Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Han's Report - COPPER

Posted by MLM 
MLM
Han's Report - COPPER
October 05, 2003 11:51PM
Copper....now that is one element that I hadn't considered. The information provided in the report makes me think. I wonder how one would approach supplementing with it???

blessings,
MLM
Richard
Re: Han's Report - COPPER
October 06, 2003 01:17AM
Marshall,

Before I supplemented with copper, I would have your zinc levels checked. You can buy a product called Zinc Tally, (enter a search), and test your levels at home. If you don't taste the solution, then your zinc levels are low, but if you taste it right away, then it's OK. This doesn't tell you your copper levels, but these two minerals compete, so you could possibly be dificient in copper, if zinc is high.

Richard
Mike F. V42
October 06, 2003 01:21AM
Hi all,

Interesting to note the current discussion as regards Cu. Just wondering if one could get one's daily RDA by drinking tap water which had come through copper pipework?? Also, I had my faeces copper levels tested about a year ago the result of which was 39mg/kg as agaisnt ref. range of >60mg/kg.... would this kind of test be adequate to spot an intracellular Cu deficiency?? (Interestingly, the same testing showed my platinum level to be 17 times above top of ref. range............. could this be from my gold-palladium alloy fillings which I had done to replace the Mercury ones a few years ago??)

Boy, would I LOVE to find some deficiency to address to reduce the ectopics! Don't know whether or not Cu is it in my own case given my faecal copper result and the fact that my tap water comes through copper pipework...... What do you guys think??

Mike F.
Richard
October 06, 2003 02:16AM
Mike,

I know the SSRI you take is presently necessary for you, but the more I read, the more I'm inclined to believe that, that could very well be your problem. Then add the wine, and all other toxic elements in our environment, to the SSRI brew, and the results are that your liver is having a hard time. The liver is a major player in our bodies.

Richard
William
October 06, 2003 02:17AM
I explored copper deficiency years age, and am certain that I had it, as I had been taking zinc every day.
However taking copper proved useless at best for me, although it may have worked for the subjects of the test which proved that copper deficiency is a cause of heart arrhythmia.
Recently I learned that the cause of unbalance in relative levels of copper to zinc (&maybe other minerals) is much more likely to be an excess of estrogens from the food and water we consume.
It makes more sense then to correct the balance of thehormone system, the mineral balance will then be automatically corrected.
If you feel you must take extra copper, liver is the best source, and don't need it often as copper persists for a long time in the body.

William A 65
Mike F. V42
October 06, 2003 03:29AM
Richard,

Thanks as ever for the helpful input. Strange thing about red wine (in addition to the reversatrol benefit of modest imbibing) is that I get virtually NO ectopics on an evening when drinking it as opposed to abstaining......... Although even excessive drinking will NOT produce ectopy whilst drinking or even during the night thereafter, I usually pay with heavier ectopy (VERY heavy if the drinking has been very heavy also) the next day and/or even the day after.

As regards my liver, my liver function tests A-OK, although I do have high billirubin levels (Gilbert's Syndrome) as I was quite badly jaundiced as a baby (although I didn't require a full blood transfusion). As I understand it, the silver lining of Gilbert's is that the billirubin is an efficient scavenger of all the nasties that clog up arteries so that 'Gilberters' get far less heart attacks than does the wider population.

Must kick the SSRIs........... but will only attempt to do so when the time feels right. I gave 'em up a few weeks ago and after a copule or three weeks was getting noticably more anxious about my PACs and PVCs - kinda REALLY worrying about them as opposed to just chillin' about 'em as I tend to do with the 'help' of the SSRI. So I've been back on a small dose this last couple of weeks and am starting to chill a bit more again.

Mike F.
Fran
October 06, 2003 05:18AM
Thought these were quite interesting in relation to copper.

[www.moondragon.org]

Elevated estrogen levels often increase the serum copper levels to more than double normal values, while at the same time red blood cell levels, where copper is important, may actually be lower. This may contribute to some of the psychological or other symptoms seen during pregnancy. The use of estrogen-containing oral contraceptives (birth control pills) contributes to the rise in the amount of serum copper in the body.

During illness, copper is released from the tissues into the blood stream to promote tissue repair. High serum copper readings during illness should not be taken to mean that the copper is a cause of the illness; rather, it is an indication that the body's natural repair processes have been activated.

The use of oral contraceptives and/or tabacco can cause a rise in the amount of copper in the body. Excess serum copper is also characteristic of anemia, cirrhosis of the liver, leukemia, hypoproteinemia, and vitamin B3 (niacin) deficiency. Serum copper levels during pregnancy tend to be higher than normal as well. Wilson's disease is a rare hereditary disorder in which the body is unable to metabolize copper properly, so the metal accumulates in the body.

[www.health-truth.com]
For many years I have been working with clients who complained of both migraine headaches and fibroid growths. After studying the case histories and lab results of many such patients I have observed that migraine suffers appear more prone to fibroids then non-migraine suffers. I have developed a safe natural nutritional protocol to help address this situation. I have found elevated levels of the trace mineral copper in chronic suffers of both migraines and fibroids. Copper relates to the hormone estrogen. It is involved in both the production, release and the detoxification of estrogen. My theory is that an imbalance or toxicity in the level of this mineral is involved with migraines and fibroids. I believe that estrogen which is in excess or that is not balanced by progesterone can cause or worsen both conditions.

Fran
Kathy
October 06, 2003 06:12AM
Several times in Han's newletter I read today, he referred to "Fran's diet". How do I get complete information on the diet?
Carol
October 06, 2003 08:06AM
Oysters are also a good source for copper.
Carol
Fran
October 06, 2003 08:25AM
Kathy

It was my diet. I cannot tolerate any processed food or supplements due to free glutamate content so I follow a fresh and whole food diet with focus on high nutritional quality. I focus on high protein (white fish and oily fish, eggs and meat including liver once a week), high Mg (green leafy veg, pumpkin seeds, almonds, pine nuts etc) vitamins and potassium from fruit and berries - all organic if poss. I eat no sugar, coffee, alcohol etc. On this diet I got rid of AF, but know I only have to go back to former eating and pill popping habits for my Af to return. Since my diet was analysed by Hans I have cut grains and dairy out of my diet. To substitute the grains I have added more fat into my diet including some saturated. I will bake with arrow root and ground almonds, adding flavours from coconut, fruit, honey etc. And I have just learned to make savoury crackers from 1 and half cups of arrow root and a 1/2 cup of ground almonds, 2 eggs and 1/4 cup of coconut milk with garlic, ground mustard seeds, sea salt and parsely. Now I can sit down and eat little canapes with a choice of tasty toppings (made by me of course). Food is such a wonderful commodity - it is my medicine.

Fran
Fran
Re: Han's Report - COPPER - Richard
October 06, 2003 08:31AM
Richard

"During illness, copper is released from the tissues into the blood stream to promote tissue repair. High serum copper readings during illness should not be taken to mean that the copper is a cause of the illness; rather, it is an indication that the body's natural repair processes have been activated. "

I've just taken this quote from the post I posted above as it made me wonder if the body thinks of AF as being an illness. Maybe it sends out copper in some cases to try and heal and that is why you had high copper levels Richard.

Just musing

Fran
Liz H.
October 06, 2003 01:59PM
Fran:

Your post about migraine headaches being related to high copper levels is certainly not true in my case. I get aura migraines and my copper levels were tested this past May, my copper was 0.50 with lab levels 0.53-0.77 mg/L, my copper levels are low, my zinc levels were at the high end of lab values, now that could very well explain why I get palps.

Liz
Richard
October 06, 2003 05:59PM
Fran,

That was very interesting about copper being high during times of illness. Either the heart is the problem or the digestion, and the damage caused, was the problem leading up to AF. I do believe my intestines were damaged, due to not digesting my foods properly, and then the larger particles were damaging the delicate tissues and not being absorbed. I read somewhere that when you have had digestion problems, the worst thing to eat is high fiber foods, such as bran or flax seeds, as they are like a brillo pad within the intestines. The best fiber is from fruit and vegetables. I'll certainly have to read up more on copper, and see what else I can find. One of the tests I took was a toxic element test, but I'm not sure if that will show copper. Thank you so much for finding that info., and spurring me to look into that.

Hope all is well,
Richard
Mike F. V42
Re: FitDay - Q. for Fran
October 06, 2003 07:30PM
Hi Fran,

A quick question please and I hope I'm not being too dense here! I've joined FitDay and have input my breakfast successfully but remain a bit baffled as to how I get the mineral breakdown of what I've eaten?? How do you get to this please?

Mike F.
Kathy
October 07, 2003 01:14AM
Thank you Fran! It's extremely interesting that you've been able to control your afib through diet. I've not been able to tolerate anything with MSG for years, and MSG was definitely a trigger for my afib. I learned to avoid many foods, yet was often surprised to have my typical MSG reactions when unknowingly consuming MSG in foods that I had not realized had MSG.
Fran
October 07, 2003 04:46AM
Hi Mike

The site is a bit confusing. If you look down at the side of the page with the bar dwon it - where it says home, food activities etc, hit on the one that says REPORTS. This will bring a page up that will say calories eaten, calories burned etc (never done these). Click on the one that says NUTRITION - Am I meeting my nutrient requirements. This is where you will get the breakdown of your daily food. It would be interesting to know how yours came up.

Fran
Fran
October 07, 2003 04:49AM
Hi Liz

The more I am reading about copper the more I am beginning to think that high levels and low levels can bring about similar symptoms - a bit like potassium.

Interesting that you were low

Fran
Mike F. V42
October 07, 2003 07:30AM
Fran,

Many thanks. My diet today was 50% low in Zinc, 20% low in magnesium, 75% low in Vit K, and 40% low in folate..............

Please be so kind as to post me (and others here) a typical days diet (main items and quantities) for yourself. I'm intrigued as to how you get 1000mg or so of mag from diet alone! (Unless you eat stacks of nuts).

Cheers,

Mike F.
Fran
October 07, 2003 09:38AM
I haven't done this in a while but what an excuse

Now you will see what a pig I am. 2,560 calories but I'm as thin as a rake. But this is down to my metabolism (very high) and no carbs except veggies.

This doesn't include the two plums and the gravy I also had - couldn't work out how to get them (they only have tinned plums in syrup!!) My calcium is short and only 82.4% of the RDA (along with vit D - trusting in the sun), Mg is 300.53% of the RDA - 961.71mg. EVerything else is way above the RDA including vit C which is at 610.48% of the RDA.....Anyway here is a breakdown

Herring, smoked, kippered cooked large fillet

Oranges, raw, 3

Pork chop, fried, with bone,

Pork, cured, bacon, 5 medium slices,

Pumpkin and/or squash seeds, hulled, unroasted 0.5 cup

Pine nuts (Pignolias) 3 tablespoon

Fruit mixture, dried 0.5 cup

Beef, roast, 2 medium slice

Parsley, raw 6 sprigs

Spinach, raw 40 leafs

Olive oil 1 tablespoon

Onions, mature, raw 5 thin slice

Almonds, NFS 0.4 oz

Tomatoes, raw medium whole (2-3/5" dia)

Broccoli, raw 1 flowerets

Egg, whole, poached 1

Totals 2560 179 139 123

Fat-Soluble Vitamins
Nutrient Units Intake RDA % RDA
Vitamin A mcg_RE 3207 800 400.88
Vitamin D mcg 2.52 5 50.39
Vitamin E mg_ATE 18.55 8 231.93
Vitamin K mcg 1669.8 65 2569

Water-Soluble Vitamins
Vitamin C mg 366.29 60 610.48
Thiamin mg 2.64 1.1 240.1
Riboflavin mg 2.47 1.1 224.26
Vitamin B-6 mg 2.63 1.3 202.03
Vitamin B-12 mcg 16.47 2.4 686.33
Niacin mg 23.75 14 169.63
Folate mcg 998.69 400 249.67
Trace Minerals
Iron mg 32.69 15 217.96
Zinc mg 19.98 12 166.48
Selenium mcg 153.44 55 278.98
Copper mg 2.77 --- ---

Major Minerals
Calcium mg 820.41 1000 82.04
Phosphorus mg 2216.1 700 316.58
Magnesium mg 961.71 320 300.53
Sodium mg 2576.4 --- ---
Potassium mg 5953.3 --- ---
Fran
October 07, 2003 09:46AM
Should have added

source grams cals %total
Total: 2560
Fat: 179 1610 64%
Sat: 51 455 18%
Poly: 37 333 13%
Mono: 79 707 28%
Carbs: 139 418 17%
Fiber: 35 0 0%
Protein: 123 490 19%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%
Mike F. V42
Re: FitDay - Thanks Fran
October 08, 2003 11:59PM
Fran,

Thanks for the sample diet. The words wholesome, nutritious, and healthy don't even begin to do it justice!

I find the fitday site a real boost as regards watching what I eat for calories and nutrition. I'm still falling short on zinc and folate in particular. Most interesting and revealing. 100gm of pine nuts with blueberries for lunch sure did the trick for magnesium though.... if a little heavy on calorific intake........

Mike F.
Fran
October 09, 2003 05:14AM
Good for you Mike. I have been putting my husbands diet through too. ITs amazing to see in black and white what you are short of. My husband eats a lot of empty carbs and it was amazing to see how many calories he consumed - 3,500 or something. Yet it is me that seems to eat a lot. He though is deficient in a lot with loads of calories - and he wonders why he has joint pain and reflux. He has decided to go the supplement way though. His biggest downfall is folate and magnesium and zinc. He already takes fish oil.

Fran
Bill B
October 09, 2003 06:28AM
I went on the fitday site but got scared off by their agreement which seems to allow them to sell your e-mail address. Anyone had a problem of unwanted spam as a result of FitDay?

BillB
Fran
October 09, 2003 07:06AM
I didn't read that bit and haven't noticed anything more than usual. However, my email supposedly filters spam out. However one or two spams get through, nothing much though. But I just delete without reading. You could set yourself up an email adress which you only use for that site. Then clear it periodically as you will know that anything that comes there only came courtesy of signing up to fitday.

Fran
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login