangely, my zinc levels also indicate, through a oral taste solution, that I was lacking in zinc. It's called Zinc Tally by Metagenics. I could not taste the metallic taste of the solution, but my hair analysis showed high in zinc, and my packed erythrocytes showed normal levels, so why couldn't I taste the solution. I'm buying more to retest, at www.aminoacidpower.com. Here's my analysis again.

Copper Ref range .53-.63 Result .63
Zinc Ref range 7.3-10.6 Result 8.7
Potassium Ref range 75.6-95 Result 90.0
Molybdenum Ref range .0004-.0019 Result <.0002
Manganese Ref range .011-.028 Result .024
Magnesium Ref range 30.8-40.4 Result 40.9

There is so much to study, and not enough hours in the day. Dr. Gersten stated, that he had ask Dr. Paul Eck, the mineral guru, if he knew anything about amino acids, and his reply was, that it had taken him a lifetime to just know about the minerals in the body.

Richard
J. Pisano
October 22, 2003 04:52AM
Richard,

I am in the process of finding a suitable place to check for these deficiences..... Perhaps, as we are younger, no doubt, the body can have moe latitude in dealing with the ranges indicated, but over time a lack of one thing or excess of another causes strange things to happen. In one study on copper deficiency, it said that this lack can actually remodel the heart, I find it not too hard to believe an excess can do the same.... And since afib begets afib...once the model is remodled we have even a more bear of a time getting back to normal........

I find Frans diet and Hans's interpretation of the 3:1 ratio of zinc to copper is probably around the right mark......

Hans said that alchohol greatly effects the zinc and copper levels.... perhaps this is just another indicator of the importance of this ration.... as an asside red wines that have the skins extracted in a particular way, allow magnesium to stay at higher levels in the product....which is perhaps why it is supposedly more "healthy" for us..

Joe
Fran
October 22, 2003 07:03AM
Joe said I am amazed at Fran's ability to keep her afib at bay, by diet.....

So am I. If you had told me this four years ago I would never have believed that turn around was possible. However, I did not go into it lightly. Inititially I did the diet to eliminate all sources of free glutamate which I had been thoroughly researching. Most people understand the avoidance of processed MSG but not the naturally occuring sort. Many people are skeptical of this part of the diet - eg supplement binders and fillers, gelatine, broth, soups, cooked tomatoes, soy sauce, ketchup etc etc. To me it is the most important. Whilst I now follow a paleo diet and will cheat a bit from time to time with bread or oatcakes etc, I would never dream of eating anything I know to have a free glutamate. This is because I now know that just a tiny bit will set me off. And whilst I see people have positive results to an extent by changing their diets they still have need of their favourite sauce, a bowl of homemade soup, and to a greater extent their supplements.

I do not think it was chance that it took me two weeks off my meds before sinus set in. My theory (which I spent many months formulating and which I then put into practice) was to get off all sources of free glutamate and my meds had naaturally occuring sources of it in. I was free of food free glutamate for a year before I stopped my meds but was still chronic. The last remaining sources of free glutamate was in my atenolol and before that my sotalol ..... Not to mention their adverse effects and proarrhythmiac qualities.

I also have to say I had a friend come to stay with me for two weeks in August. She had been following Atkins and eating only whole foods, but not organic. She decided for convenience sake to follow my diet whilst she was here. Within the first week her joint pains had gone and a skin problem on her hands that had plagued her for years cleared up. She also upped her calories and was blown away by the weight she had lost. She and I put it down to my diet and is now following it at home. Sometimes I wonder if I had another Afibber come to stay who only ate what I ate if it would clear them up too. Maybe when I get into my new house I could try it and invite a 'hopeless' case of chronic AF to stay and do a sort of trial.

Fran
Jeff
October 22, 2003 07:27AM
Fran, Can I be on your list of guests at your new house?
Howie
October 22, 2003 07:55AM
Fran,
If the trial at the new house works out, you might consider teaming up with a cruise ship company and offering a special Afibbers Cruise with the ever popular Normal Sinus Rhythm Band and the Fran's Fabulous Food Fare For Fibbers. Getting a few low cost dentists involved would allow us to fix our teeth and hearts and pay for the cruise while having a holiday. Waller Water would be available for a slight additional charge. Sign me up, however I will require that I be allowed to go on the loudspeaker system as the Captain and give the command that I've always dreamed of giving, i.e. "Ahoy there mateys, Hoist the Poop Deck".
Richard
October 22, 2003 01:54PM
This definitely fits my scenario. Hopefully it's not completely repeating the above.

1) Imbalanced Oxidation Rate

The oxidation rate is defined as the rate at which food is burned or oxidized. All biochemical oxidation has an optimum rate of reaction. When the rate is too fast or too slow, energy efficiency declines drastically. Dr. Paul Eck’s research indicates an optimum oxidation rate is indicated in an unwashed hair sample by a calcium/potassium ratio of 4:1 and a sodium/magnesium ratio of 4.17:1. Indicators of a slow oxidation rate are a calcium/potassium ratio greater than 4:1 and a sodium/magnesium ratio less than 4.17:1. Indicators of an excessively fast oxidation rate are a calcium/potassium ratio less than 4:1 and a sodium/magnesium ratio greater than 4.17:1.

Most hair tests of people with fatigue reveal a slow oxidation rate. In slow oxidation, the calcium and magnesium levels are elevated relative to the sodium and potassium levels. (THIS IS EXACTLY MY CASE - HIGHER HAIR LEVELS OF CA/MG AND LOW LEVELS K/NA). This pattern is associated with sluggish thyroid and adrenal glandular activity. Researchers such as Broda Barnes, MD have written extensively on the impact of hypothyroidism on energy levels. Eighty percent of the mineral tests at Accutrace Laboratories reveal sluggish thyroid and adrenal glandular activity.

Less commonly, the oxidation rate is too rapid. In these cases, calcium and magnesium levels are low, while sodium and potassium levels are elevated due to adrenal hyperactivity. These individuals often appear energetic. However, it is often ‘nervous energy’, especially when the oxidation rate is very rapid or if the sodium/potassium ratio is less than 2.5:1.

2) Calcium/Magnesium Ratio less than 3.3:1 or greater than 10:1.

An imbalanced calcium/magnesium ratio is an indicator of carbohydrate intolerance. Availability of glucose to the body cells is essential for the adequate generation of energy. Often an imbalanced calcium/magnesium ratio indicates excessive dietary carbohydrate intake.
[www.tracemineralanalysis.com]

Richard
PC
October 23, 2003 01:27AM
Richard,

Thank you for your continuing efforts. Wish I could contribute more in this area. I believe aldosterone is central to the issue.

You may want to visit www.adrenalfatigue.org. Apologies if you already have mentioned it above.

PC v54
Richard
October 23, 2003 04:31AM
PC,

Thank you for that link. I had not seen it before. Could you explain why my packed erythrocyte test indicated higher levels of K, in relation to aldosterone, or even if this is a good indicator? (Ref range 75.6-95 result 90). I also have friend, who recently told me that his K levels had skyrocketed, and his doctor told him to completely eliminate K containing drinks, such as V-8 and orange juice. Does this indicate an aldosterone insufficiency, because it's not excreting the K and keeping a balance between Na and K? I'd also be interested in knowing what test indicated you were secreting K or low in K, if you don't mind sharing. I find this all very fascinating. I'm certainly not eliminating the fact that aldosterone could still be an issue, because I was not a good hydrator myself, especially at the time of the above test. Thanks PC for all your help and knowledge that you share. I have great respect for you.

Richard
Liz H.
October 23, 2003 05:10AM
Richard:

On my last bloodwork in May of this year, my k level was at the high end and my aldosterone was at the low end. My cortisol level was at the high end.

In one of your last posts on adrenal insufficiency you said that an elevated blood urea nitrogen (BUN) may also be present, I found that very interesting. Whenever I have had any blood or urine tests, my BUN is always elevated, creatatine is always fine. The docs would just say that I probably didn't drink enough water.

My holistic doc said to take 5 grams of ascorbic acid,(I cannot take that much), I take about 1/2 that amount. I also take B vitamins and and extra B5.

Liz Vagal
Richard
October 23, 2003 05:42AM
Liz,

I hadn't paid much attention to the BUN and creatinine tests, so I went to my test results and I fell within normal levels. Here's my results.

Urea Nitrogen (BUN) Ref range 7-25 Result 15mg/dl
Creatinine Ref range 0.5-1.4 Result 0.9mg/dl
BUN/Creatinine Ratio Ref range 6-25 Result 17

To be honest, I'm not completely sure what these tests tell me, as I haven't studied them. Do you know? My sodium serum levels were at the top of the ref range and potassium was mid-range, but my potassium in the packed erythrocyte test was to the high side, which is probably more indicative of K levels. So, I'm a bit high, but not out of range, on both.

You might want to consider the hair analysis, that I posted, and read the link I shared with Bill and Scott, on their posts. I found it very informative and thought provoking.

Thank you, Liz, for sharing your results. You peaked my interest, as to what those tests mean.

Richard
Fran
October 23, 2003 06:16AM
"Less commonly, the oxidation rate is too rapid. In these cases, calcium and magnesium levels are low, while sodium and potassium levels are elevated due to adrenal hyperactivity. These individuals often appear energetic. However, it is often ‘nervous energy’, especially when the oxidation rate is very rapid or if the sodium/potassium ratio is less than 2.5:1."

Richard

This one sounds more like me. What I don't quite get is that you think you are adrenergic or mixed and I always supposed I was vagal and this states rapid oxidisation is in part due to adrenal hyperactivity?

Fran
PC
October 23, 2003 06:47AM
Fran,

Talk about the treatment being worse than the disease (more tasteless humor from PC).

Seriously, you're a beacon for us all and on many levels, not the least of which is compassion.

PC v54
PC
October 23, 2003 06:54AM
Richard,

Again I haven't the foggiest on the erythrocyte K levels. Although toward the upper limit of normal, it's still normal. Even if it was slightly higher than the upper limit, I wouldn't get too excited about. The reference ranges are determined by looking at the results for the general population and then removing those outside the 95% confidence limits. So theoretically one in 20 "normal" people can be outside the reference range.

The first thing I tell any patient querying an unexplained abnormal lab result is to have it repeated.

PC v54
Mike F. V42
October 23, 2003 07:21AM
Perhaps of some relevance here....... an abstract which can be viewed at:

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

suggests that:

"Basal cortisol is less expensive, and we therefore suggest to use it as a first-line test of adrenal insufficiency."

Mike F.
Fran
October 23, 2003 07:33AM
PC. You made me laugh. I was eating heart and spinnach for lunch today and I started chuckling to myself visualising a hopeful afibber come to stay and being presented with such an offering. What a stress for someone more used to the best restaraunt food.

Fran
Richard
October 23, 2003 10:26AM
Fran,

I fit a lot of the adrenal insufficiency patterns, although I'm not a depressed person. I consider myself pretty laid back, even though I approach life with a purpose. One thing I cannot handle well is confrontations with irrational people. It effects me inwardly. I care very much about resolving issues in a peaceable way, but that doesn't always happen, and in the case of my lifetime friendship, turned partner in building an office building, things turned ugly. That's about when my first symptons appeared. I might add that he had to have open heart surgery, shortly thereafter, as well. I really tried to smooth the situation over, but he wanted nothing to do with being reasonable. After 5 yrs. of silence, we have become friends again, but things will never completely be the same. It's ashamed.

Mike,

You know, my cortisol levels were elevated on taking a saliva test throughout the day, so if my adrenals were insufficient, then I wonder why those would have been elevated. I do know however that my levels of tyrosine are low, and homovanillic acid pathway is low, which has something to do with dopamine. I was also low in vanilmandelic acid, which is another metabolic pathway that has to do with dopamine, but I haven't had time to study these further. Stay tuned.

PC,

Thank you for your response.

Richard
Fran
October 24, 2003 04:54AM
Richard

Towards the end of my AFib carreer I had issues with someone too. This person was totally irrational - and a bully to boot. For over a year she twisted everything and took my work and ideas and passed them off as her own. She told me one thing in the office and the opposite to everyone else. In the process she also managed to discredit me - and the more I tried to set the record straight the madder I looked. I gave up in the end. I was also too sick of the whole issue I didn't even go to a tribunal and was then in permanent AF. I just wanted my life back. I told myself what goes around comes around and sooner or later she would hang herself. I am watching it happen now. She has now done the same to a Chairperson, a curator and an assistant. The assistant recorded her lies and manipulations and trapped her with her own web of deciet. It should make me feel good but the whole thing left me with a really bad taste. Infact just seeing or thinking of her makes my body sick and sends shudders through me. And whenever she meets me she gushes with admiration for me - Eeeuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhhh. This is the type of person that steps on more than peoples toes in a bid to get to the top - and she was so clever no-one could see it until it happened to them. Yes it has changed me.

Fran
kestra
October 28, 2003 05:16PM
Boy, can I ever relate to these stories of dealing with an irrational person! I had one in my life, too, who sabotaged me at every turn and turned my staff against me. My afib started after she came on board. And, like your situation, Fran, the more I tried to protest and alert people higher up as to what was going on, the crazier I looked, not her!

I finally caved and said, "Here, you want my job? Have it - on a silver platter!" The job itself even without her was so stressful and I was working so many hours I was bound to end up in afib anyway.

I recast my job into one that doesn't deal with her too closely even though we still work in the same office. She doesn't report to me nor I to her. I work fewer hours and pretty much work alone, controlling how I structure my week. It has taken a great deal of stress off me.

Sign me up for the afibbers' cruise! Or the stay at Fran's! But - eating heart? (Shudder) Uhhh... still trying to grasp the idea of organ meats - hated liver and onions when I was a kid!

k
kestra
October 28, 2003 05:19PM
Actually, you know, seriously, an LAF conference might not be a bad idea. Whenever I've gone to conferences for other same-interest issues, just the amazing support of being with people who are dealing with same things as you is incredible.

How about it, Hans?

k
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login