Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

For Rich Burr

Posted by Cathy 
Cathy
For Rich Burr
December 15, 2003 10:06AM
Rich-

Who did your ablation at Hopkins? Did you see an EP there also? I just had my first appointment there last Monday, with Dr. Tomaselli. He put me on Flecainide in addition to my Toprol. So far no improvement. He said I need to fail a few rhythm control drugs before considering ablation. Thanks for your input. And GLAD to hear you're doing so well!!!!!!!!

Cathysmiling smiley
Pam
Re: For Rich Burr
December 16, 2003 09:03AM
Cathy:
Hugh Calkins did Rich's ablation and it was apparently successful. He also did mine on March 25, 2002 and my mitral valve was destroyed with the loop mapping catheter. Had to have open heart surgery for a mitral valve replacement, and post op went into a coma and remained so and on a ventillator for 2 weeks. Had a stroke and scarred corneas, ulner nerve damage in my right hand, and right sided weakness, short term memory difficulties, congitive thinking difficulties, and problems with equilibrium. I am on social security disability. I am an RN and had 2 small businesses that have been lost.
Rich Burr claims complete success and I hope they learned something from what happened to me. I love to hear peoples success stories and feel rather sorry for myself, as on top of almost loosing my life, I still have afib. Forturnatly I am in the vast minority, but I hope that people will remember what CAN happen. I feel like a guinea pig. At least I'm still alive, and there was a time that all my family thought that I was going to die. I remember very little of it and what I do remember was a nightmare and still is.

Pam
Cathy
December 16, 2003 12:47PM
Pam, I have talked to you via e-mail several times. I know you had the worst possible story one could imagine. When I went for my consultation the other day I asked WHO was doing the ablations and yep, still the same guy.

Did I read that you have been afib free for four months and think it has something to do with walking daily???? That is wonderful!!!

I have been "fibbing" since Sunday, on my new med, Flecainide, and Toprol. So much for getting relief. Instead I feel worse. I just don't know what to do. The stroke factor looms over me like a big dark cloud.

Cathy
Pam
December 17, 2003 01:31AM
Cathy:
Sorry about that; I do that often and I guess it's part of the "short term memory loss". I hope that you have a sense of faith and trust in your EP. I have to say that all the time I was sick and in a coma, it was Hugh Calkins who was there on a daily basis, communicating with my family. Often even twice a day. He didn't have to do that. As soon as I went to open heart surgery, I was switched to primary care of the surgeon, and Dr. Calkins really never had to see me again, but he is a very caring person, and felt terrible about what happened to me. Then the surgeon left town the day after my surgery and went on vacation for 2 weeks. I know he was shocked to come back to Baltimore and find me in a coma and on a ventillator. One of the problems with huge teaching hospitals is lack of continuity of care. If you should run into problems, you're seen on a given day by which ever resident has "the duty" that day. Seemed to my family that no one was really in charge. So there are pros and cons to teaching facilities.
One advantage at Hopkins is that after what happened to me, I feel that no one will be more cautious with those mapping catheters than they will be. Unfortunate that we have to learn these things at such a cost.
Cathy, did you ask them if they are using ICE technology? Also, they suggested that perhaps one reason that the loop became entangled and they were unable to release it, was that they were using a new "decapolar" catheter, or wone with ten sensors instead of the usual five. They thought that may have contributed to the entanglement; however, the catheter manufacturer directions say "should you encounter entanglement DO NOT pull or force the catheter out, but the patient should be taken immediately to surgery to extract the catheter and avoid damage to the mitral valve.
I also think that Hopkins probably has about as good a success rate as any of the major centers, being #6 rated hospital in the country for Cardiology (US News and World Report). I don't think I am part of their stats since they never called or sent any survey to see whether I had afib. I guess they probably knew it was not real likely a success. When the catheter became entangled, they had done 2 PVs, the two upper. One of the two lower was ablated during open heart surgery, but the fourth was not done. I don't think I was billed for the ablation, but they did bill my insurance company for the open heart/valve replacement $106,000.00 which my insurance company paid. My insurance company then raised my rates. My insurance now is unbelievable, unaffordable. I have to find ways to pay it, as after what happened to me, no one would sell me health insurance. Hopefully one day I can get Blue Cross from Medicare.
Have you set a date yet Cathy? Stay in touch. I'll be thinking about you.
One last thing, you posted this message to Rich Burr and I don't usually answer for other people, and gave him 24 hours before I posted my message. I don't think he gets on too often. Last I heart he was afib free from the start!! He's probably up and about his business.

Be well Cathy,
Pam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login