Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Coenzyme Q10 - Many benefits

Posted by Jackie 
Coenzyme Q10 - Many benefits
May 13, 2007 12:18AM
Do yourselves a favor and go to this website (below) and read this article and follow all the links on the importance of Coenzyme Q10.

I’ve always taken CoQ10 for heart health and especially during my afib journey because just knowing how it functions in the heart, I felt it was important to supplement with whatever would help those heart cells function optimally. Whenever I went into an afib event, I always took an extra Q10 just as insurance that my poor overworked heart would have some aid.

While it didn’t ‘cure’ me of afib, it did a great deal for my peace of mind during those long 8 years of my journey prior to ablation. I still take CoQ10.

To begin this section of the article published in the Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, cardiologist Peter Langsjoen, MD, who is a crusader against statin drugs and a proponent of supplemental CoQ10 says this:

"We are now in a position to witness the unfolding of the greatest medical tragedy of all time - never before in history has the medical establishment knowingly created a life-threatening nutrient deficiency in millions of otherwise healthy people." - Peter H. Langsjoen, MD

[www.townsendletter.com]

Jackie
MacKey
Re: Coenzyme Q10 - Many benefits
May 13, 2007 02:31AM
Jackie,

Please suggest a dose of Q10/ day?

MacKey
Hershey

Joyce
May 13, 2007 04:19AM
Thanks for that really important link, Jackie.

Joyce
Sharon Glass
May 13, 2007 05:30AM
Very interesting link. I have saved it to print and read at leisure. Thanks Jackie!
williamx
May 13, 2007 05:42AM
Can CoQ10 be taken if one is on warfarin?

Williamx
May 13, 2007 10:41AM
I'll work up a dosing information post and I'll share what I do as well.

Jackie
May 13, 2007 10:44AM
You will find some data that says one should not use Q10 with warfarin as it inhibits the drug action. Dr. Peter Langsjoen says it does not and Dr. Sinatra waffles on his comments.... years back he said there was no problem; lately, I've seen him comment that maybe it inhibits the warfarin action. I believe Dr. Langsjoen also says there are no definitive studies that show it interferes with warfarin.

I took it and plenty of it when I was on warfarin and had no problem with INR levels.

Jackie
Emmie
May 13, 2007 01:15PM
Hello Jackie,
I have been supplementing with 100mg CoQ10 per day ( as well as with vit B complex, Vit C and other goodies) for several years and I believe it has helped my heart even though I am in permanent AF.
(I originally took a 150mg tablet daily for high cholesterol, but that brand became too expensive)
I've been recently prescribed metaprolol ( Minax 50) which, I've read, blocks the effect of CoQ10 in the body and am concerned about that.
Because of my body's sensitivity to drugs I started with a 1/4 of a 50 mg tablet morning and evening, rather than the 1/2 tablet prescribed for the introductory fortnight (before building up to a full tablet morn. and eve).
Even with that low dose, I'm getting numbness and tingling in my tongue and throat.
My question is, at what dose does the metaprolol start blocking the effectiveness of CoQ10?
In your considered opinion (which I highly respect and value) is it worthwhile upping my CoQ10, vit C and vit B complex dose or is that just throwing my money away while I'm on the pharma drug?
I detest drugs of all kinds but I'm careful not to be obsessive about this and if I have to be on drugs to slow my heart rate, then so be it.
I'm just trying to support my body as much as possible without doing further damage.
Any thoughts or advice you have will be greatly appreciated.
thanks, warmest regards,
Emmie

Cynthia
May 13, 2007 02:08PM
Emmie, If you are getting numbness and tingling in tongue and throat on half the dose the Dr. ordered, I would get in touch with his office before taking any more. That is just what I would do, however.

Cynthia
May 14, 2007 01:16AM
Emmie and others - note this from the Health PDR

INTERACTIONS
DRUGS

Warfarin: There is one report of CoQ10 decreasing the effectiveness of warfarin.

Statins: CoQ10 and cholesterol share the same metabolic pathways. Inhibition of the enzyme 3-hydroxyl-3-methylglutonyl coenzyme A (HMG-CoA) reductase would be expected to decrease CoQ10 levels. The statin drugs lovastatin, simvastatin and pravastatin are known to decrease CoQ10 levels in humans. It is likely that all statins have this effect.

Doxorubicin: CoQ10 may help ameliorate the cardiotoxicity of doxorubicin.

Antidiabetic medications: CoQ10 may improve glycemic control in some type II diabetics. If this were to occur, antidiabetic medications might need appropriate adjusting.

Beta Blockers: Some beta blockers, in particular propanolol, have been reported to inhibit some CoQ10-dependent enzymes

Piperine: Piperine, found in black pepper, may increase plasma levels of CoQ10.

[www.pdrhealth.com]
Re: Coenzyme Q10 -Dosing
May 14, 2007 01:23AM
How you dose CoQ10 depends on the current state of health and the target or purpose of the supplementation and efficacy of that dosing. Efficacy also depends once again on the ‘form’ of the supplement. ( I have notes from a recent teleconference on CoQ10 that I will transcribe and post the highlights)... and many are not readily absorbed.

Ideally, you will have testing to determine your “Q” levels. Outside of a dose-related response to symptoms (improvement) – as in heart failure, cardiomyopathy, shortness of breath or lowered blood pressure response – testing is the only way to know for sure: 1) if your levels are adequate and 2) after using the chosen supplement, then how do the levels correlate. Sometimes a person cannot absorb the Q and sometimes the product, itself, is at fault.

In his book – The Sinatra Solution, cardiologist Stephen T. Sinatra gives these recommendations:
p. 75.

• 90-150 mg. daily as a preventive in cardiovascular or periodontal disease.
• 180-360 mg daily for severe congestive heart failure and dilated cardiomyopathy
• 300-360 mg. daily for mild to moderate congestive heart failure
• 360-600 mg. daily for severe congestive heart failure and dilated cardiomyopathy
• 600-1200 mg. daily for an improvement in quality of life in Parkinson’s disease.
Note: for a severely impaired immune system, as in cancer, even higher doses of coenzyme Q10 may be required.

Now – here’s what I used. During the times that I had afib, I took 100 mg. 3 times a day and always with a bit of olive oil if I did not take with a fat-containing meal. Fat helps absorption.

When I would go into afib, I would immediately take a regular aspirin and another 100 mg. of CoQ10 regardless of what other doses I had already taken before the onset. (This was my own mental security blanket). When I had ablation, I was put on a statin (Lipitor) to help with healing. Since I do not tolerate statins, I increased the dose to 500 mg. a day along with the statin, but that still didn’t help and I got the old familiar muscle pain and weakness. After stopping Lipitor, I continued increased dosing to 600 mg. a day in divided doses. Dividing doses is important because the body can only assimilate so much at one time.

I have used a variety of products. I originally used Dr. Sinatra’s product but was tested and found that my CoQ10 levels were sub-optimal. I switched to Metagenics for about a year and then decided to use Natural Factors CoQ10 (100 mg) product. I have since changed again to a product by Designs for Health called Q-Avail. This is the pre-emulsified form that ensures efficient absorption supported by in-house studies that show Q-Avail is twice as bioavailable than other commonly used including dry CoQ10 and sublingual-l forms.

Hans’ website through iHerb carries both Natural Factors and Q-Sorb by Jarrow. Do not take more than 100 at a time as the body can’t absorb more than that at a time….excess will be wasted. I’m partial to Natural Factors products because of price and they are a Canadian firm with very high manufacturing standards.

You should be aware that all CoQ10 is imported from Japan.

I buy the 100 mg. capsules and take 3 a day.

Be sure whatever product you choose, it is free of the excipients, PEG, Polysorbate 80 and Titanium oxide which are totally unnecessary.

I'll be back in a day or two with the notes from the researcher who presented his opinions based on his work with Coenzyme Q10.

Jackie
Dick
May 14, 2007 04:01AM
Thanks, Jackie, for the information on COQ10.

Dosage is certainly an issue, and, as you point out, testing for levels (as with minerals) is the only way a person can know for sure, (unless the person is taking it for a symptom that can be easily observed).

Is it correct to say that no one who is not a research subject can have their levels tested?

Anyway, here is another take on dosage levels, along with some summaries of research studies:

[www.raysahelian.com]

--Dick
May 14, 2007 05:55AM
Dick - Anyone can ask for that specific test by ordered by their doctor. It may take a special lab that does that particular test, but it's not restricted to research subjects. (I'm not a research subject).

read here:

[www.metametrix.com]

[www.metametrix.com]

[www.supplementquality.com]

That said, back about 15 years ago when integrative medicine was just becoming popular in some areas, the doctors lecturing on CoQ10 benefits just said to take it as most people need some anyway....as it certainlky can't hurt you...other than the wallet. Later on, testing became available through specialty labs such as Metametrix, SpectraCell, Genova and I believe DiagnosTech also does it.

Jackie
Greg
May 14, 2007 08:44PM
Thanks for the link Jackie.

Have taken it sporadically, after reading similar article about its' benefits, but tended to lapse. Will now start taking again on a regular basis.

Greg
Emmie
May 14, 2007 08:49PM
Thanks very much Jackie and Dick for the information and links,
best wishes,
Emmie
T Wat
May 23, 2007 06:32AM
I noticed that the Sahelian website said it could make you kind of hyper. Jackie, do you find this to be true? I'm nervous enough. Also, Sinatra says he prefers the softgel to powder capsules. What's your opinion of this? Has anyone experienced Ribose? Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login