Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Licorice as a trigger

Posted by Greg 
Greg
Licorice as a trigger
December 17, 2003 04:18AM
I have been a vagal affiber for over 3 years (I'm 50) and fortunately only have about 2-3 episodes per year.

My last 2 episodes were preceeded by eating a (much too) large amount of licorice.

Noticing this commonality, I did a search for the combination of 'licorice' and 'atrial' and found the following items:

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

which indicated that licorice had an undesireable effect on plasma ANP which I know I have read about in conjunction with Afib.

and another that had the following information:

1: Z Kardiol. 1991 Jun;80(6):389-91. Related Articles, Links

[Induction of arrhythmia by licorice abuse]

[Article in German]

Bocker D, Breithardt G.

Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik Munster, Innere Medizin C, Wilhelms-Universitat, Munster.

We report two cases of licorice-induced arrhythmias. In both cases the ingestion of large amounts of licorice caused a marked hypokalemia. The importance of licorice-induced hypokalemia for the development of arrhythmias is underestimated from the small number of published cases. We conclude that patients with a predisposition for arrhythmias should avoid licorice candies.

Publication Types:
Case Reports

PMID: 1926984 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Does anyone else think that they may have seen a relationship between licorice and afib episodes?

Greg
Richard
Re: Licorice as a trigger
December 17, 2003 04:39AM
Yes Greg, I quit taking diglycerrized licorice for indigestion because I found it depleted potassium stores. Even though it wasnt' a trigger for me, I didn't want to risk it. What that has told you, however, is that potassium levels are a problem for you. Boost your potassium levels by eating lots of fresh salads and vegetables and high potassium fruits.

Richard
Carol
December 17, 2003 07:07AM
Richard,

Do you know of other foods, besides licorace, that are known to deplete potassium?

Carol
Greg
December 17, 2003 07:25AM
Sounds like I better substitute bananas for licorice!
Greg
Richard
December 17, 2003 12:51PM
Carol,

Sorry, but I don't. I just happened to come across that info. and posted it quite a while back, and stopped taking it.

Richard
Dean
December 17, 2003 02:26PM
Greg,
I am a GERD afibber. I used to have the same amount of afib episodes as you, but in August cut out all processed sugar and have not had an attack since February. Even pacs and flutter have gone.
I bet its the high sugar content in the licorice that is causing your afib.
Dean
December 18, 2003 01:32AM
I was told to stay away from all types of licorice because it could increase blood pressure and at that time, they were thinking I was getting Bp spikes that caused the afib. I didn't consume any candy-type licorice, but was doing the diglycerrized licorice for digestion.

If it is candy that you are eating - it could also be the sugar and the insulin response known to be a trigger.
Jackie
Babs
December 18, 2003 03:12AM
Ops i just had 2 small nibbly pieces of licorice not noticed any effects but always know not to eat to much......my son and i were always eating it but stopped long time ago till i got Panda from health food shop which i have had before.

Babs
Fran
December 18, 2003 07:28AM
I quite often chew on a liquorice root (twig) and get no symptoms from it. But it feels like a great gidestive aid. Maybe it is because there is no sugar in it and it is natural.

Fran who looks for things to heighten BP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login