Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beware of cranberry juice if on Coumadin

Posted by njb 
njb
Beware of cranberry juice if on Coumadin
October 21, 2003 01:49PM
FYI. Just read an article from the Cleveland Plain Dealer "People's Pharmacy" column. Said someone in Great Britain died from drinking cranberry juice--apparently because he was also taking Coumadin.
NJB
peggy merrill
Re: Beware of cranberry juice if on Coumadin
October 21, 2003 09:11PM
Hello, njb. Are you real sure that was cranberry juice, and not grapefruit?
Peggy
Howie
October 21, 2003 11:12PM
I drink cranberry juice all the time while on coumadin. Maybe the death was unrelated to the cranberry juice.
Mike D.
October 22, 2003 02:47AM
I'm on coumadin and I drink cranberry juice, eat grapefruit, and drink grapefruit juice. No problems. The person must of died of something else or OD'd on the coumadin.
Mike D.
J. Pisano
October 22, 2003 03:00AM
Here's the article:
In the LA times....Not enough information or references for me........

The People's Pharmacy
Anti-clotting drug and cranberry juice don't mix

Recent Columns:
Anti-clotting drug and cranberry juice don't mix
October 20, 2003

Some medications and aspirin might not mix
October 13, 2003

Choosing between baldness remedies
October 6, 2003

Reevaluate elderly mom's multiple medications
September 29, 2003

Daughter's prescription diet drug may be taking a toll
September 22, 2003

CAPSULES

Is it true that you should not drink cranberry juice if you are on Coumadin to thin the blood?

British regulatory authorities issued a warning to patients taking warfarin (Coumadin) not to drink cranberry juice. This combination has been associated with excessive bleeding, and one man died from it. Until this interaction has been more thoroughly studied, it would be wise for those on Coumadin to avoid cranberry juice.

A year ago, a reader recommended Vicks VapoRub for toenail fungus. I tried it for about a year without results. Someone else suggested vitamin E oil. Also no results. My doctor has been reluctant to prescribe oral drugs such as Lamisil because of the cost and potential side effects. I would dearly love to get rid of this toe fungus but haven't had luck with home remedies.

Home remedies don't always work. Although some readers have reported success with Vicks, dilute vinegar soaks or applications of tea tree oil to the nail, others have not found any benefit.

A new remedy suggested by one reader involves soaking the toenail daily in Listerine. This mouthwash contains essential oils that might have antifungal activity.

If all else fails, you might consider dissolving the infected portion of the nail. This can be done with a prescription-strength urea paste. It is less painful than surgical nail removal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joe Graedon, a pharmacologist, and Teresa Graedon, an expert in medical anthropology and nutrition, can be reached at People's Pharmacy, King Features Syndicate, 888 7th Ave., New York, NY 10019, or at pharmacy@mindspring.com.
Jeff
October 22, 2003 07:31AM
I drink a lot of cranberry & respberry juice. I'm not on coumadin, but might the same theory apply to the milder blood thinner, aspirin?
October 22, 2003 07:48AM
To all re: cranberry juice.

I would worry alot about any significant consumption of cranberry juice due to the sugar content. And, I would find it difficult to imagine that anyone could drink any large amount of unsweetened cranberry juice since either sugar, high fructose corn syrup or any of the artificial sweeteners are just like poison to the body.

A health drink it is not, although it has always been touted as a remedy for urinary tract infections.

At the very least, if one needed cranberry juice, the best would be to use the unsweetened and sweeten it yourself with sugar...the lesser of the evils between high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners.

The connection between sugar spikes, insulin reaction and afib is well known.... those of you with afib who are consuming sweetened drinks need to realize this is sabatoge to the body and a possible trigger source.

Whole fruit best. Juice is not recommended at all to keep glucose and insulin levels steady.

Food for thought. Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login