Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

side effects of Flecainide

Posted by Sherry K. 
Sherry K.
side effects of Flecainide
December 29, 2003 02:30AM
Hello: I was diagnosed with A-Fib in July, 2003. I have had 5 cardio versions since July 2003 so I have finally accepted that I do have A-Fib. I went on Flecainide December 3, 2003. I also have high blood pressure and was on Atenol and Enalapril. My cardiologist took me off atenol 3 days prior to starting Flecainide.

I feel pretty lousy most of the time. I have not had an Afib episode though since starting on the Flecainide. I have these sensations throughout my body--mostly upper body. At night my legs ache. Sometimes during the day it feels as though my heart is beating pretty fast. I have very low energy.

I have called both the cardiologist and primary doctor to report these symtoms--Not a lot of support from either but maybe I'm not asking the right questions. I see the cardiologist tomorrow and am hoping that someone out there has experienced what I am experiencing or can share some of their experience iwth Flecainide.
Thanks.
Re: side effects of Flecainide
December 29, 2003 05:05AM
Sherry - Sorry to hear you have joined the afib group, but welcome in spite of the beast!

I have been on Flecanide for abut 3.5 years - first 50 mg. twice a day and then 100 mg. twice a day.

The first symptoms I noticed were the fatigue. I also have tired and aching legs - but not all the time. Dry mouth and dry eyes also from Flecanide. Thinning hair which could be the Flec or from a low thyroid condition which I previously had but is now normalized.

My heart rate on flecanide has always been in the 60 - 75 range...at night much lower - as low as 50 bpm. My blood pressure is normal and low normal.

Flecanide is an effective drug when one finds the correct dosage. Unfortunately, as with most drugs, there are side effects. It's a Catch 22 but we don't have alot of choices. None of the Beta Blockers helped and Flecanide helped - mostly.

Jackie
Kerry
December 29, 2003 05:09AM
If the side effects from daily use are too much, you might try using the
drug on demand. I take flec. at the onset of an episode and twelve
hours later and I convert always within the 12-14 hour period. It has
kept me out of the Cardioversion lab since starting it nine months ago.
I learned about this approach on this board. Since the flec seems to be keeping you in rhythm, you need to consider it carefully before stopping.
In my case, the flec actually made my episodes more frequent, but shorter
in duration, which is not uncommon. As a result I had to go off of it. My
doc wanted me to start another daily drug, but I refused and despite
her lack of confidence in the on demand approach, she agreed. It has worked beautifully.

As far a side effects, when I was taking the drug it wasn't so bad, but
I was fatigued. I would give it a little more time and try not to think about it too much. Many of the physical symptoms that we all experience with Afib
stems from the anxiety about the condition. And since you have undergone
five cardioversions since July(which is a very high number) I would imagine
that you are going through some anxious times with this stuff.
Doug
December 29, 2003 08:33AM
I have had AF since the fall of 2000. I am 57 years old and a lifetime phys. ed. teacher and coach. I still play full ct basketball and jog and play tennis. The flecainide pills were no fun. I had several AF attacks on the drug so why take it?? I learned from others on the board about taking flecaindie "on demand". I have had only a couple of attacks since late summer and the flecainide taken after the attack has brought me back into NSR without going into the hospitol for cardoversion. I very much like this approach. I have not bothered to tell my cardiologist...I see him next month and will tell him then. People have stated that the drug flecainide will lose its effectiveness if you take it for a long period of time. That is another reason why I stopped taking the drup on a regular basis.
Happy New Year! Doug
PJ
December 29, 2003 01:57PM
Hi Sherry--

I have been taking Flecainide since early October. Like Kerry, the drug seems to be making me have more episodes. I have gone from 3-5 episodes a week to 1-3 episodes a day. The duration of the episodes has shortened on Flec, however, and they usually last about 2 hours now. I take 100mg 2x daily. We tried to go to a higher dosage but I could not tolerate it. I do experience side effects, mostly fatigue but also some blurry vision and nausea about 2 hours after I take it. I also have dry mouth. I am going to talk to my cardio about going off the drug as I think, for me, the side effects outweigh the benefits I seem to be getting. I have read where some have excellent outcomes with this drug. Good luck to you.
David S
December 29, 2003 04:37PM
Hi Sherry,

I, like others posted here, take Flec. On demand. I take 50 mg. at onset of af I then take 50 mg. after ½ hour depending on heart rate and how strong the pulse is. I have tried 100 mg. but the duration etc is the same. About 1/2 to 2 max.

I crush the tab in the mouth and wash it down with WW I have beside my bed. It does make my mouth tingle a bit and I do seem to get a bit listless but not to bad. Have never taken Flec full time, my cardio put me “on demand “ straight away.

I’m finding now though most times my af is early am and as I am in bed I am now toughing af out-relax!-deep breathing and it is only lasting from ½ to 1 hour and reverting to NSR, no meds. David S vlaf 66 yy.
Charles
January 06, 2004 02:42PM
Hi Sherry--

I have taken Flecanide (100mg twice daily) for 4 yrs, following 3 ER cardioversions in 3 months at the end of 1999. For me, Flecanide was terrific--I have averaged 6 episodes per yr. for the last 3 yrs., that last for 12 - 36 hrs. Unfortunately, I recently had to have another cardioversion and am in line for a consult with Dr. Natale at his Marin County office. My experience with Flecanide side effects has been a general lethargy and occasional dizziness, particularly when I move my eyes quickly or to the extreme right or left. I also wondered for a couple of years if it was causing a slight memory problem--short-term variety. However, this could be due to the ToprolXL as well, so I can't pin it on Flecanide for sure. When I have an attack, I add an extra 100mg in-between my usual doses.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login