Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Atabrine (Quinacrine) - Hans, PC ????

Posted by Richard 
Richard
Atabrine (Quinacrine) - Hans, PC ????
January 01, 2004 05:11AM
Happy New Year,

I stumbled across this article on a drug called Atabrine, and wondered if you have heard of it. It inhibits platelet aggregation and restores normal sinus rhythm of atrial fib in dogs. It also inhibits Na/Ca exchange to stabilize membranes. It has antiviral/bacterial effects, as well. I found it quite interesting, but don't know if it is still available.

[www.quinacrine.com]

Richard
Hans Larsen
Re: Atabrine (Quinacrine) - Hans, PC ????
January 01, 2004 06:15AM
Richard,

Looks like a fascinating drug. I printed the article and will look at it tonight. At first glance though it looks like it could have some fairly significant side effects. I don't think it is available anymore.

Hans
Richard
Re: Atabrine (Quinacrine) - Hans, PC ????
January 06, 2004 02:11AM
San Francisco - Doctors at a San Francisco hospital have treated two patients - one with the human form of mad cow disease, and the second with Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease - by digging up an antiquated drug.

The two were treated with quinacrine, an obsolete malaria drug widely used during World War II to treat malarial infections of the brain. Following the war, newer drugs replaced it.

Recently, however, researchers found in a random screening process that the drug killed mouse cells infected with the agent that causes mad cow disease, and they decided to test it quickly in people. A clinical trial is scheduled to start this fall.

Dr. Bruce Miller of the School of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, says researchers are still "far from a cure."

"We are all hoping the drug will have some efficacy, but our eyes are wide open," he says.

Details of how the new use for the old drug was discovered are published in a recent issue of The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
[www.dvmnewsmagazine.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login