Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Attn: Steve

Posted by Cathy 
Cathy
Attn: Steve
December 16, 2003 12:44PM
Hi Steve-

I ready with interest your post in "ready for PVA". I can relate!!
I was diagnosed with AF in August although I am sure I have had it, maybe more mildy, for years.

The cardiologist I was referred to put me on Digoxin, Tenormin, and Aspirin, more or less patted me on the head and out the door he went.

I began reading, reading, reading, on here, and got Hans' book. Made an appointment with an EP at Jonns Hopkins, who I saw last week. I'm now on Flecainide, and Toprol XL. You said the Flec made your heart go haywire for three days??!! This IS ME!!!!!! I started it last Wed. and have been in and out of AF since Sunday monring. I called the EP yesterday, who is now out of the country. The nurse said most likely okay and haven't given it enough time to work. Am to call back next week.

What were your symtoms on Flecainide?? My AF typically comes about every 4 to 6 days and is LONG. Usually 30 to 39 hours. Like you I have never been to the ER, or been cardioverted. Nobody has ever even suggested going to the ER, and like you, I'd be there at least 6 times a month!!!!!

I guess this is long and winded but I'm just scared, annoyed, anxious, disgusted, you name it. I know I am not alone but sometimes it sure feels like it.

Cathysmiling smiley
Richard
Re: Attn: Steve
December 16, 2003 04:35PM
Cathy,

FWIW, flecainide worked immediately for me with no problem, unlike every other med I tried. It may not be right for you. Is there another doctor on call that you could speak to, since yours is out of town. If you had AF mildly pre-diagnosis, and the meds are making it worse, you should really consider speaking with the doc and not taking meds, except on demand, or changing to another med. If I were you, I go directly to the office and insist on speaking with someone who can help you.

Richard
Cathy
December 16, 2003 11:39PM
Thank you for your input, Richard. I am about an hour and a half from Johns Hopkins where I went for the consultation. I did call on Monday, and the "fellow" on call, returned my call. She told me that the medication had not had time to properly work, and to give it another week. At my appointment, the EP also told me it would take two weeks to get to the right level in my bloodstream.

I have been in and out of AF since Sunday. I should clarify that when I said I had mild afib previously, I meant in years previous to this one, when it got so obvious that something was wrong, and I finally got a diagnosis (August). My episode are typically LONG, 30 to 39 hours twice a week. However, previous to the Flecainide, they were not like I have been having since Sunday, off and on, hours on end, and then major "skipping" of beats. It's all just so disgusting. I will try to wait it out until Monday and then call or drive there and insist on something. It's so hard to know what the right thing is to do!!!

Hope you have a wonderful day!!!

Cathywinking smiley
Richard
December 17, 2003 04:33AM
Cathy,

Have your doctor pull out your serum blood tests, and explain them to you. The reason I say this, is maybe you were high in calcium, then a Ca channel blocker may be better for you. If your sodium (Na) levels were normal, then a sodium channel blocker may not be, as in flecainide. Ask him/her why they chose a sodium channel blocker over a Ca channel blocker. Also ask them if your phosphorous and potassium levels were OK. Make them take a harder look at your serum results, because I don't think they always look at them that closely. Tell them you want them to do blood work for your other minerals, as well, i.e. zinc, copper, molybdenum, selenium etc. Don't take no for an answer. Just explain that you want to get to the bottom of the imbalances going on within. Get a copy of your tests, as well, so you'll have them to refer to.

Richard
Cathy
December 17, 2003 01:16PM
THANK YOU for this information, Richard. I have had NO blood tests done, so this is a good place to start. You can bet I'll be requesting everything you've suggested!!!!!!

Cathysmiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login