Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2 months post ablation

Posted by Jose 
Jose
2 months post ablation
December 16, 2003 10:18AM
Hello everyone,

Well, its almost been two months, tomorrow marks 8 weeks since my ablation at Centinela hospital. So far, with the exception of the first week after ablation and a brief 5 second burst the following week, I have not felt any AFib at all. I do continue to have a few skipped beats everyday, but they have been decreasing in number every week. I am only taking 50mg of Atenolol and 81mg Aspirin and the Dr. suggested taking Lipitor, as my cholesterol has increased since the last blood test. I'm considering other more natural ways to lower cholesterol first before taking more medication, only time will tell.

The only thing that was concerning me was my resting heart rate. It is now 80bpm, instead of the usual 65bpm before the procedure. The Dr. said this was normal and that it will likely slow down over time and as I increase my level of conditioning. I only recently starting walking 1 hr. daily and very light weight lifting.

Overall, I feel great, better than I have in the past 4 years since being diagnosed with AF. In fact, I feel well enough to resume one of my favorite hobbies, roadracing. I'll be participating in an event at Willow Springs Raceway on January 3rd, to welcome the New Year. Now I have to find time to work on my car again!

My family and I remain optimistic that this has 'cured' me to some extent. But I know that 'it' could return at any time. I would like to thank everyone for your support and prayers and especially Hans Larsen for creating this forum. I wish you all a safe and AF free Holidays!

Jose
JRBabb
Re: 2 months post ablation
December 16, 2003 01:51PM
Great for you Jose,

I wish my news was as good. I have had about 15 short bouts of afib, with 2 major one 6 hrs, the other 2 hours. Many Many Many Many PACs.

The doctor still says its part of the healing, but i am beginning to wonder.

babb
Pam
December 17, 2003 01:44AM
Jose:
You should reconsider the Lipitor. As much as I have heard such bad things about Statin drugs with long term use, I think in the case of ablation that there is some other reason for prescribing it for the first three months. I don't think it is to reduce your cholesterol, but rather has something to do with reducing inflamation. I'm hoping someone else will jump in here who knows more about it than I do.

Sounds like you're a success story anyway Jose. Congratulations in advance, and get your script filled.

Pam
Billo
December 17, 2003 07:15AM
Congratulations, Jose!

That's the kind of news we want to hear. I'm hopeful that you will be afib free for the rest of your life! Today is my one month anniversary of a PVA at Cleveland. My first three weeks were fantastic - no afib, and mostly NSR. The last week has been much worse - afib, bigeminy, and too much "skipping." Last Tuesday I ended up in a local ER because my rate got too high one day. Discouraging, to be sure. Your news is encouraging, so thanks for sharing it.

I'm taking Lipitor - at the advice of Natale - but only until the three months is up. I don't want to be on a statin drug long-term. My understanding is that it's use is related to the reduction of inflammation, as well.

May God bless you and give you a joyful holiday season - afib free!

Billo
Jose
December 17, 2003 12:26PM
JRBabb,

My Dr. tells me that it's normal to get many episodes post ablation. So keep hoping for the best, I'm sure you will have a good outcome.

Pam,

I am considering taking Lipitor, although its strange that they did not tell me to take it until now. My last blood test showed that my cholesterol was higher than the previous test, done the day of the procedure. I have to stop by with the Dr. to talk to him about that too.

Billo,

Your experience within the past week sounds like mine first 12 days after the ablation. I had to increase my intake of Atenolol to 50mg to keep my heart rate down. It has eventually been returning to normal over the past couple of months, although still at 80bpm. I think we all go thru some periods of 'unrest' before everything settles down. That's why I'm still careful not to push myself too hard.

All, thanks for your kind words! My best wishes and prayers go to all of you and your families during this holiday season!

Jose
Newman
December 17, 2003 06:46PM

Jose,

Dr. Natale suggested that I take Lipitor for three months after my ablation. That is good enough for me. I believe he gives the same suggestion to all ablation patients. I think you should consider taking it.

Newman
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login