Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

nexium

Posted by jack 
jack
nexium
December 28, 2003 11:36PM
I am finding that when I am taking Nexium, which has esomeprazole magnesium that I have never gone into afib. I am already taking the mag. recommended by this board, does anyone know if the mag in nexiem is different?
Carol
Re: nexium
December 29, 2003 02:20AM
Dear Jack,

What is Nexium?

Carol
Howie
December 29, 2003 02:47AM
December 29, 2003 05:23AM
Jack -

The magnesium form in Nexium is listed as esomeprazole magnesium. Magnesium is bound to another compound to create the product. This one works by inhibiting acid secretion by the parietal cells in the stomach.

I haven't checked the ingredients to see if they list how much elemental magnesium a person receives in one dose, but judging from the size of the Nexium capsule and the size of a typical magnesium - I'd venture to say - not much magnesium. Most likely the source of your relief from afib comes from the quieting of the vagus nerve. If it works for you, that's great. You could have discovered an easy remedy for controlling afib.

Jackie

If anyone is interested in an article that appeared in the Boston Globe in November of 2002, go to this web site.... [www.mercola.com]

It's about expensive remedies for common and easy to sure problems. Dr. Mercola's comment at the end of the article is this:

"As I said earlier this year:

I can assure you the number of people who actually need this drug is less than one in 100 of those taking it. In other words, people are being prescribed drugs for heartburn when it is one of the easiest medical problems to treat. Most people ignore that heartburn is an important clue from their body and rely on a drug to suppress the symptoms.

This is the equivalent of driving your car and ignoring the engine light that comes on on your dashboard to warn you of a problem. Using a Band-Aid like Prilosec to cover the light allows you to ignore the problem and, although it may solve the problem in the short-term, the implications for ignoring this important clue are quite obvious. You could be looking at more costly repairs by not acknowledging the symptom.

So what is the solution for heartburn?

There are several key points:

1. Drink adequate amounts of clean water.
2. Follow the nutrition plan being careful to avoid sugar.
3. Use one to two cloves of raw fresh garlic per day to eradicate H. pylori, which is a factor for many with heartburn.
4. Use high-quality probiotics.

And what is the solution for not getting burned by the pharmaceutical companies any more?

Knowledge.

You can start with some of the "Related Articles" below, and I also strongly recommend you read "Trust Us, We're Experts." This accessible and often startling book blows the lid right off the industries who manipulate "scientific fact" to ridiculous (but, sadly, effective) ends to sell gobs of their harmful products. It truly belongs on every American's bookshelf."
John S.
December 29, 2003 06:31AM
Carol,

It reduces secretion of stomach acid. I believe that the patent on omeprazole has expired and that everybody and his brother is producing dirt cheap versions of Prilosec (or whatever brand name by which omeprazole is/was sold in your jurisdiction).

Nexium is a slightly different chemical compound, so it has a different patent. Voila! Seventeen more years of patent protection. The question (for users) is, is Nexium any better than ordinary omeprazole?

John S.
Sammy
December 29, 2003 06:47AM
Jackie,I`ve tried all of your solutions and nothing worked until I began using Aciphex about a year and a half ago.I agree that using a PPI drug is a Bandaid approach but what about us who try all known solutions and still have the problem.My dad died as a result of years of GERD so I feel like I`m not taking that same chance.
Richard
December 29, 2003 07:07AM
Sammy,

What is your diet like, on a typical day?

Richard
Debbi
Aciphex: To Sammy
December 29, 2003 07:36AM
Sammy,
Could you provide more info on Aciphex, I've tried Pepcid, Prevacid, now doc wants me to try Protonix.......I'm about to give up on these drugs for GERD.

Debbi
David Price
PPIs
December 29, 2003 09:43AM
Dear All,

Once you have a hiatus hernia (as I have) then believe me, there's not much you can do about it. I've tried all kinds of dietary regimes, but discovering omeprazole was a god-send. It not only stopped the acidic build-up, but it also had a dramatic effect on the a-fib episodes. I subsequently went almost 2 years without an episode. Adding mag Glycinate has further improved my situation So Jack, I'm not surprised you're finding benefit in Nexium!!
Sammy
Re: Aciphex: To Sammy
December 29, 2003 09:45AM
Lets see...Today for breakfast I had an apple with some natural peanut butter(non hydrogenated)along with some lowfat yogurt.For lunch I had a salad with a piece of Wasa multigrain crispbread.Dinner I`m just finishing making a veggie shepards pie(beans,veggies,potatos and stock...I`m pretty reasonable about how I eat but I`m no longer a vegetarian...I will eat cereal frequently for breakfast with a fruit...Anyway,I dont know if this helps.I really did try making lists of non acid vs acid producing foods and stuck to it without results...PS,aciphex is the same class of drug as Nexium and Prilosec.Nexium just never worked for me....Jack-sorry,I didnt mean to divert attention from your situation.When I had afib the PPI drugs didnt help with breakthrough.
Richard
December 30, 2003 03:38AM
Sammy,

This isn't advice for you to change your diet, only what I've seen, as it pertains to me, and what I know has helped Fran become AF free. Once I avoided potatoes, beans, bread, rice, sugar, peanuts (they are legumes), and all processed foods, my GERD went completely away on the second day, and has not returned, with the exception of having a small portion of potatoes or having a French dip once, which then gave me acid indigestion, but not GERD. The reaction to the bread was worse than the potatoes, however. I absolutely cannot eat cereal, as it hits my stomach like lead. Oatmeal on occasion, has no effects, but I do that rarely. Have you ever tried proteins with salads and vegetables for each meal, for a few days in a row, to see what your reaction is? By reducing the acid in your stomach, you are rendering the nutrients less absorbable, esp. Vit B12 which is very important for methylation of the neurotransmitters. There is no doubt in my mind, that Prevacid is what caused my arrhythmia, but I cannot prove that.

I had acid indigestion and GERD for years. It was so bad, that I developed scar tissue around the esophageal sphincter that had to be surgically repaired. I literally had to jump up and down to get my food to go down, or sometimes regurgitate the food, as it would get stuck. After the repair, is when I went on Prevacid, and then a few years later arrhythmia appeared. Prior to Prevacid, I lived on Tums. I stopped Prevacid, after the light bulb went off about its effects, and took digestive enzymes with some help, but everything changed, when I made the dietary change to mostly Paleo, and by the second day, my GERD was gone. I don't believe GERD is genetic. It is dietary habits that don't agree with your body's system, and your body is trying to tell you this. So to cover up the symptons, is to ignore your body's warning signals, that what you're eating is not working.

So, Sammy and all reading this, pls. don't take this negatively, as I really am trying to help you see, based on my own experience, that there is a deeper rooted problem, and until you make the necessary changes and stick with it, you will keep experiencing the negative effects of your diet.

Richard
Sammy
December 30, 2003 03:55AM
Richard,thanks for your input.I`ll look into the Paleo diet and in the new year I`m going to try to stop taking the PPI med if I can...The hardest part is giving up all those foods I love.Legumes and potatoes are foods that are a staple for many people in this world and I would say that those types of foods are healthy to eat.The other issue is that I`m underweight as it is so it`s hard for me to keep weight on-not off....Anyway,HAPPY NEW EARS...
Kerry
December 30, 2003 04:25AM
I had GERD for years in the late eighties and early nineties. I tried all kinds
of dietary changes. I then saw Dr. Jon Sarno for back pain and his
treatment cured me of all back pain and completely eliminated my
GERD. If you really want to get to the underlying problem, as Richard
proposes, go see him. It's about what
goes on in your mind that causes these physical problemsl From reading
your past posts, you seem like a high strung person (as are most on this
board and I don't mean that negatively at all) You probably place a lot of demands on yourself, etc. This is the underlying cause of many of the physical problems that many of us experience, including Afib. Afib might
be harder to beat using Sarno's methods, but I believe that he can cure you
of your GERD and probably other problems you have.
He's in New York City. I believe you live there also.
If it does't work, or if you have already seen him, then perhaps the dietary
changes might help the symptoms.
Richard
December 30, 2003 07:24AM
Sammy,

Just to let you know, I did not go Paleo to lose weight, I did it for survival. If you are high strung, as Kerry indicated, then you possibly could be having problems with hyperactivity induced from the sugars in the carbs you are eating. Whatever the reason, Sammy, something is not working for you, and if you want to get to the bottom of it, usually the first place to start is by changing one's eating habits. You don't have to say it will be forever, just try from a few days to a week, and see how you feel. It's entirely up to you, however.

Richard
Sammy
December 30, 2003 08:08AM
I started today.Thanks for your post again..I`m really going to give it a try.I already downloaded some good Paleo websites and I have my new diet posted on my frig...I guess this means if I have sushi I`ll have to leave the rice alone....Hmmmm
Richard
December 30, 2003 02:09PM
Best of luck, Sammy. Let me know how you feel, after you've experimented. I hate to keep throwing things at you, but when PC, the pathologist that frequents this site, eats sushi, he goes into AF, because of the free glutamate or MSG, so just be aware.

Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login